‘Taivaan Helmi’ (Brewster Buffalo) 1/32 Special Hobby

Doccur

Good evening and greetings to my fellow Nordic GB participants. This post will be a placeholder until I finish off my Hunter in the KUTA GB and maybe a quick 1/72 Mustang too 🤪

Onto the kit and myself! This will be my first foray into 1/32 scale and also my first into any Scandinavian subject, which fills me with double the excitement! I’ve always liked the odd looking Buffalo, but reading the stories of the miracles that the brave Finnish pilots achieved in these machines has given me a new found awe regarding them. This is the Special Hobby Limited run, multimedia kit. It is mostly plastic (as you’d expect) with some added details in Photoetch and Resin. This should be a great challenge for me! So any advice or wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I intend on doing the scheme pictured below. (There is something quite amusing and relatable about Eino Luukkanen recording his kills on the tail In the form of beer bottles 😂).

49381826187_66b3f2bc12_b.jpg 49381826192_13959e87a3_b.jpg 49381826087_da23e8e33c_b.jpg 49381826157_f6a394a8fc_b.jpg

Cheers!

Ash

Edited by Doccur
  • Like 19

Great choice Ash

I know there was a lot of rationing during the war but the designers of this aircraft really took it to the extreme !

They must have been great for storage on Carriers however.

Never seen this kit built before so good luck and look forward to following the build.

Cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

That just looks superb Ash. I too have limited knowledge about Nordic subjects however I'm sure we'll both acquire a good wealth of new information as this GB happily progresses. 

She looks to be a decent size, so best of luck getting this one done. 

Cheers and regards.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

welcome aboard Ash, and what a fine choice as well and nice to see a big scale model in the build as well.

I don't know the model at all but generally Special Hobby models aren't too bad and always have some nice resin bits to go with them.

Good luck with the build, hopefully it'll be a nice introduction the the larger scale, look forward to seeing it in the gallery.

• Thanks 1

Wow! A big scale Brewster! I've been fascinated by them since I played Il-2 Forgotten Battles on PC some 18 years ago. Ahh, those were the days when one had hair and all the time in the world...

This will be one to watch, I'm sure!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I know there was a lot of rationing during the war but the designers of this aircraft really took it to the extreme !

Hi Pat, It is basically a flying barrel! 😂

3 hours ago, Christer A said:

Wow! A big scale Brewster! I've been fascinated by them since I played Il-2 Forgotten Battles on PC some 18 years ago. Ahh, those were the days when one had hair and all the time in the world

Well I’ve still got more hair than free time... for now!

Thanks for all your well wishes. I am just diving into the world of airbrushing, so this should be a good slab-sided aircraft to cut my teeth on with it! 

Cheers.

Ash

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Should be fun Ash.

The only plane I have ever made in that sort of scheme was the old Revell 1/72 P-36 back in the 1960's - story was that a batch of French planes were found still in their crates and the Germans sold/passed them on to Finland. After a few years with no other planes to go with it, I repainted it as French.

Always liked the Buffalo - I have 3 of them at the moment I think. It gets bad reviews but the Finns seemed to make it work.

Looking forward to seeing this built - best of luck.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

It gets bad reviews but the Finns seemed to make it work.

'Made it work' - that's one way of saying that it was a plane that most likely has the best kill/death ratio of all fighters in WW2 :P 

• Haha 5

On 1/14/2020 at 5:00 PM, reini said:

'Made it work' - that's one way of saying that it was a plane that most likely has the best kill/death ratio of all fighters in WW2 :P 

The more I learn of this machine in Finnish service the more I'm warming to it as a subject so it's nice to see one here :) 

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

On 14/01/2020 at 13:35, PeterB said:

The only plane I have ever made in that sort of scheme was the old Revell 1/72 P-36 back in the 1960's - story was that a batch of French planes were found still in their crates and the Germans sold/passed them on to Finland.

And for some reason I get the slight memory of reading that they sold them to the Finns at much more than the French ever paid for them! A good bit of business by them!

