Tamiya 1/48 Mosquito PR.IX

Mozzy19

I’ve slowly been collecting the various parts required to do this build since I finished my last Mosquito. Most of today was spent fitting one of the Pangolin 2 stage Merlin conversions to one of the wings which do fit very nicely. Most of the gaps were of my own creation because I used a knife to cut the kit parts instead of a saw, which in hindsight was mistake. A little bit of time was spent fixing one of the Achilles heals of Tamiya Mosquito’s which is the front and rear bulkheads of the wheel wells. One side was treated to a thin plastic card panel, the other was dealt with using some masking tape. The cockpit has also been treated to some Quickboost seats.

20200113_211617

20200113_194908

20200113_212044

It will be finished in the markings of LR422.

20200113_212111

Sean :pilot:

• Like 13

Hurrah! Looking forward to this for obvious reasons! Popcorn time. 🍿

You're probably already aware Sean, but there's a PR.IX walkaround at LSP that has some useful detail shots.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=148

cheers,

Jason

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JasonC said:

Hurrah! Looking forward to this for obvious reasons! Popcorn time. 🍿

You're probably already aware Sean, but there's a PR.IX walkaround at LSP that has some useful detail shots.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=148

cheers,

Jason

Thanks Jason. I found that walk around earlier this morning, it’s very useful for the positions of the rear camera windows.

Sean

• Like 1

Both engine nacelles have been fitted and blended in. As expected, the second one was much easier to fit. I should have paid attention to the instructions, they do suggest using a micro saw I just got lazy :D

I made a few additions to the cockpit as well before that got primed and given a coat of interior grey/green.

20200114_210348

20200114_185308

20200114_140553

20200114_135823

Sean

• Like 11

More wing work this evening. I decided I was going to drop the flaps as Mosquitos are quite often seen with them drooped when parked. What I didn’t account for was that it is a time consuming, fiddly and laborious job to separate everything and then box it all in. But I suppose compared to the epic scratch builds on here I know nothing :D

20200115_202728

20200115_202703

The cockpit also got some paint on.

2020-01-15_08-56-58

Sean

• Like 4

Hi Sean,

Really enjoying your build. You've picked a variant I have a soft spot for and one people don't build very often.

LR422  is of particular interest, as my dad flew as navigator in it on two occasions:

19/6/44 - 07:00 -  Sylt - Rostock - Swinemunde - Berlin - Borkum - 5 hours 15 mins

10/8/44 - 11:55 - Railway Recce. Tours - Poitier - Anguoulette - Bordeaux - Santes - 3 Hours 50 mins

The second flight was two days after his 21st Birthday.

Thanks again for sharing and keep up the good work.

Regards

Nick

• Like 7

Thanks for the encouragement guys. 👍

23 hours ago, NickD said:

Hi Sean,

Really enjoying your build. You've picked a variant I have a soft spot for and one people don't build very often.

LR422  is of particular interest, as my dad flew as navigator in it on two occasions:

19/6/44 - 07:00 -  Sylt - Rostock - Swinemunde - Berlin - Borkum - 5 hours 15 mins

10/8/44 - 11:55 - Railway Recce. Tours - Poitier - Anguoulette - Bordeaux - Santes - 3 Hours 50 mins

The second flight was two days after his 21st Birthday.

Thanks again for sharing and keep up the good work.

Regards

Nick

I always find snippets like yours there interesting because it adds a human side to the machines that are being represented.

I’ve got a bit further along with the Mosquito over the last few days. The extra camera windows have been added, then the fuselage was closed up and then wings and horizontal stabilisers were glued on.

20200118_213724

20200118_213816

Sean

• Like 3

Hi Sean,

Glad it was of interest.

My dad always felt flying in a Mozzie was much better proposition than Beaufighters or bombers, and as a result, I think, felt a bit of a fraud.

Growing up I frequently found myself reflecting on what it must have been like, as a 21 year old, to climb on board and set off  in to the blue of a German sky on very long sorties, Many crews were lost, not as many as on other squadrons, but still high enough to surely have an impact on those that were left. Those of us that have not had to serve always felt, I think, that he undersold his contribution. Some of his modest stories were quite hair-raising - both engines stopped on Christmas Day 44 as they flew over a German city; he took photos over Berlin at 2000' silhouetted against unbroken cloud.

I, probably like many here, feel that each build is a tribute to those who risk their lives to serve their countries, regardless of the reasons why  they served or the difficulties they encountered. Watching this thread I can't help but think of my dad sitting in that seat, using that equipment, or depending on those engines. It's more than just lumps of plastic.

Sorry to get heavy

Regards,

Nick

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The first coat of PRU blue was applied today. I’ll let that dry properly and give it a quick run over with some micro mesh before the second coat.

20200121_204139

20200121_204157

While browsing this afternoon I found a couple of interesting things on the interweb. This site (in Czech) has a few photo’s of LR 422: http://molet.blog.cz/1310/70-let-od-prvniho-denniho-bojoveho-letu-nad-protektoratem

And then this photo, which was taken from LR 422: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205211443

Sean

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, NickD said:

Hi Sean,

Did you translate the article (Google translate is fantastic these days)? It sounds like an eventful trip.

Nick

I have now that I'm on my laptop. It sounds like an eventful trip indeed.

Sean

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Crimea River said:

Great looking build. You are a courageous man for tackling those flaps. I thought of doing the same on my recently completed FB VI but chickened out. Great work!

Andy

Thanks. I thought the cutting the flaps would be relatively easy, until I cut the first one out... But they look ok from about 3 feet away. :D 

Sean

On the final stretch now. Just the landing gear to assemble.

20200203_220105

20200203_220008

Some of the decals have silvered slightly in places but I can live with that. One thing that I’m really pleased with is the exhausts and the exhaust staining, definitely one of my better efforts.

Sean

• Like 5