Another Airfix Valiant

c3d73e03d8f202e54e3607cfffcb2ca9.jpg

So this happened... I got offered an Airfix Valiant for a very good price, how could I resist? My second Airfix Victor is close to finishing now and my first Valiant has been completed. I'll begin this probably in the next few days, I haven't decided yet if I want to get resin corrections for this and make it as accurate as I can or just go with it as is. Definitely not an out the box scheme though if all goes as planned. I started my first build not really liking the silver scheme the early Valaints wore, but by the end of it I kind of wished I'd gone with one. So that's what I'm doing now. The other option is camouflage but that looks like a nightmare of a masking job that I'd rather not deal with. 

hitchwz365.jpg

https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/valiant/gallery.php

This is the scheme I will be replicating, and as far as I can see all the decals and parts I need are included in the box and PR/tanker upgrade kit if I swap a few serials around- I might need to borrow one or two numbers from elsewhere but that's whatever.

Can't wait to get this started!

Here is my previous build vv

And a useful thread for this build

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

1a382e4ca509016c3b9db16526dbf6fb.jpg

Decided I'm going to have the bomb bay open to be in line with my second Airfix Victor, the first of the new tool Vulcans I do still probably Also have an open bomb bay (assuming I don't do blue steel first). Can't wait for that kit! Now I just need someone to release a Vulcan B.1 and Victor B.1 in 1/72....... I think I'm going mad with V Bombers 😂

75c7b5f3b6f869421fe01a889225cb0f.jpg

Cockpit's in, must remember the nose weight.... If I forget I guess this will be in a flying configuration. But I want this gear down. Perhaps the fourth one of these I do will be hung up from the ceiling.... 

b4cd648718f63136672e600058059258.jpg

And of course my tradition of marking which V Bomber I'm building on the inside of the fuselage.

I'm still debating whether resin corrections are worth it... The only inaccuracy I will really notice are the main gear doors and I reckon I can correct them myself or at least I'd like to take a shot at it. 

A good weekend if modelling ahead, I got somewhat organised so I haven't got a mountain of college work to do, only a small hill... 

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2

Began work on the intakes

09ffa03220a77550844ebc9ab6276e83.jpg

ff9fa230d9df70947ffa77aaefcfa3fc.jpg

I decided to spend last weekend working on a Focke-Wulf instead of this but I'm back to doing this kit again. 

I'll aim to get the intakes done within a week or so and the bomb bay painted. The bomb itself probably won't be glued in if it holds well with blue tack. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

cd3572cf9e45f3020f2358e3b21253f5.jpg

The intakes are just about ready for paint, also got a set of small Vulcan intakes on the bench

43dee19918cd3ec0a55cbed66c62e6ce.jpg

I encountered a problem that's been effecting my models for a while... This only happens on Airfix kits, and is persistent. The primer I use, Citadel sprays (Chaos Black I think it's called) seems to react to the plastic badly and dries with patches of a cracked texture and uneven application. This happened first on my Spitfire project where I was building 4 side by side and completely killed motivation on that, I finished one but I don't know when- or indeed if- I am going to finish that up. It had never happened before on any Airfix kit, and has happened since on every kit, even ones like this valiant made long before the kits that first had this problem, except my ancient Do17F (which I need decals for as the kit ones were less than usable). Any ideas? The kits haven't been washed in soapy water before building them, but that had never caused a problem with the primer. It's shaken well before use, and doesn't seem to affect any other brand of kit. The effect isn't as bad with their white primer, but still not great. It's a huge motivation killer...

0d9c94958851b03fbdd43cd33c92e8dc.jpg

The front wheel well was also affected, but it won't really be seen so I just painted it anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I'll follow along, if I may?

Solid progress so far, although I can offer no support on the paint front other than expressing sympathy.

I've often fancied once of these kits for converting into a "Type 1000" airliner... maybe too much!

Thanks for sharing, 

Jack 

On 25/02/2020 at 21:23, P.1127 said:

I've often fancied once of these kits for converting into a "Type 1000" airliner... maybe too much!

There wouldn't be much if anything left of the kit by the time you'd finished.

If you really want a V1000 / VC7 and don't mind 1;144 scale S&M have done one in resin, website suggests Mel will do another run of them if enough interest

I built one a while back, it's reasonably large in 1:144

4 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

There wouldn't be much if anything left of the kit by the time you'd finished.

If you really want a V1000 / VC7 and don't mind 1;144 scale S&M have done one in resin, website suggests Mel will do another run of them if enough interest

I built one a while back, it's reasonably large in 1:144

I think you're right... I fancied the wings could be modified but not much else of use. I occasionally check auction sites for a damaged or built kit with that in mind.

I have admired your Type 1000 build recently, cannot fault it, especially in that livery.

Cheers,

Jack

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't from the valiant, but another model (Airfix Me262) has fallen victim to my primer. I just bought a new can as well to see if I just had a bad one after all... Nope! It's ----------- very very bad. I put down a layer of black paint first, then white which should show what's going on better. The white primer was even worse over the black. But on other parts on the Me262 took the new white primer with no issues! I even through washed the plastic first.....

