F-104G Starfighter Luftwaffe 1987 - Kinetic 1/48

Andy350

9 minutes ago, reini said:

Thanks for the info!

Italians did not like the catamaran launcher either - apparently made the missile seeker heads too vulnerable to ground debris on take offs.

But still interesting to go with the wingtip missiles - I guess the wing mounts were not wired for AA missiles? I think this was the case for Italiang G's atleast (for the interceptor variant). Wingtip sidewinders denied the use of supersonic tanks - which the wingtip tanks were, wing tanks being subsonic AFAIK.

- - - - - 

You're onto a good start @Andy350 ! Those belts look pretty complicated, I did not use them as I used a pilot figure instead.

I wish I had opted for the pilot now.  Never mind, live and learn.  I'm trying to find out if a nose weight is required as Bosse had fitted one.  

Edited by Andy350

17 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

I wish I had opted for the pilot now.  Never mind, live and learn.  I'm trying to find out if a nose weight is required as Bosse had fitted one.  

Good question. I have put nose weight in all my Starfighters - altough I'm pretty sure it doesn't need it. I'd put a little just to be sure anyways :D 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, reini said:

But still interesting to go with the wingtip missiles - I guess the wing mounts were not wired for AA missiles?

I think only US built F-104G/TF-104G's were wired for underwing Sidewinders. We Dutch used the fuselage catamarans without much drama on our 322 / 323 Squadron interceptors, as did the German Marineflieger units.

Just don't fit them to anything other than a Luftwaffe JG71 or 74 bird, as the JaBo attack / strike units never used them.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

Body and fuel tank primed.  I didn't mask the exhaust as I wasn't too happy with the final colour, need something better than silver, might finish it off with the same internal engine colour, steel.

49395133097_e147f76d7a_b.jpg

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, phildagreek said:

Looks good, one of those designs that looks like it's going fast even when stood still.

I agree, such an iconic look, one of my favs as a kid.  One of the reasons why I wanted it with flaps up and air brake closed, plus it easier for me.  

I filled the nose cone with led shot, I then proceeded to put some contacta cement in, the nose cone feels very soft at the moment, thinking it might be hanging off in the morning!  That crease was because I knocked the nose tip.

49395610606_2574b61373_b.jpg

18 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

I filled the nose cone with led shot, I then proceeded to put some contacta cement in, the nose cone feels very soft at the moment, thinking it might be hanging off in the morning!  That crease was because I knocked the nose tip.

Ouch, did you put in plastic glue by any chance? Revell Contacta? It literally melts plastic together - better to use super glue or PVA glue for non-plastic stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, reini said:

Ouch, did you put in plastic glue by any chance? Revell Contacta? It literally melts plastic together - better to use super glue or PVA glue for non-plastic stuff.

Yep, not sure what to do now?  If it doesn't melt off I can use filler to maintain shape tomorrow.  What a newbie thing to do.  It's not as if I can get another nose for this.

1 minute ago, Andy350 said:

Yep, not sure what to do now?  If it doesn't melt off I can use filler to maintain shape tomorrow.  What a newbie thing to do.  It's not as if I can get another nose for this.

Not much else to do than wait - depending on how much did you put in, might take a while. I'm sure it is recoverable with some filler - once it starts to harden again.

• Thanks 1

I've got my work cutout with this, I think it's stopped melting now.  I will see how it goes with the Humbrol model filler.

49396835757_32e2dd72ee_b.jpg

49396173388_caa6757a4b_b.jpg

In panic mode I managed to lose part of the front undercarriage.  Not sure if the nose weight was required now, we'll see how the front takes the weight.

49396631956_1a5b3887fa_b.jpg

Edited by Andy350

On 1/16/2020 at 1:34 AM, Andy350 said:

Can anyone please help with the colour scheme?  Kinetic chose to make the build sheet in black and while and I need some more detail with the paint, all I can make out is grey and black.

49389367133_5e7fafc05d_b.jpg

You can download colour instructions for most of their recent kits from  the Kinetic website.

http://uk.luckymodel.com/km/e03-165-48083.pdf

Edited by Mick Drover
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Thanks Mick, very useful.

Well, this is still very soft, feels like damp paper mache.  

49397868376_d986f07f9a_c.jpg

Hi,

I'm afraid that's entirely normal.

The glue fumes are quite a potent solvent and are attacking the plastic from the inside.

It's going to stay that way quite a bit.

Don't ask me how I know that...

spacer.png

Cheers,

S.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sebastien said:

Hi,

I'm afraid that's entirely normal.

The glue fumes are quite a potent solvent and are attacking the plastic from the inside.

It's going to stay that way quite a bit.

Don't ask me how I know that...

spacer.png

Cheers,

S.

Hi, were you able to fix yours with filler?

4 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Hi, were you able to fix yours with filler?

Nope, but you'll admit it was a bit beyond salvation...

I asked Revell for a new nose.

The problem is the fumes have nowhere to go but through the plastic.

I'd ask Kinetic for one, but you might drill a hole in the nose to let the fumes vent, wait quite a bit, and then putty it back to shape (Milliput might work better than usual putty).

If you don't, it will stay soft for a long time (and you light see new holes appear in the weeks to come).

S., really sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sebastien said:

Nope, but you'll admit it was a bit beyond salvation...

I asked Revell for a new nose.

The problem is the fumes have nowhere to go but through the plastic.

I'd ask Kinetic for one, but you might drill a hole in the nose to let the fumes vent, wait quite a bit, and then putty it back to shape (Milliput might work better than usual putty).

If you don't, it will stay soft for a long time (and you light see new holes appear in the weeks to come).

S., really sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Drilled some holes, and the glue was very soft indeed, the nose cone wasn't even stuck really, came off really easily.  I've got a contact address for Kinetic, so I have emailed.  May as well carry on now and wait and see if I can either repair or get a new one.  Thanks for the advice.

Too bad for the nose - but I hope Kinetic will be able to provide with you a new one. Speaking of which, I should get new canopy for my Italeri Starfighter. Accidents happen :P 

Norm 83 is a great scheme, looking forwards to seeing it come alive.

• Thanks 1

Has Kinetic mixed up the paint 001 and 208.  My 206 looks like olive green.

49398100158_e5af789cc7_o.jpg

I initially put down 001, which is olive green, but when I start with what should be the darker colour that came out what olive green should be.

49398819732_be34902fd7_c.jpg

Edited by Andy350