Plastic 18th century Cutter kits ?

Arjan

I wonder if there are any plastic kits available of late 18th, early 19th century cutters ? There are some wooden boat kits available of this ship type but I would prefer a plastic kit. A distant relative was a privateer captain on a Dutch cutter during the fourth Anglo-Dutch war (1780-1784). He operated from Flushing and died off Hull due to a shot of shrapnel in the stomach.

Arjan

50 minutes ago, Arjan said:

I wonder if there are any plastic kits available of late 18th, early 19th century cutters ? There are some wooden boat kits available of this ship type but I would prefer a plastic kit.

I think your best chance is Heller, which has had the largest range of “classic ships” of any major manufacturer over the years. Revell.de has the new stock these days (search their online shop for Heller”), and then there’s eBay. Heller made them in all sorts of scales, depending on the size of the original. If there’s no specific cutter of the size and rig you want, you may still find something you can modify. You need to do a general search for Heller ships, though, because the kits are all of named ships, rather than generic types... so rather than “64 gun ship of the line” you have to know theirs are called Glorieux or Superbe...

HTH,

edit: for example “Le Corsair”

corsair.jpg

best,

M.

• Like 2

Thanks for your response ! Heller have a 1/125 scale Tuna fishing boat  "Thonier Armor" which does have the right shape but unfortunately it's far too small. 

0hod2fY.jpg

This is what the vessel looked like :

R00yvOu.jpg

ASwc0rZ.png

I think this image gives a reasonable idea of what she must have looked like :

QataY3f.png

The wooden Artesania Latina kit Privateer Cutter Le Renard is probably my best option :

ntN4keO.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 1

Thanks Francis, the shape of the independence schooner is not too far off but I prefer a slightly bigger scale. I'm quite sure by now that I will go for the Artesania Latina Le Renard kit.

Regards,

Arjan

Thanks Kev, there are quite a few wooden kits of these Cutters around but I like the Le Renard model best. It's in 1/50 scale, I like the yellow finish, there's a replica I could use for reference and finally the privateer captain in question was also of French origin (he came from France and had settled in Terneuzen). He was the brother of my grandmother's great great grandfather, so a very distant relative indeed . Captain Jarry had captured a record number of 30 enemy vessels so I assume the British admiralty didn't like him 😉. The canon shot that killed him (only after two days of sheer agony) was also fired from a British cutter. I have a bust of the man and this portrait :

Gz3fRiQ.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

• 1 month later...

The Pyro/Lindberg “War of Independence” schooner is a model of an 1830s Morris-class US Revenue Cutter.  It later served in the Republic of Texas Navy during the Texan War of Independence against Mexico- hence the label.

Edited by RC Boater Bill