On 14/01/2020 at 13:35, PeterB said:

Looking forward to seeing this built - best of luck.

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Looking forward to this in 32!

Thanks all! Hopefully I can do this ‘Pearl of the Sky’ justice 😋

Ash

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick one for anybody who is knowledgeable in this area. The underside colour I’ve seen quoted as either the Aluminium lacquer these were delivered in, or an RLM 65 colour. Any idea which would be correct for the aircraft I’m building please? 

Cheers

Ash

7 hours ago, Doccur said:

Quick one for anybody who is knowledgeable in this area. The underside colour I’ve seen quoted as either the Aluminium lacquer these were delivered in, or an RLM 65 colour. Any idea which would be correct for the aircraft I’m building please? 

Cheers

Ash

They were originally either left aluminium or painted light grey (not RLM65). I think starting from -42 came directions to change the bottom color to light blue (~RLM65) - but did not happen over night (only during major overhauls and such) so in -42 it was probably a mix of all different undersurface colors.

If I would be doing the model, I would be using the light grey - but that is just my conclusion, I don't have any solid reference on that particular plane. I don't have a FS number at the moment for the Light Grey but Special Hobby color suggestion is probably a good starting point. I don't do much WW2 models but I can dig a little deeper on the colors if need be, just let me know. 

EDIT: FS number for the Light Grey 36440 - so that would be 'Light Gull Grey' in many color ranges.

Edited by reini
  • Like 1

Thanks @reini! Just so happens I have light full grey in my paint stocks, so that suits me just fine! 

Im going for a ‘scale black’ and Vallejo Dark Slate grey for the uppers which I’ve read is a good match. 

Cheers

Ash

• Like 1

Hi Ash,

If you were following my Draken build you will see I used up some left over Xtracrylic Dark Slate Grey as primer, and did seriously consider using it as the green in the camo as it looked quite close, but the Draken used a more olive version. You certainly might get away with it on the Buffalo though.

Pete

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Doccur said:

Vallejo Dark Slate grey for the uppers which I’ve read is a good match.

In  thread, it was stated that Dark Slate Grey in the RAF museum book is a good match for Finnish Olive Green,  but I don't know how good a match the Vallejo is to that.

I have found Vallejo Model Colour matches to the RAF chip, but I'd have to dig them out,  and no time now.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PeterB said:

You certainly might get away with it on the Buffalo though.

Pete

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

In  thread, it was stated that Dark Slate Grey in the RAF museum book is a good match for Finnish Olive Green,  but I don't know how good a match the Vallejo is to that.

I have found Vallejo Model Colour matches to the RAF chip, but I'd have to dig them out,  and no time now.

Thanks both! As the camo would be a little bit tired and faded on the aircraft I’m modelling, I think as long as the base colour (dark slate grey in this instance) is fairly accurate it shouldn’t be a problem! 

Cheers,

Ash

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally ready to make a start on this later today.. first comes shopping and a trip to the tip 🤦🏻‍♂️

Did the obligatory soapy water wash for the parts and left them out to dry on an old towel:

49569003502_65fab4c564_b.jpg

Cheers 

Ash

• Like 7

Hi all! 

Made a start assembling the cockpit and interior. More parts here alone, than some of the kits I’ve made recently! Sprayed the whole interior aluminium and I am yet to pick out any details. 

49575056776_a485807d51_b.jpg

After test fitting the fuselage halves I just know it’s going to be a pain to get them to fit together 🤦🏻‍♂️

Ash

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

slowly but surely plugging away with the Buffalo. Got most of the cockpit fitted, details picked out in various colours and a black/brown wash applied to liven things up. Think I may have went a little overboard but I like it. I had to cut the machine gun barrels off as I forgot to fit these before assembling the forward bulkhead 🤦🏻‍♂️ Next up is the battle to close the fuselage halves with everything lined up correctly! The fit is... agricultural shall we say 😂

49617504178_5d0362d0c5_b.jpg 49618282742_efc11feef1_b.jpg 49617505953_20bab80cae_b.jpg

Cheers

Ash

• Like 8