Heller Saab J29E Tunnan***FINISHED***

PeterB

The problem with metallic finishes is that their appearance changes, not only depending on the type of lighting but also on the angle, but then the same happens in real life as is clear from the pictures Christer kindly posted. Anyway this is my first attempt.

DSC02433-crop

Believe it or not there are 5 different mixes of aluminium paint over the top of the original whitish finish - each with progressivelly more white added. Under artificial lighting and at this angle the darkest version looks perhaps too dark, but from other angles and in daylight when I painted it you can hardly see the difference between it and the base colour. I have managed to get my 30+ year old Hu64 thin enough to use on the tail though I doubt it will last long now it has been opened. Might have to get some more as Heller use it on the Lansen. 

I will leave everything to dry and then have a look at it agin in daylight.

Pete

• Like 4

Thanks Christer.

Would you happen to know if the metal finish was given some sort of lacquer/varnish coat or was it left untreated and became dull with age?

Pete

A word of caution to anybody thinking of making an old boxing of this kit. In the past I have developed the habit of giving ancient decs a thin coat of varnish to try and stop them disintegrating, so I did the same with the ones for this kit. I think that was a mistake because it turns out that they are nearly as thick as the ones with the original Airfix kits - virtually indestructible but very reluctant to conform to the surface, and the varnish will only make them worse!

Pete

A little touching up to do but my Tunnan is basically complete.

DSC02436-crop

Once everything is dry I will give it a quick coat of varnish - probably Xtracrylic flat which dries with a slight sheen. Still not sure about the angle of the drop tanks but they look a lot better now the main wheels are on.

Pete

• Like 14

Already done?! You didn't beat Ikea - but I'm sure you'll have the first airplane in the gallery :D 

That turned out to be a good looking plane and really nice kit! Love the different panel shades and overall sharp look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys,

Except for the slight problems I mentioned with the nose fit and the reluctant decals it is a fairly easy kit to make. I am quite pleased with it, though I expect others could have done a better job on the paintwork - as I said before NMF is not my favourite. When the "flat" varnish goes on it might reduce the contrast between the shinier "dark" panels and the rest. With luck I should get it sprayed on Thursday, along with my Vampire from the KUTA GB. One advantage of being retired is that at this time of year I have plenty of time for modelling - in summer I have to do a bit of gardening and go on family trips. Given the number of kits I would like to build in the various GB starting shortly, I thought I had better get a move on. The Lansen might take a bit longer, particularly if I decide to make pylons and fit the Rb 04 missiles, and then the Draken should be another fairly quick build, though I will need to scratch build a cockpit of sorts.

Pete

• Like 3

2 hours ago, reini said:

Already done?! You didn't beat Ikea - but I'm sure you'll have the first airplane in the gallery :D 

Yes I know, but there was a lot less swearing involved in this case, the instructions were clearer and with luck it will not fall apart in a couple of months because I built it wrong! Only joking (sort of)😀.

I suppose it is a combination of its "barrel" nickname and the odd few pics I saw over the years but I kind of expected this to be a fatter and taller version of the Mig 15 - same engine and straight through air flow design. Although I did actually see one in 1991 as mentioned earlier, it came as a bit of a surprise that it is actually quite an elegant plane, perhaps partly due to the much smaller nose air intake. More like an F-86 Sabre but with a mid wing and a slightly deeper fuselage perhaps. Certainly some similarities to the WIF Luft 46 machines, maybe due to the supposed Me P1101 heritage.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

Well done Pete. That’s looks great and you can’t beat a good quick build to raise the modelling mojo, especially when it’s turned out so well. I really like what you’ve done with this kit which to my eye is still as serviceable today as it ever was in its day. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dave,

Our well known mail order dealer in Lowestoft is selling the recent Heller reboxing of the Tunnan for about £9 and the decals should hopefully be somewhat less problematic so I can honestly say it should be a good buy to anybody who may be interested. I have enjoyed it and it looks good even after my slapping on paint with a hairy stick - probably even better with a decent airbrush finish.

Now if the Lansen goes together anything like as well I will be very happy, and the only natural metal on that is underneath! Hopefully by then my wife will have recovered from her chesty cold and will not find the fumes as unpleasant if I spray it. Fingers crossed!

Cheers

Pete.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2020 at 20:28, PeterB said:

Thanks Christer.

Would you happen to know if the metal finish was given some sort of lacquer/varnish coat or was it left untreated and became dull with age?

Pete

We're Swedes! Off course it's dull 😉

No seriously, all bare metal on Swedish aircraft was left untreated and always comes out a dull grey shade after a while.

A very nice looking Tunnan you got there!

• Thanks 1

Well the final coat is on, not that it seems to have made much difference, so I am classing my Tunnan as finished. I will wait a day or two to see if I can get any decent pics in natural light as I am not bothered about being first in the Gallery, but here's one to be going on with.

DSC02445-crop

I am quite pleased with it.

When the Tunnan A model entered service in early 1952 the front line equipment of the RAF was still the Vampire FB5 and the Meteor, with the recently introduced F Mk 8 gradually replacing the old F Mk IV - here is a pic for a laugh.

DSC02446-crop

Of course, by the time this improved Model E entered service in late 1955/early 1956 the RAF was begining to catch up as the early versions of the Swift and Hunter were with the Squadrons, but it would be a year or two before all the bugs were worked out, such as engine stall when the guns were fired etc.

I have enjoyed this build, but now it is time for the Lansen!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 15

• PeterB changed the title to Heller Saab J29E Tunnan***FINISHED***
3 hours ago, PeterB said:

DSC02445-crop

I am quite pleased with it.

And why not, it looks realistic to me, just the right dull aluminium sheen. And an F4 machine too - I approve! Sorry I missed the thread until now, but to my defense it finished almost before it started.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

well done Pete, she looks great along side the other 2.

They're all the same vintage, interesting the different design paths taken.

I hope you enjoyed the build, was great to follow, so in to the next!  Keep that production line running.:D

Thanks Col,

What I failed to mention in the rant was that to bridge the gap between the Vampire/Meteor and the Hunter the RAF was forced into aquiring Sabres for a few years - that at least gave then something about equivalent to the Tunnan - must have been a little embarrassing.

Pete