Greg's pile of old Junkers!

GREG DESTEC

Happy New Year all!

Here is my entry to the GB, yet another Airfix Stuka, which is looking like a popular choice so far.

I am not overly enamored with the choice of transfers ootb so i will source some AM versions for my build. 

Will get started shortly, thanks for looking,

Cheers!

Greg

49384535102_90ea320d99_z.jpg

49384339726_b7aabce72a_z.jpg

• Like 16

Thanks, Happy New Year too.

Not really this old and indeed a popular choice. Many kit decals are of the most boring schemes, maybe so that aftermarket decal producers can sell their stuff.

Have an enjoyable build.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

Thanks, Happy New Year too.

Not really this old and indeed a popular choice. Many kit decals are of the most boring schemes, maybe so that aftermarket decal producers can sell their stuff.

Have an enjoyable build.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter!

I have made a start and will post some pic's later. The Airfix kit is nicely detailed, and has gone together nicely so far. 

I have ordered a decal sheet from Hannants  so once that arrived I can select a suitable subject. 

Cheers,

Greg 🍺

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

I vote for something that flew over Malta

I will need to check the sheet I've ordered to see if an appropriate version is available. Wouldn't that be an Italian Stuka, or did the Luftwaffe deploy Stukas too?

Greetings folks!

Here is my latest update, which shows decent progress on the fairly recent Airfix kit.

Up to stage 7 in the instructions it was all plain sailing....However there on in i had some problems.

The first being connecting the fuselage to the lower central wing section with the cockpit floor. Fit on these new Airfix tooling is very precise and most likely the fault is with me but it took some sanding and test fitting before i was able to connect the two assemblies. One of the photos below should show where i have had to fill gaps.

Adding the upper wing sections went well but again i had to get the filler out, ditto for the lower wing sections. 

Anyway, i have managed to assemble the main airframe now with the tailplanes and supporting struts, which i had to fiddle about with to avoid droop.

I am pausing the build now until the decal set arrives from Hannants as there will be some tactical painting required before i continue with the assembly.

All in all i am enjoying the build, and the kit does have some very nice detail internally and externally.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers, Greg.

49407954021_e4eb16217d_z.jpgIMG_3410

49407472713_baf90c5330_z.jpgIMG_3411

49407472798_d7fafd289a_z.jpgIMG_3409

49407953941_c94b520038_z.jpgIMG_3412

49407953911_fe393921bf_z.jpgIMG_3413

49407953861_9730297c64_z.jpgIMG_3414

49407953826_58e0023aff_z.jpgIMG_3415

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Greg. Hope you are well. Despite the odd issue it looks to be going together rather well. I think you are right about the precise fit of new tool Airfix kits. I remember having to be very careful with a couple of their 1/48 aircraft kits. I hope your decals arrive soon.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Greg. Hope you are well. Despite the odd issue it looks to be going together rather well. I think you are right about the precise fit of new tool Airfix kits. I remember having to be very careful with a couple of their 1/48 aircraft kits. I hope your decals arrive soon.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Hi Stix,

Thank you for your kind comments. I have made more progress with the Stuka but have been lax posting pictures. 

The decal sheet arrived and I am doing a yellow nosed Battle of Britain era machine. 

Will try and get photos for the weekend.

Cheers Greg 😁

• Like 1

Coming along nicely Greg :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

The decal sheet arrived and I am doing a yellow nosed Battle of Britain era machine.

I have to disappoint you, but as as far as I know there had been no yellow nosed Stuka's during the Battle of Britain.

More like a Stuka used during the Balkan campaign I would think.

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2020 at 10:11 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi Greg,

tastes and colors....

I like the BoB decal option in the Airfix kit but I am using the Xtradecal BoB sheet as I do not agree with the yellow unit shield.

Xtradecal supply it in blue, and although possibly incorrect, it is nonetheless more likely than yellow... And Xtradecal make better transfers than Airfix!

I would not even try and order from Hannants, as it would take over a month to arrive... if it ever arrives!

I hope you realize how lucky you are!

