Jump to content

Suggestion for new undercarriage sets


Admiral Puff
 Share

Recommended Posts

It would be very useful if you could see your way clear to do new undercarriage components in brass for the Roden 1:32 Cessna L-19 Bird Dog and the Matchbox/Revell 1:72 Twin Otter. In both cases the kit components are not really up to carrying the weight of the model - particularly the Twotter, which needs a fair bit of ballast to stop it being a tail sitter. The set for the Cessna 337 is excellent, giving some beef to otherwise quite weak kit parts, and I'm sure that these two would be well received.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a Twotter years ago and of course after a hard landing on the shelf, the wheels broke, never had nose weight in it. Have a coupe more now and have to figure out the same thing. I'm thinking, use brass rod the same size or shimmed to the molded wheel hole in place of the plastic. May be able to bend the rod up into the leg as well. I know it's small but might work. Brass is your friend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

MLG struts for the 1/48 ICM MiG-25 Foxbats

(preferably with pins to help fix the wheels, replacing the cone protrusions on the kit parts)

 

Replacement tail wheel (with a bit of extra strut length) to replace the flimsy moulded-onto-the-fuselage tail wheel of the 1/32 Hasegawa Ki-43 Oscar.

(In fact, a set of generic tail wheels & struts would be good.)

 

I would also buy a MLG bow and tailwheel set for the Roden 1/32 O-1/L-19 Bird Dog.

 

Great stuff. I have got the Aerocraft Eurofighter and I-16 gear and it's superb — essential, really.

 

Cheers

 

Tony

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 2:27 PM, tony.t said:

MLG struts for the 1/48 ICM MiG-25 Foxbats

(preferably with pins to help fix the wheels, replacing the cone protrusions on the kit parts)

Hopefully with the correct 'sit', as it looks like ICM used a very light museum piece for their research.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something to replace the Kitty Hawk Jaguar legs - not looking forward to doing that☹️
 

Also a replacement for the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire I/V weird thing setup.

 

Trevor

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shall be looking at all these suggestions, some mentioned slightly further up the thread are work in progress and off to the casters as soon as I can, not sure about the Jaguar, but we shall see.

8 hours ago, KoenL said:

Hopefully with the correct 'sit', as it looks like ICM used a very light museum piece for their research.

KoenL, do you have any good photographs for me to work from, always helps if somebody else has a take on an issue. I have found a similar issue on another set I am working on in 1/32 scale the extended oleo looks just too long for and aircraft that is on the ground, so I will have to make a good estimate / judgement how much to cut it down by.

 

cheers Ali

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/4/2020 at 6:37 AM, Ali62 said:

Thank you so much for these pictures and this link, really appreciate it

What a courteous person you are Ali.

 

I would also like something for the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire I/V, the ICM MiG-25 is also in need of your brass loveliness. 

 

May I suggest nose wheel sets for aircraft that need a lot of weight to avoid tail sitting. P-61 and P-38 to name just two. It'll help the weight and save a lot of worry if a table gets nudged at a show. The 1/48 Reaper is about to be re-released and that could use a full set too, mine is certainly sagging.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, SleeperService said:

What a courteous person you are Ali.

 

I would also like something for the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire I/V, the ICM MiG-25 is also in need of your brass loveliness. 

 

May I suggest nose wheel sets for aircraft that need a lot of weight to avoid tail sitting. P-61 and P-38 to name just two. It'll help the weight and save a lot of worry if a table gets nudged at a show. The 1/48 Reaper is about to be re-released and that could use a full set too, mine is certainly sagging.

Thanks for that and further ideas. I will take a look at the new Airfix Spitfires, I presume those are the ones you mean in 1/48.

i have done the P-38 for the Tamiya new kit, let me know manufacturers and scale for other options. Which kit is the Reaper, and would any kind dole like to send me the kit parts to work from and develop, as I have no interest personally in the kit / aircraft.

 

I am always open to ideas on these, and if you do have any requests please supply as much information as possible, that way it helps me tremendously. Especially any short comings that you are aware of, i.e. to long too short etc.

Also if needed any one helping out with donor parts if required gets a free set of new brass parts. I have lots of kits and I am prepared to buy others but some are out of my interest zone, or expensive etc, but in most or lots of cases if I have information, parts, kit instructions I will try and develop a set to meet your needs, well mostly, I still need to consider all suggestions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ali62 said:

Thanks for that and further ideas. I will take a look at the new Airfix Spitfires, I presume those are the ones you mean in 1/48.

i have done the P-38 for the Tamiya new kit, let me know manufacturers and scale for other options. Which kit is the Reaper, and would any kind dole like to send me the kit parts to work from and develop, as I have no interest personally in the kit / aircraft.

Sorry Ali yes the new Airfix Spitfires.

