Greg's pile of old Junkers!

GREG DESTEC

In my book Junkerrs Ju 87 over the Mediterranean there is a profile of a 6./StG 77 Stuka S2+AP which was in evolved in the Yugoslavia and Cretan campaigns.

It has the yellow nose and rudder. The front half of the spinner is yellow.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Well it was looking absolutely superb last time seen Greg. Excellent modelling.  Can't wait to see more!! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Cheers Stix 👍

More progress soon.....

• Like 1

Well folks another week on and there has been some progress to show. Camo is on the main airframe, and i have added the balkencruze to the underside before adding the airbrakes.

This stage has been time consuming as i like to be sure the acrylic paint has hardened enough to withstand the tape needed to apply the splinter camo.

49509610598_522c09e527_z.jpg

49510117886_cd8c04d5f6_z.jpg

49510348047_489a384c57_z.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers

Greg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Greg. That looks to be progressing rather splendidly!! I like the camo - it looks spot on!! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix 😃

This one should edge closer to the finish line by next weekend.

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 1

Hi Greg,

Excellent paint job!

I take it you are an acrylic man? The camo is splendid!

To play it safe I will use a mix of enamel and acrylic paints. We'll see.

What paint did you use for your RLM 65?

Cheers

JR

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Greg,

Excellent paint job!

I take it you are an acrylic man? The camo is splendid!

To play it safe I will use a mix of enamel and acrylic paints. We'll see.

What paint did you use for your RLM 65?

Cheers

JR

Hi Jean,

Yep I use Revell acrylics (mostly) and apply with the hairy stick. The RLM 65 is actually from one of my Lidl Christmas Airfix Bf 109 bargains, which was surprisingly nice to use. The starter kits "free" paint from Airfix in the past have been a bit naff but this one worked well.

Cheers Greg 👍

8 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Yep I use Revell acrylics (mostly) and apply with the hairy stick.

The paint finish looks particularly good. Fantastic work with that "hairy stick".

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Looking good Greg,don't you just love masking fo the splinter scheme? great when the tape comes of and you see it in all it's glory!

Yeah,

I know what you mean Steve 😯

The thing is to let the base coat to dry long enough to let the paint harden before putting tape on, then it's Bob's yet uncle! 

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

The paint finish looks particularly good. Fantastic work with that "hairy stick".

Cheers 🍺

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Scargsy said:

That is indeed some fine hairy-stick work, especially using Revell paint which I've tried in the past and found about as thin as tarmac, do you just thin with water and at what ratio?

Thanks 😀

I use humbrol thinners until the paint is the consistency of milk. Two to three coats usually does the job! 

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 2

Hi again!

Latest progress over the weekend has seen the engine joined with the fuselage and the wing flaps fitted. The flaps were tricky and i stuck mine on in two stages. First the length nearest the fuselage to the wing bend and then the last bit assisted by tape and pegs,

It looks like a Stuka now, and my next plan is to gloss up for the transfers. Still havent added the yellow to the rudder as im not sure whether to just over paint or rub down and repaint?!

Some pics.....

49549251476_a1008afa31_z.jpg

49549481792_f288ca603f_z.jpg

49549481742_979cc19681_z.jpg

49549251266_1858646ac9_z.jpg

Thats it for now, thanks for looking,

Cheers Greg

• Like 6

Comes along nicely Greg.

12 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Still havent added the yellow to the rudder as im not sure whether to just over paint or rub down and repaint?!

I would just over paint it as this is what happened with the original. But maybe first a cote of white paint as yellow doesn't cover very well.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Excellent progress Greg! It looks to be coming together beautifully!! Very nicely done! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix thanks for the supportive comments. Much appreciated mate 👍

All the best, Greg

• Like 1

Despite it being an unprototypical procedure I'd be inclined to rub it down a bit as yellow is pretty poor at covering other colours (as noted by @Basilisk above) and you may want to paint it white first. I think RLM Gelb had better coverage than model paint!

It's looking pretty good so far!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Greg,

superb Stuka! Congrats!!!

Did you ever drill the two holes for the dive brakes? You obviously like to live dangerously!

Cheers

JR

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Greg,

superb Stuka! Congrats!!!

Did you ever drill the two holes for the dive brakes? You obviously like to live dangerously!

Cheers

JR

Hi Jean,

Glad you liked it 👍

Yep I drilled the holes using a micro drill. Odd Airfix didn't prepare those.....

All the best Greg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Yep I drilled the holes using a micro drill. Odd Airfix didn't prepare those.....

Hi Greg,

if by "prepare", you mean pre-holes marked in the inside of the wing, then things are getting odder, as my kit had the holes for the airbrakes and bomb racks/underwing tanks nicely marked...

Go figure.

But a really great Stuka nonetheless.

Cheers

JR

• Thanks 1