Dassault Mirage 2000C (KH32020) - 1:32 Kitty Hawk

Julien

Dassault Mirage 2000C (KH32020)

1:32 Kitty Hawk

spacer.png

The Mirage 2000C is a forth generation Jet Fighter built by Dassualt for the French Air Force. Like its predecessor the Mirage III its main feature is a large delta wing.  The aircraft was designed and built in a surprising 27 months by Dassault using a lot of data they already had developed for the "Future Combat Aircraft" and the so called Super Mirage,  The C in the title for the fighter stands for Chasseur or Hunter.  As well as two internal 30mm DEFA cannon the aircraft is armed in the air to air role with Matra R550 magic, Matra Super 530D,  MBDA MICRA Missiles. As well as the Mirage C there is a B model trainer, N model Nuclear Strike, and D model Ground attack version in service with the French Air Force. Mirage 2000 aircraft have been sold to Egypt, India, Peru, The UEA, Greece, Tiawan, Brazil, and Qatar.

The Kit

This is a complete new tool from Kitty Hawk, The kit arrives on 7 Sprues of plastic a small PE fret and 2 resin parts (the pilot and the afterburner nozzle). There are a further 6 large sprues which account for all the weapons and fuel tanks supplied for the main kit.  Construction starts off with the cockpit. The multi part seat is made up with PE handles and belts. This can then be fitted into the tub along with the flight controls. The instrument panel and HUD are then added.  As far as I can tell these are for the French version and although they differ for the export versions these are not catered for in the cockpit.  Instruments are provided as decals. 

spacer.png

Construction then moves on to the front wheel well and landing gear. These are made up and the completed bay is put aside for later. It looks like the leg can not be added later. The cannon bays, and main wheel wells are then made up and also put aside for later. While we are doing this the  full engine is made up for later as well. Then the cannon bays and main gear wells can be added to the insides of the main fuselage halves. The front gear well, cockpit and engine are added and the main fuselage is closed up.  Even though there is a full engine there is no intake trunking supplied for inside the fuselage. 

spacer.png

Next up the multipart intakes are made up and installed onto the fuselage sides. There is a radar dish for the front if the modeller wants to display this which can then be fitted, if not the nose cone can go on. Now we move to the wings. These are a two part main upper/lower but have separate and pose-able slats and flaps. Flap actuators also need to be added. The wings feature the airbrakes which are quite noticeable on the aircraft and these can be opened. To the wings themselves the gear wells need to be built up. The vertical fin has a pose able rudder. There are also optional fin tips, however no mention in the instructions which to use for what scheme so the modeller will need to do their own research. At the rear end the resin afterburner nozzle is added 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The main landing gear then needs building up and adding. All gear bay doors then need to be added as well. The airbrakes need fixing on either in their opened or closed state.  To finish off various aerial and antenna need to be added along with the refuelling probe and the canopy. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Weapons & Tanks

An impressive 6 sprues carry all manner of stores and pylons for your Mirage 2000C. They include;

• 2000L Drop Tanks
  • 1300l DROP Tanks
  • EADS Scalp/Apache cruise missiles
  • AUF-2 Twin Stores carriers
  • Matra R550 Magic 2 Missiles
  • Matra M550 Magic Training rounds
  • Matra MICA Missiles (IR & EM Heads)
  • Matra Super 530 missile 
  • Aerospatiale AS-30L missiles
  • LRF-4 68mm Rocket pods
  • CC630 Twin 30mm Gun pod
  • Thompson ATLIS II Targeting pod
  • Thompson PDL-CT & PDL-CTS laser designation pods

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Decals

The two decal sheets look to be well printed. There is minimal carrier film and the colours are sharp, everything looks colour dense.

From the box you can build one of five aircraft

• Mirage 2000C 118-AX French Air Force (Grey colours Tiger Stripe on fin top)
  • Mirage 2000C 330-AS French Air Force (Grey colours Tiger Stripe on fin top & Tiger on RHS Fin)
  • Mirage 2000C 103-KV French Air Force (Grey colours Large tiger face on both sides of the Fin)
  • Mirage 2000C  5-OP French Air Force (dessert colours)
  • Mirage 2000-5 EL Taiwanese Air Force 
  • Mirage 2000-EG Greek Air Force (Checked fin with graphics)
  • Mirage 2000H KF101 Indian air Force
  • Mirage 2000C No.4949 Brazilian Air Force

spacer.png

spacer.png

Conclusion

The plastic looks great, and there is an impressive array of marking options available. The addition of PE and resin parts including good figures makes this an all round exciting package from Kitty Hawk. Very highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

Available soon from major hobby shops

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Nice review !

May I propose two little corrections :

3 hours ago, Julien said:

Mirage 2000C 118-AX French Air Force

In fact, this aircraft, illustrated in the boxart, is a Mirage 2000-5F, not a version C.

3 hours ago, Julien said:

Mirage 2000-5 EL Taiwanese Air Force

The Taiwanese versions are EI and DI (i stands for Isola contract)...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thepureness said:

Thanks for the review Julien. One kit on my list to get. 

Where did you buy it? Or was it sent through as a sample? 

Sample direct from KH

Thanks for the review!

Looks quite complete, par maybe different IPs...

And again a strange selection of ordnance...

2x 1300l tanks, when 1 Mirage can only carry one at a time,

rocket pods ... why?

Twin store carrier, but no bombs.. at least those were used on actual C models in Africa until very recently!

Only 2 Micas, when a -5 can carry 6, oh well, --- the pylons are there :)

The rest is, and looks quite ok on  the photos, at least for synergies with a comming 2-seater!

I am really thinking of getting one, even it is not my scale (48) but probably the BEST M2000 out there in any scale!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thank you very much Julien for taking the time to post this for us. One question for you please: are those Italian roundels I see? Or has there been a color shift in the image and they are actually orange, white, and green (for India)?

Edited by Hobo

5 hours ago, Hobo said:

Thank you very much Julien for taking the time to post this for us. One question for you please: are those Italian roundels I see? Or has there been a color shift in the image and they are actually orange, white, and green (for India)?

Hi, those are Indian roundels, no way to be Italian... :D :yes:

Ciao.

Davide

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, davmarx said:

Hi, those are Indian roundels, no way to be Italian... :D :yes:

Ciao.

Davide

Red - White - Green = Italian Air Force. Orange - White - Green = Indian Air Force. But then again, if the wine is flowing in Italy, maybe they are Indian Air Force roundels! If that is the case, then I salute you my friend! I am enjoying a glass as I speak, so I say CHEERS! When I was in the USAF, I was able to visit Italy twice and I have nothing but great memories. It is a magnificent country!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hobo said:

Red - White - Green = Italian Air Force. Orange - White - Green = Indian Air Force. But then again, if the wine is flowing in Italy, maybe they are Indian Air Force roundels! If that is the case, then I salute you my friend! I am enjoying a glass as I speak, so I say CHEERS! When I was in the USAF, I was able to visit Italy twice and I have nothing but great memories. It is a magnificent country!

Cheers to you too, Hobo. 🥂

The colours of those roundels are "a little strange", but A.M.I. (Aeronautica Militare Italiana, Italian Air Force) never flyied Mirages. So I think should be Indian... :D

Ciao.

Davide

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, Baldy said:

I may have missed something somewhere but why have these not reached UK shores yet?

Cheers

Malcolm

World wide pandemic? nothing shipping from China for months?