USS Midway F-8 and A-7

mdauben

I recently picked up a 1/72 Testors/Fujimi A-7E Corsair II.  I'm planning on building it using the markings for VA-93 Blue Blazers NF303/160544 | USS Midway circa 1979(?).  See cover photo below:

spacer.png

Eventually, I'd like to build a 1/72 F-8 Crusader from the same carrier and time period and display them together.  I'm wondering if anyone makes a F-8 kit with those markings, or if there are any aftermarket decal sets that match?  If not, does anyone make decals for the two planes from the same carrier and time period (I'm not stuck on the Midway or the Blue Blazers, I'd just like a matched pair in the old grey over white paint scheme).

As a follow up question, which would be the correct version of the F-8 to match the time period of the A-7E?  Any recommendations on a particular F-8 kit?

Thanks!

• Like 1

There were no F-8s on USS Midway in 1979 as the fighter units of her air group were VF-151 and VF-161, both equipped with the F-4 Phantom II.

The problem in general is that the A-7E entered service in 1970 and by then only a few units were still flying the Crusader. These squadrons operated from the remaining Essex class carriers while the A-7E was first introduced on larger carriers, so no Air Wing operated the A-7E beside the F-8. Earlier Corsair variants did, for example the A-7A and B of VA-153, VA-155 and VA-215 serving with CVW-19 together with the F-8Js of VF-191 and VF-194. However by the time the A-7E reached all units, no Crusader was flying from carriers anymore: the last units equipped with the type were the abovementioned VF-191 and 194, that received Phantoms in 1976 (and were disestablished after little more than a year to be reformed on Tomcats in the mid '80s for another very brief time).

Regarding a suitable Crusader variant for the time, the F-8J would be the one. No doubt about the 1/72 kit to choose: the Academy offering is a great kit, much superior to any other in this scale and IMHO one of the most enjoyable kits on the market of any jet fighter

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Try the CV-34 USS Oriskany, during her 5th cruise in May 1970.  CVW-19 with four combat squadrons – VF-191 and VF-194 equipped with the familiar F8 Crusaders and VA-153 and VA-155 equipped with A-7. The 6th and perhaps later cruises also had the F-8 and A-7 combo. I've seen a pic with all A-7s, I believe.

https://thereaderwiki.com/en/USS_Oriskany_(CV-34)

Grant

• Like 2

If you get an Academy F-8 kit, the most glaring problem is the landing light is shown to be installed on the wrong side. Academy Js have for some reason become very rare. I only have one and a pile of Es. Found these casted parts which might help for the tail, wing fold, flaps, intake, and seat https://www.armycast.cz/gb/172-resin-sets/206-ac-72036-f-8-jfnp-wing-set.html

Edited by busnproplinerfan
  • Like 3

I don't know how to post links, but try the following:

gonavy.jp/AirWingsf.html

They give detailed lists of carrier and aircraft types assigned to each Air Wing, by deployment.  According to this site, CVW-19 never operated A-7Es, only As and Bs.  CVW-5 apparently never  operated any A-7s while operating F-8s.  Hope this is useful,

• Like 1

7 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

If you get an Academy F-8 kit, the most glaring problem is the landing light is shown to be installed on the wrong side. Academy Js have for some reason very rare. I only have one and a pile of Es. Found these casted parts which might help for the tail, wing fold, flaps, intake, and seat https://www.armycast.cz/gb/172-resin-sets/206-ac-72036-f-8-jfnp-wing-set.html

That's a very interesting set !

An alternative is to get the Academy F-8P box, this should include the larger taiplanes of the F-8J. Of course it also means having to buy an aftermarket decal sheet to build a J

• Like 1

Yes, the F-8Ps were the last ones built as Js with the French options, they even had navy BuAer numbers assigned to them but never put on that I know of. Then yes you have to find a decal set. Either way would work.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the input!  I may just model my eventual F-8 from another carrier, then, unless maybe I can find a markings for aircraft from the USS Oriskany!

Edited by mdauben

I've seen at least three decal sets with F-8s from the Oriskany. Look around you should be able to find them. Just make sure to research the BuAer. number of the particular F-8, sometimes they are mislabled and might be a A, C, E or J if you want it super correct.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had to do some research because in my mind the F-8P was the designation given to F-8H Crusaders taken out of storage and modified for service with the Philippine Air Force. That proved to be true. My research further unearthed the fact that French Navy F-8E(FN) Crusaders received an update late in their service life, which improved them a lot, and those planes were re-designated F-8P. I suspect the Philippine Air Force Crusaders had been withdrawn from service by then.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack this forum, I tried to read carefully this topic, but I am still uncertain in decision. Can somebody write me if I can use these decals with 1/72 F-8P french navy made by Academy to built US NAVY aircraft? If yes, can you suggest which version H or J? thanks

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/xtradecal-x72-160-f-8e-h-j-crusader--183313

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/academy-12559-f-8p-crusader-french-navy-last-flight--1139425

5 hours ago, Jan_D said:

Sorry to hijack this forum, I tried to read carefully this topic, but I am still uncertain in decision. Can somebody write me if I can use these decals with 1/72 F-8P french navy made by Academy to built US NAVY aircraft? If yes, can you suggest which version H or J? thanks

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/xtradecal-x72-160-f-8e-h-j-crusader--183313

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/academy-12559-f-8p-crusader-french-navy-last-flight--1139425

The (rather lovely) Academy F-8P French Navy has the same larger chord tailplane and double-hinged leading edge droops as the F-8J, so you should be able to build F-8J, Bu.No. 150661, 'PP / 101', NAS El Paso, Texas, 1980 from the Xtradecal set

13 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

The (rather lovely) Academy F-8P French Navy has the same larger chord tailplane and double-hinged leading edge droops as the F-8J, so you should be able to build F-8J, Bu.No. 150661, 'PP / 101', NAS El Paso, Texas, 1980 from the Xtradecal set

Thank you for help 🙂