Have a lot of fun!

JR

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Greg,

tastes and colors....

I like the BoB decal option in the Airfix kit but I am using the Xtradecal BoB sheet as I do not agree with the yellow unit shield.

Xtradecal supply it in blue, and although possibly incorrect, it is nonetheless more likely than yellow... And Xtradecal make better transfers than Airfix!

I would not even try and order from Hannants, as it would take over a month to arrive... if it ever arrives!

I hope you realize how lucky you are!

Have a lot of fun!

JR

Hi Jean,

Stuff ordered from Hannants usually arrives in my neck of the woods within a week, so I guess I am lucky in that respect 😄

I got the Xtradecal sheet for the Ju 87B 1 and was attracted to the yellow cowling version because it had the wheel spat sirens included. I found a photo on the net of the actual aircraft so thought it was all kosher. If course the photo didn't prove it was a machine based in France for a BoB option so I am left guessing if it's right or not 😕

Yellow paint has been applied now so there's no turning back 😆

I will get some pics posted over the weekend.

Cheers Greg

• Like 2

Coming along nicely Greg. Even though the Bf 109Es had yellow noses during the Battle of Britain doesn't mean that yellow nosed Stukas are from the Battle of Britain too.

This looks to me another Xtradecal boo boo. But the only thing needed to have a correct replica is to also paint the rudder yellow.

spacer.png

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the kind comments. Like you I have seen many photos of yellow nosed Stukas from Greece, and Yugoslavia theatres but not BoB where the Stukas only appear to have the front half of the spinner painted with a unit colour. Annoyingly the photo I have seen of the actual aircraft cuts off the tail. 

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Coming along nicely. I suspect it is one of the Balkans Stuka's. 

Now you will have to do a BOB one in 1/48.🙂 Yes you can you know you can. 

Thanks Greg 😁

As it happens I have been looking at the 1/48 Airfix kits.....

8 hours ago, Smudge said:

Interesting comments about the B of B Stukas and the yellow markings. Such a shame that the B of B Stukas are a bit on the dull side where the markings are concerned.

I agree! That's why I was pleased to see the yellow nosed option on the decal sheet. I do kind of cling to the though that one individual machine had these colours in the BoB but accept that it's more likely to be the case that  there's been a mistake in Xtradecals research 😞

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

.....................there's been a mistake in Xtradecals research 😞

I sometimes wonder about this sort of thing. They must have got that info from somewhere. The instruction sheet sounds very convincing.

I could convince myself they are right :D 

On 2/5/2020 at 8:16 AM, Smudge said:

I sometimes wonder about this sort of thing. They must have got that info from somewhere. The instruction sheet sounds very convincing.

Sure they have. The caption for the picture below for S2+EP states "Junkers Ju 87B1 Stuka 6.StG77 (S2+EP) Battle of Britain France 1940-01" :whistle:

spacer.png

But it is a freshly painted Balkan campaign marking. And the yellow spinner is normally in the "Staffel" colours which is yellow in this case, so again has nothing to do with BoB.

Unfortunately there are tones of wrong captions published in books and on the web.

My experience with Xtradecals is whenever I wanted to use them I discovered issues when comparing them to pictures - wrong font, wrong size, wrong colours and the list goes on.

They are a bit like kits which look great in the box, but show lots of issue on a second look.
Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Smudge said:

48 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

My experience with Xtradecals is whenever I wanted to use them I discovered issues when comparing them to pictures - wrong font, wrong size, wrong colours and the list goes on.

In 2014, in the run up to the 75th BoB anniversary, an Xtradecal designer posted up information requests, and then a thread (now gone) with the artwork and decals.  I had to draw lines on a photo to show where a detail was wrong.  Another contributor said the same thing in an email, that you had to hammer the points home repeatedly.

Getting it right takes time, and a certain obsessive nature, and a good eye for detail. Fundekals do good work,and point out these kind of details.

Some of their sheets are really annoying. 

see here for an example

maybe my sig line should also read never trust a decal sheet without a photo, ....

• Like 3