Volvo F12-20 and (absolutely no) logging trailer in 1/32

JeroenS

gee that chassis is really coming along, that jig is a must for a project like this, very clever, well done. :D

Hmmm is @reini up to mischief??? Think as punishment he should build some Ikea Flatpac furniture!!! 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Hmmm is @reini up to mischief??? Think as punishment he should build some Ikea Flatpac furniture!!! 

Nooo, I have never put together an Ikea furniture - and I'm not about to start now. Good thing I have enough Nordic kits stashed so I don't have to resort to Ikea kits :P

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, reini said:

Nooo, I have never put together an Ikea furniture - and I'm not about to start now. Good thing I have enough Nordic kits stashed so I don't have to resort to Ikea kits :P

Perhaps he does not have a teenage daughter - mine went through a phase of wanting their bedroom furniture!

Pete

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Perhaps he does not have a teenage daughter - mine went through a phase of wanting their bedroom furniture!

Pete

You are correct - I don't. :D And my wife has taken a liking to old/second hand furniture - which is fine by me, atleast they come already assembled!

• Like 1

Soooo I wasn't entirely happy with the front axle so I scrapped it and started on version 2.0. This time I chose some sturdier 1 mm sheet instead of the 0.5 mm I used before. Also, I found a solution for the connection issue. I glued a 1 mm thick square piece of sheet to the wheel hub and drilled/carved out a hole for the end of the axle which is horizontal and 1 mm in length. I can now also use this square piece as a support for the air brake chamber brackets and the steering linkage. So overall a better solution, although I've chosen to keep the wheels in a straight line this time. And of course I need to make some minor adjustments to the jig. 

20200203203657-7cfa2ad7-me.jpg

• Like 5

The rear axle needed some work but it's coming along. Filled, sanded, doused with Extra Thin, then some more filler which is now drying. Should be fine. Then I thought let's have a look at some other parts on the sprues shall we? 

20200204204217-e4afbbf5-sm.jpg

Exhaust system, battery box, air tanks, catwalk. 

And 30 seconds later the Duplo puzzle has been completed. Mom can I do another one?  

Warning: no cleanup has been done on these parts, they might look a little better after that but then again it might not make much of a difference. 

20200204204217-1f621b2f-me.jpg

Here's the ensemble resting on my much more elegant chassis. And I'm not saying that because I consider myself an expert scratchbuilder. 

20200204204218-4f7314a6-me.jpg

I don't know guys. For the chassis I used mostly 0.5 mm sheet which is 16 mm in real life, in this scale. Still a bit on the thick side but more or less scale correct. That bendy thing in the left front is 1.5 mm thick which translates into 48 mm in 1:1. That's almost 2 inches of solid steel! It's all so very crude... 

It seems that so far, apart from the trailer, I've bought this kit for the cab (minus the roof), the mudguards and a rear axle 😋

Ah well, I'm having fun and also 3 more months 🙂 

I think the trailer is actually moulded a little bit better but the sprues are still in plastic bags so no definitive judgement there as of yet.

In the meantime, the filler on the rear axle has dried, and I've done a final sanding. Good enough!

20200204211156-4b7b20b4-me.jpg

Thanks for watching, more later!

• Like 7

Milestone reached: the leaf springs and rear axle are fixed to the chassis! The jig was very helpful there. I used 0.4 mm brass rod to simulate the attachment of the springs to the rear axle. 

20200208154937-6dcfbd70-me.jpg

I'm now working on the mounts. On the real thing the mount is a little bit wider but I think it's fine like this. I'll punch some bolt heads and glue them to the piece of card that's on the chassis. 

20200208154938-2f4be94f-me.jpg

In the meantime, some cleanup of kit parts that I'm using. This is an air brake chamber, slightly, but only slightly, misalligned. 

20200208154937-bae76e23-xl.jpg

But it already looks better after some cleanup and fresh detail. 

20200208160850-d647158b-me.jpg

I also cut off the mounts on this thing, way too thick and the brake chambers end up in an unrealistic looking place. Should be better now. 

• Like 9

I had an early start this morning, and I spent most of the day at the bench apart from breakfast, lunch and a bit of reading, but: it doesn't look like I got a whole lot done! That's the trouble with a "DIY" kit, some parts require a redo or even a re-redo 🙂 

However, I'm pleased with the outcome so far, and the day isn't over yet of course. 

I started out by finishing the mounts for the leaf springs, but that was just a bit of sanding and shaping, a warming-up so to speak. Then I started on the rear axle stabilizer and shock absorbers. I spent quite a bit of time looking at reference pics and even instructions of other kits, to try and figure out how I could get it all to work for this particular "one of a kind" chassis. Several attempts were made and re-made. This is the final result: 

20200209165257-660b5332-me.jpg

20200209165256-ed26c82e-me.jpg

Only the air brake chambers left to do. Then: air. There should of course be some hoses, wiring etc.

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to pour myself a stiff one (@reini no gloves required 😉)

• Like 9

I get what you mean by spending a whole lot of time on something - only to think afterwards that you haven't got actually much done. It is all the research, thinking (lets face it, some are better and faster at it than others...), crafting and fitting that takes up all the time from the actual doing.

But having said that - Im sure that when all is done, you pick up the model and take a peep under the truck - you will be quite pleased at what you have done.

New side effect from this forum - a craving for alcohol... :D

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Richard E said:

As long as it hasn't driven you towards the aquavit 

Well I don't mind the Aquavit, it's the fermented herring I can do without 🙂 

• Haha 4

Third time's the charm so I decided to have one final crack at the front axle as I wasn't really happy with it. I got out some H profile which was in my stash-of-styrene all along and cut and "welded" and strenghtened things into shape. Then I attached lengths of rod at the end after cutting a groove in these pieces for the H shape to sit in. 

20200214150913-4f529709-me.jpg

Now this is starting to look like someting. Next I took some angled strip, drilled holes and made 4 pieces for tops and bottoms. 

20200214150912-1d4496ab-me.jpg

It's even movable so I can still change the angle of the wheels, but once I'm happy with it I'll glue everything in place, fixing the angle. I will then cut the rods to length and use the horizontal pieces to attach brackets for brake chambers and steering linkage. I'll attach the brackets for the leaf springs to the undersides of the springs first, then glue the whole thing to the axle so I can be sure the brackets are in the correct place. I've been pondering about this front axle a bit this week, so I'm happy that I can now move forward again. 

• Like 9

On 2/9/2020 at 5:26 PM, JeroenS said:

Well I don't mind the Aquavit, it's the fermented herring I can do without 🙂 

spacer.png

I believe it's a very acquired taste :)

Your build is turning into an excellent scratch building project Jeroen

7 hours ago, Richard E said:

I believe it's a very acquired taste :)

I'm not going there! 🙂

7 hours ago, Richard E said:

Your build is turning into an excellent scratch building project Jeroen

Thanks Richard. It's fun to have to think about all the things you take for granted when putting together a kit. It's waaaay more work though! The goal for this weekend is to have the front axle attached to the chassis. I will have a solid base then to which I can start attaching more stuff. Maybe even some (modified) kit parts!

• Like 2

Front springs done. 

20200215134459-80e6b5a0-me.jpg

I can now glue these to the axle which has been secured in the updated jig. Then, I have to make the attachment points to the chassis, which will be a bit tricky I think. As the chassis curves outward, the front mount is located under the chassis, while the rear mount is located on the side of it. 

• Like 7