 

The Reaper is Skunkworks originally SEE HERE then reboxed by Revell as HERE about to be rereleased by Kinetic HERE Fantastic Walkround on BM HERE

 

My beast is awaiting repair after the Great Shelf Collapse of '17 but during that time the main legs had spread so she had a tail down look. The front leg is very basic and really detracts from the rest of it. I'll get hold of a kit and get it sent direct to you if you'll PM me your address details. It may be a few days as Dad has had an 'incident' and I'm on standby to go and keep an eye on him. Nothing too serious but he is rather old so better safe than sorry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 2:08 AM, Admiral Puff said:

It would be very useful if you could see your way clear to do new undercarriage components in brass for the Roden 1:32 Cessna L-19 Bird Dog and the Matchbox/Revell 1:72 Twin Otter. In both cases the kit components are not really up to carrying the weight of the model - particularly the Twotter, which needs a fair bit of ballast to stop it being a tail sitter. The set for the Cessna 337 is excellent, giving some beef to otherwise quite weak kit parts, and I'm sure that these two would be well received.

Well Sir......both of your requests have now been fulfilled at the same time......I do try to please where I can😄

 

see these few links to products

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/cessna-l-19-o-1-bird-dog

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/dhc-6-twin-otter

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/dhc-6-twin-otter-alternative-wheels

 

Any requests and suggestions are always welcome, obviously some will get done and others not or may take longer. Due to the current shut down situation I will not be able to deliver new brass sets as quickly as I would like to but I am working on a few for the future, as well as working on resin and clear resin projects.

 

Other suggestions made above are being studied and accessed, watch this space.

 

cheers Ali

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Ali,

 

My the undercarriage assemblies of my Revell C-17 Globemaster (1:44 scale) are broken they are too complex for me to scratchbuild replacements.  Do you have any plans to make these in brass/white metal?

 

cheers,


Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Mike

 

Not at this stage, this is my first venture in 1/72 scale so I will see how sales develop, but at this point in time I doubt that I will move into 1/144 scale, but you just never know.

 

Ali

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

May have been done already, just thinking of the B-17 landing gear, they always want to spread out sideways over time. I even had the main gear on 1/48 F-4s sag where the landing gear curves just above the wheels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Well Sir......both of your requests have now been fulfilled at the same time......I do try to please where I can😄

 

see these few links to products

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/cessna-l-19-o-1-bird-dog

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/dhc-6-twin-otter

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/dhc-6-twin-otter-alternative-wheels

 

Any requests and suggestions are always welcome, obviously some will get done and others not or may take longer. Due to the current shut down situation I will not be able to deliver new brass sets as quickly as I would like to but I am working on a few for the future, as well as working on resin and clear resin projects.

 

Other suggestions made above are being studied and accessed, watch this space.

 

cheers Ali

Thanks, Ali - let me count the number of Twotter sets I need, and I'll get an order off!

 

Will be in touch in the next couple of days with another suggestion, which may or may not be viable. Won't do it on the site, as it may get a bit messy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Thanks, Ali - let me count the number of Twotter sets I need, and I'll get an order off!

 

Will be in touch in the next couple of days with another suggestion, which may or may not be viable. Won't do it on the site, as it may get a bit messy.

Sounds good to me, I am looking forward to hearing the suggestion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Ali,

 

If you're considering requests for new products, I'd like to put forward a request for the Trumpeter 1/32 MiG-23ML with the stance corrected please?

 

I was considering correcting my plastic parts when I get round to it but unsure they'd take the weight of the model.

 

Regards,

 

Mark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

I think I might have contacted directly about this one, Ali. 1/32nd scale B-25 legs? It's WAY too heavy a kit to stand around on the supplied, long, plastic pins. And you have to load up the nose, to prevent it from tail-sitting.  

 

Cheers.

 

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/29/2021 at 2:44 AM, spruecutter96 said:

I think I might have contacted directly about this one, Ali. 1/32nd scale B-25 legs? It's WAY too heavy a kit to stand around on the supplied, long, plastic pins. And you have to load up the nose, to prevent it from tail-sitting.  

 

Cheers.

 

Chris.  

Hi Chris, all being well you may not have to wait too long, watch this space in the next week or two😃, I just hope all works out the way I have planned

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Is there any chance that you’d consider doing a set of legs for the Airfix 1/48th Sabre please?  Airfix have moulded them with “gags” on the oleo sections which might be appropriate for a jet n a museum or undergoing aintenance but less so for one on the line.

 

Further to Spruecutter96’s post above the Airfix 1/72th Mitchell could also do with more robust legs for very much the same reason as the 1/32th kit.

 

Thank you.

Edited by stever219
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

That's great news, Ali. I've been keeping an eye out for the G-Factor pins for a very long time, with no luck. I hope things go as you are intending. 

 

Cheers.

 

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, stever219 said:

Is there any chance that you’d consider doing a set of legs for the Airfix 1/48th Sabre please?  Airfix have moulded them with “gags” on the oleo sections which might be appropriate for a jet n a museum or undergoing aintenance but less so for one on the line.

 

Further to Spruecutter96’s post above the Airfix 1/72th Mitchell could also do with more robust legs for very much the same reason as the 1/32th kit.

 

Thank you.

Hi, I do not have a Sabre as yet, will probably get one soonish, could you send me a photograph or two of the kit parts, and the area that you want removed, if I understand you correctly.

I do have the Mitchell, so I will have another look at those.

However I am a little more cautious developing 1/72 sets in particular and even 1/48 scale as the way my production costs work it makes it tricky sometimes to make sets that I market at competitive prices and at the same time make it worth my while.

However I will look at most suggestions put forward, and access viability, and then take the gamble......

please email any information to me at aerocraftmodels@gmail.com

 

cheers Ali

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...