Curtiss Hawk III, RoCAF, Ningpo Special, China 1937

Howdy everyone, now the silly season and the first Shifts of the year are out of the way I managed to finish my latest effort:

tqYfev2.jpg

Freedom Models 1/48 scale Curtiss Hawk III kit

JZEKGGA.jpg

Finished in the markings of 25 Sqn, RoCAF, based at Yangchow Airfield, China 1937

gePm3r1.jpg

and flown by Pilot Mu Fei Chang. 

B5CBkgd.jpg

The script on the fwd fuselage ( which also appears under the wings ) reads Ningpo Special according to what I found on the web.

xzlEi95.jpg

As usual mostly from the kit contents, I did replace some of the etched stuff with bits of wire but managed to use the interplane rigging and engine harness

McgR9wD.jpg

Kit went together quite well apart from the cabane struts, which I partly replaced with plastic strip as the moulded parts didn`t match the locating holes in the wing

PY80cWt.jpg

The decals are the kits and were impervious to everything I tried except a very hot hair dryer and stiff brush

nJbsF9D.jpg

Really glad to have one in the collection at last.

Hope you enjoy the pic`s, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 39

14 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

If you don’t mind I am forwarding these photos to CW Lam, in Hong Kong. He catalogues Photos of Chinese aircraft and preserves Chinese aviation history. This belongs in a museum. 

You`re very kind, no I don`t mind at all I`d be very pleased🙂

Now, that's a Curtiss Hawk! Nailed the build and the colors. Looks more like a 1/32 Hasegawa kit than a 1/48 short run! Ding hao!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Thanks 1

Terrific build.  I have a 1/72 kit in the stash that I have been putting off building for years.

can I ask what paint you used for the dark green?

AW

• Thanks 1

That's a great build Russ! I'm jealous because yours is done (= superbly done) and mine is still in the stash. I hunted this kit last year after "H" run out of stock and finally bought it for a prohibitive price via Ebay. Anything to watch during construction? I will definitely not use PE for the rigging (never did anyway).

Fine background photography, too, as usual!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Andwil said:

Terrific build.  I have a 1/72 kit in the stash that I have been putting off building for years.

can I ask what paint you used for the dark green?

AW

Cheers AW, its Slightly lightened Humbrol 66 dry brushed with Humbrol 155 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Toryu said:

That's a great build Russ! I'm jealous because yours is done (= superbly done) and mine is still in the stash. I hunted this kit last year after "H" run out of stock and finally bought it for a prohibitive price via Ebay. Anything to watch during construction? I will definitely not use PE for the rigging (never did anyway).

Fine background photography, too, as usual!

Cheers Toryu, no, it`s not too bad at all. Just the struts between fuselage and top wing don`t line up with the holes and shaved the cockpit walls a bit .

• Thanks 1