Tiny Finnish Gnat - Special Hobby 1/72

reini

On 04/02/2020 at 22:21, JeroenS said:

Nice! So where has the map background gone? Now you're showing off your traditionally woven Finnish cloth?

I'm sorry - is this better...? :D 

spacer.png

Truth to be told - my mother-in-law is visiting and my hobby room was needed to accommodate our guest - so I don't have all my stuff readily at hand. Yes, I know, pretty awful. So I packed my essentials and found a corner of a table downstairs where I set up my stuff:

spacer.png

It's a bit tight but I will survive for couple days  :D I'm in such a good place with the Gnat now, so I don't let external influences come between us. Determined to see this thru before the weekend!

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, reini said:

I'm sorry - is this better...? :D 

Much better 🙂 

Banished from the hobby room!!! There should be a law against that. But, you're showing true modelling spirit by making the best of the circumstances, very commendable indeed. We'll be looking out for the finished Gnat!

• Like 2

spacer.png

Painted some chipping. I thought I would do it before washes so it would be toned down and blended in a little better. I also used light grey instead of silver- which I think works better especially with darker camo.

spacer.png

And the fuel tanks.

spacer.png

Smaller external stuff got their details highlighted with Tamiya Panel Liners....

spacer.png

... while majority of the plane got a Flory Models wash. It's a clay based wash that dries very quickly and is very easy to remove.

spacer.png

Here's the main weathering done. Will add some smaller details still but I don't think much is needed.

spacer.png

And the underside.

spacer.png

Canopy masking off and some more weathering added. Getting real close!

spacer.png

Last thing I did was used a pin as a pitot tube. Not much thinner than the plastic part but nice and straight - and shiny!

spacer.png

Looking at the real thing - it's quite hefty pitot tube for a plane for it's size.

spacer.png

And it is done! :) Very fun little project without any big problems.

And it is small, in case that wasn't already apparent. It might be bit hard to judge with no reference - but here are couple size comparisons to other planes:

spacer.png

Hawker Hunter...

spacer.png

... Vampire ...

spacer.png

... and Thunderchief! :D Another one seater & engined fighter :D 

More pics posted on the gallery 

Thanks for following and contributing to this thread!

Now, one project out of the way - sensible thing would be concentrate on the other projects that I have already started. But then again, a new project sounds like fun too? What say you @Enzo Matrix ?:P

• Like 12

Well done Reini. The little Gnat has turned out wonderfully well and is a great addition to the gallery. The whole WIP has been a pleasure from start to finish. 
Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1

congratulation Reini what a beautiful wee beastie you've produced!!!! :thumbsup:

From the phot's it's have to tell she's only 1/72nd scale, plus I know the model and she really is tiny.

Well done on finishing her and she really is a model to be very proud of.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Don't show me this sort of thing.   I'll only want to build one!!!   :lol:  

... then why don't you build one? :P Such a small plane that you can build it in no time and hardly takes any shelf space... :D

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, reini said:

... then why don't you build one? :P Such a small plane that you can build it in no time and hardly takes any shelf space... :D

I could indeed build one.  However, for such a small model, it comes attached to a huge great rabbit hole! :lol:  

If I build one of these then I will just have to build a Hal Ajeet, a Gnat F.1 in British test markings and a couple of trainer versions as well.  All of a sudden it gets completely out of hand! :fool: 

• Haha 2