Swedish Storch ESCI 1/48

Avereda

welcome along and other unusual choice that most wouldn't think of.

Is this the 1/48th version, if so it's a nice model, I had one for a while but think it got lost in one of my moves.

Good luck with her, it should be a nice build and she'll look good in the gallery.

16 minutes ago, Col. said:

Unusual colours for a familiar subject and wearing a set of skis as well. Top stuff :D

We’ll see if the skis survive being prised from their blocks first

they look like they'll come off quite nicely, better than some of the stuff I've had to remove in the past.

Everyone is sort of use to seeing these in desert schemes, to see one with ski's is so nice to see.

A Storch! Cool.

IIRC some of them were used for photomapping in the mountains.  Those hade a special emblem, featuring a Sami hanging from a parachute holding a camera.

You can see that emblem in page 27 here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.sfhm.se/contentassets/84a6e4f1b2ce4e2b96c4ba578a41c503/svenska-flygvapnets-forband-och-skolor-under-1900-talet.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi4rp2G8onnAhUvlIsKHY8GCxIQFjAQegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw3n9GLq9E7MPdg9uhajPHf9&cshid=1579238677613

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Christer A, many thanks for that link - most interesting. With the help of Google Translate I have the following:

“The Navy* used Östergötland's weapon as a navy emblem on aircraft J28 and J29. The Division badge began to be used on S17BL where the 2nd Division in 1943 had a yellow bloodhound on its aircraft. In some versions, the dog had a camera around his neck. The 3rd Division used a black eagle that carried a white scroll with yellow ribbons in the claws and during the standby period, the 5th Division used a Red Indian scout in red and white. The S14 that the Navy* had stationed in the mountains in 1944 and 1945 carried the so-called "Lapp old man" - a camera equipped Sami hanging in a parachute. In 1950, the 3rd Division began using a yellow C around a yellow statue of Folke Filbyter and in 1951 probably made the 1st and 2nd divisions the same in red and blue respectively. During the J29 period, a special emblem for the Target Flight Division was introduced, which was accompanied by the division during F13M and F 16M until decommissioning 1/7 1997.”

*should this be flight wing or Air Force?

52 minutes ago, Christer A said:

I'll check in this once I sit in front of a computer  again. That Google translation sounds fishy :)

Cheers, I think I’ve got a rough idea of what is being said. Anyhow, the ball is now rolling.

Sprues, two in a mustardy colour, one nicely clear sprue, nothing too alarming.

49404459976_4f3728ced2_b.jpg

Somewhat aged instructions

49404660217_1668e5aca1_b.jpg

• Like 2

Cockpit assembled and glued to the starboard fuselage, some of the clear parts of the sprue and tidied. Good news for ski fans, these have parted nicely from the blocks.

49404660187_76e81335bd_b.jpg

49404660197_4134b0a023_b.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2020 at 5:30 PM, BIG X said:

Looking Good - 2-2 though against Palace - not so good - so I' think I'll watch this instead ;)

Better today though. On the modelling front, not much to report but I’ll report it anyway. Grey primer in the cockpit, some sanding and prep of parts elsewhere. Nice kit this but I will have some questions re colours and stuff for the better informed on here.

49445541972_34f6632b01_b.jpg

• Like 8

This looks like a really nice choice and apologies for taking this long to find your thread and add a comment or too. Looking great so far. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

A bit of touch up required and I need to fit the IP but the cockpit’s nearly there now. The framing for the canopy is going to be a bit of a caper, three of the parts are broken already.

49493320103_5bbf0504c8_b.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Retirement - you’d think there would be loads of time for modelling but this seems not be the case. What time I have found has been only slightly productive. Wings partly assembled (being a Storch the wings are v.important) with a few more protrusions to be added. Fuselage together and the nose being prepped.

We are off on a tour of mothers/mothers in law at the back end of next week so there will be an enforced absence from the bench - the next update may be a little delayed.

49557379663_2356592653_b.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

but at least your progress is nice and steady, she coming along nicely!

Are you going on the tour willingly or kicking and screaming? :D

Willingly to the mother in law, more begrudgingly to the mother

• Haha 3