1:35 ZVEDZDA German SD.KFZ.251/110 "XAMOMAT"

This was one of the kits that I picked up at the charity shop for 50p, the intention was to build these to practice some weathering.  I had some problems with the tracks, so used this one to heavily mud them, I might have gone a bit carefree with the mud on this!

The rest of the build went ok.  I used the Ammo MIG scratches effects over the top of some Model Air rust 71.080, I think this base colour was far too uniform, and not very rusty.  Maybe next time I will mix up the base colour before apply the scratches solution.

On top of these is some oil pin washes.  First time I've really weathered to this extent, I'm happy with this.

49380139902_6705583175_c.jpg

49379938046_c6498b5e0c_c.jpg

49379932391_44a486d23d_b.jpg

49379928346_2596bd956f_b.jpg

49379925661_dec1f185b0_b.jpg

49380123867_db759d5b98_b.jpg

49380118637_87ffb79aae_b.jpg

49379914061_8f1aceccb6_b.jpg

49379454523_94c83f861d_b.jpg

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, noelh said:

I wish my local charity shop had 50p models like that. Just ladies shoes and dresses and old books. 

I was surprised as well, picked up four kits, this one, an "Artylery JSKI C7P" tracktor, VW Beetle and a WW2 horse drawn medial cart.  using them to gain some experience where I am not too concerned about the outcome.

• Like 1

No hanging around here, that was quick!

Looks good, perhaps, as you've mentioned the damaged paintwork is to uniform down to the red primer. 

As someone has pointed out before, look how plant and agricultural machinery (easier to find than damaged afvs) paint gets hammered and where. It wont be straight to the primer rather varying shades before the primer and then through to metal, with associated scuffs, scratches and streaks.

Hope you don't mind, it's my opinion and I'm no expert but it's how i learnt and you're a lot quicker than I was!

Looking forward to seeing you're next one.

All the best.

Darryl

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

No hanging around here, that was quick!

Looks good, perhaps, as you've mentioned the damaged paintwork is to uniform down to the red primer. 

As someone has pointed out before, look how plant and agricultural machinery (easier to find than damaged afvs) paint gets hammered and where. It wont be straight to the primer rather varying shades before the primer and then through to metal, with associated scuffs, scratches and streaks.

Hope you don't mind, it's my opinion and I'm no expert but it's how i learnt and you're a lot quicker than I was!

Looking forward to seeing you're next one.

All the best.

Darryl

Thanks Darryl, I'm all for constructive advice.  The red primer was supposed to look more rusty, but I take your point, it does need more varying of shade.  I'm going to work on aircraft next, but will building another WW2 armour shortly.

Cheers

Andy

8 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Thanks Darryl, I'm all for constructive advice.  The red primer was supposed to look more rusty, but I take your point, it does need more varying of shade.  I'm going to work on aircraft next, but will building another WW2 armour shortly.

Cheers

Andy

I'd be careful if I where you, they're a funny bunch over there, nothing like as nice as we are!😉

What-ever you do, don't paint a war time Spit crowbar red or leave P51 wings with panel lines! 🤣

Good luck.

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

I'd be careful if I where you, they're a funny bunch over there, nothing like as nice as we are!😉

What-ever you do, don't paint a war time Spit crowbar red or leave P51 wings with panel lines! 🤣

Good luck.

lol, I will be careful.

6 minutes ago, Alpha Juliet said:

Very nice!  What do you think to Zvezda after making this?  (Just invested in their T90 - not built yet, but looks pretty impressive in the box)

Many thanks.  This one was an older build, I was unable to fit the tracks that well together, but I couldn't fit the small rubber pads.  Other than that, it was a fairly simple kit to put together, it was an attempt to practice some weathering.  The fist Zvezda kit I built was this one.

Went really well, the tracks were glued in sections so pre-shaped.  I will be doing another kit at some point as I like the brand, might even do a Russian fighter.  

10 hours ago, Alpha Juliet said:

Very nice!  What do you think to Zvezda after making this?  (Just invested in their T90 - not built yet, but looks pretty impressive in the box)

Hi AJ, 

with Andy's permission, the Zvezda T90 is a good kit, much cheaper than Meng's, and still, almost as good as him, but I have read in some review, that there is an ugly problem with the union of the Wheels to the hull, it does not describe it in detail, but it mentions that as a failure, when compared to the Meng kit.

Cheers mate 👍

• Like 1

Hi Andy,
For a first attempt with weathering it looks pretty good, a little more than I like, it's not a criticism, just a personal taste.
I see that you have had problems with the tracks, but it is normal, it still happens to me with every set I work, and it is not easy for everything to be as we like ... but as they say, the practice makes perfect ...:goodjob:

Cheers mate 👍

• Thanks 1

On 21/01/2020 at 18:28, FrancisGL said:

Hi Andy,
For a first attempt with weathering it looks pretty good, a little more than I like, it's not a criticism, just a personal taste.
I see that you have had problems with the tracks, but it is normal, it still happens to me with every set I work, and it is not easy for everything to be as we like ... but as they say, the practice makes perfect ...:goodjob:

Cheers mate 👍

Thanks Francis, I actually agree, I never intended for it to look that "rough", but it was a fun process.  The worst that could have happened was a spoil a kit that I picked up for 50p.  I really went to town, hopefully learning along the way.  Never used scratch effect before, even if I've paid a lot for some hair spray!!