I am CONFUSED

cf7718b680586903c125a89855a5dba4.jpg

09912988d073377c2efdb6cc091a2133.jpg

2400bf3c491b577e29da62751c53a54c.jpg

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Right so little update on this, I'm bored out if my mind in the Covid19 lockdown, I figured that the white primer works on its own. I'll be continuing this build using white primer. 

Also, I changed my mind on which airframe I will be building. I will be doing WP201 at a very early point. This was the third production Valiant (5th built overall) and at first had the prototype style canopy and bomb aimer's blister. Perfect, I can use the left over parts of the masking set from my first build. 

Even better, WP201 didn't have any vortex generators where later ones did. This will be a huge help with the build as the vortex gens on the fin are a pain as the fin flash goes over them. Also, most of the vortex gens on the Airfix kit are wrong anyway, so I can eliminate one of the many small innacuracies on the kit.

b04fdf000c7f1dc95d2ed7977a34ecfe.jpg

• Like 3

I don't know if it's sacrilegious to say so on this forum mate, but just try not using primer?

I never have, and the only reason my kits may not look as good as many on here isn't through lack of primer but just spraying too thick, impatience or poor handpainting ability. But in my opinion, primer makes no difference. You don't need it.

I never wash the parts either, maybe my ebay bargains are so old they don't need it! 😂

• Haha 1

2ea5332fc740d808c516422ddb864fd4.jpg

I used a bit of loose change for the nose weight.

I'm also going to switch over to switch over to the closed bomb bay option, so I need to put in the supports for that before closing up the fuselage....

74bbd03aedbe679b93bd90c53e126f3c.jpg

The next task is to remove the vortex generators as WP201 didn't have any at the point which my model is going to be based on.

773f6c54f88d4b7950cd5454e9448db6.jpg

212fd40f689f980718eb3b8234723b02.jpg

2b1c9d9f5d3aa8c9ad12eb85ea211f52.jpg

Begone innacurate vortex generators that I don't need on this build anyway!

dd88d1c1da1114b5d8b1afa35a1a9de1.jpg

Work has started on the tailplane, oh and look, more vortex generators to remove.

• Like 2

185d836b41b259bdd20ecd04c70b225c.jpg

I put the fuselage together at last and added the canopy

87a41f82291119a8f05f645462dccfc1.jpg

9e7b212b6d8789c15ebc00539e415260.jpg

Of course I marked which airframe I am modelling as I do on most of my v Bombers

Next up was dealing with the bomb aimer's blister, I need the earlier style used on the second prototype (WB215) for WP201. Thankfully Airfix included the necessary parts- although you can't make an accurate WB215 out of the kit as it doesn't include other modifications you need. 

4438fa0605f4a244e1193ea1da3f6063.jpg

I drew around the outline with a Sharpie, then painted the area under black, removed the Sharpie and glued the blister on.

6b48522502f974bc4e7e9491ec6b1928.jpg

6bbf3915c9f0ac3ab6a6b9fc6ed94f67.jpg

ddd8a2599e7023563363de2bd7e70289.jpg

9400365e2f3cde8354bc039552ccdb0a.jpg

I'll deal with the seams next, then hopefully get the intakes painted.

• Like 3

Looking really nice there Adam. On the primer front, I hardley ever use it, but then I don't use acrylics either, only enamels and laquers. Have you tried washing the parts first? if there is any oily residue on the plastic it will cause the issue you are having with acrylics.  Regards, Pete in RI

5 minutes ago, europapete said:

Looking really nice there Adam. On the primer front, I hardley ever use it, but then I don't use acrylics either, only enamels and laquers. Have you tried washing the parts first? if there is any oily residue on the plastic it will cause the issue you are having with acrylics.  Regards, Pete in RI

I've compared the effect on washed and unwashed parts (both from Airfix Valiants, and the same part from each kit) and the effect was mostly the same. Other people have had issues with citadel black primer, so I'm fairly sure they changed the formulation of the paint and that's causing the issues. 

On the washed parts, the very same kit they came from had parts primed with an older can of black primer with no issues.

ahh, kk. I have no experience with Citadels. Sounds like it is that brand then. I have this kit and the Victor in the stash, so am following with interest, you are doing a great build, thank you for sharing. Regards, Pete in RI

Now what to do with these...

3a815c1bfff14ce43e977340d095d787.jpg

The gear doors, these parts are inaccurate. Rather than the strange corrugated look, they should have two circular recesses. 

It's an odd error but one I think been be easily explained. The last surviving Valiant, XD818, is displayed with the doors either closed or removed, I think this is because they'd likely be in the way. The inner doors have similar detailing, so I think this is a case of the Airfix designers just assuming it was the same on the outer doors. 

So, what I'll probably do is just sand off the wrong detail, I think just flat inside surfaces on these will look more accurate than what is on the kit. I might get some plasticard and attempt to approximate the look of them, but the shape is actually fairly complex as there's a raised part in the centre which makes it awkward- I could simply leave that off though. 

• Like 1

The doors have never been fitted since XD818 went on display at Cosford, but they were for many years sat on a pallet next to her; inside face up, so just very sloppy research I'm afraid.

It's well known that the Nimrod was done by Trumpeter's C team - I wonder if the Valiant got the same treatment? 

Cheers,

WV908