Volvo F12-20 and (absolutely no) logging trailer in 1/32

JeroenS

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try not to leave my roll of duct tape under the cab 🙂 

That trailer looks pretty good! At least a lot better than the kit version. It all very much depends on time though, we've got almost 2 months left but time flies. I'd rather have a good looking truck and no trailer than a decent trailer and a half finished truck. However, I'll keep this one in mind!

• Like 2

On 15/03/2020 at 12:04, JeroenS said:

Thanks @Christer A! I gather you are a Volvo engineer? I did have a basic understanding of the concept of an engine, and what a turbo does, but knowing this is not the same as translating it to an actual engine with pipes going every which way. Having to (well, wanting to, of course) make all these different parts yourself gives you a much better understanding of all this, especially when educated by bonafide engineers 🙂 ... Very helpful for future builds. And it's always good to learn new stuff. 

Correct! Design engineer to be precise, but my main area is usually inside the engine with all the rotating parts...

You've done a great job with the fuel pipes, and it will be interesting to see how you'll tackle Exhaust, inlet and turbo later on.

But I cannot get over the fact that the engine (of this vintage) looks so BARE! Compared to today's spaghetti-nest of pipes, wires, hoses and other stuff the designers of the 80:s had it real easy...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Christer A said:

But I cannot get over the fact that the engine (of this vintage) looks so BARE! Compared to today's spaghetti-nest of pipes, wires, hoses and other stuff the designers of the 80:s had it real easy...

Well... trust an engineer to overcomplicate things 😉 

• Haha 4

in the old days a couple of engineers would design and engine to last nearly forever....now we have buildings of engineers to design engines to last a year or two at the most!  Progress huh!!

Guess it keeps the little buggers off the streets! :tease:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a bit harsh, Rich. If you consider truck diesel engines, those nice simple ones had far poorer efficiency than modern ones and spew out all sorts of nasties. Cunning electronics (which, fair enough, have more than their fair share of gremlins) allow smaller, lighter engines to churn out more power. ABS is perhaps not that modern but most would describe as a good thing. I agree with your sentiment about built in obsolescence though. The EU is currently developing legislation obliging manufacturers to make their products far more serviceable - something engineers would probably do naturally but corporate accountants would not. In my book, this is a good thing.

@JeroenS, I do hope the silver lining of this current world stand-still is that you get time for a trailer; I would try and talk you into a "Queen Mary" aircraft transporter but I think it would be too fiddly for your time-line.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

I do hope the silver lining of this current world stand-still is that you get time for a trailer; I would try and talk you into a "Queen Mary" aircraft transporter but I think it would be too fiddly for your time-line.

Well, apart from the fact that I work from home even more than I normally do, I don't see a big increase in modelling time actually. Not during the week anyway. I usually spend a lot of my time in or around the house when I'm not working so that's not changing. Except on Sunday's when my wife and I usually go hiking that is. So maybe there's half a day extra if we're starting to get fined when leaving the house (i.e. if the lockdown is increased) which is currently not the case (yet).

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, HoolioPaulio said:

I'm loving this build, and your scratch building skills are amazing.  I will get around to buying a 1/24 truck kit at some point, I will...

Thanks, although "amazing" is too much honour I must say, in that case I would have been done by now 😉 

It's still new to me, but I do have increased confidence and have found that if you try enough times you will produce something useable in the end.

• Like 2

Right, fuel pump... I'm sure you're familiar with that Tenacious D song, where these guys sing about the best song in the world, but that the song they're singing "doesn't sound anything like that song"... Well, the same is true for my fuel pump 🙂 I'm sure I made the best pump in the world, the best pump in the world, this is just a tribute... 

Well you get the point. The fuel pump is quite an intricate thing to model, so I knew I was never going to get close. So, I just started cutting and glueing, and now it's more like an artist's impression of a fuel pump... only, I'm a software developer and not an artist 😋

This is what I came up with: 

20200318212907-1105c21c-me.jpg

Some more stuff like small diameter pipes and such will be connected to the front, using those rings as attachment points. And there will be a small shaft running to the front of the engine, to actually drive the pump. At least, that's what I think it should do. Anyway, this side of the engine is starting to look busy now and that was the main goal. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I do have to keep reminding my self of the scale every time a see an update!

8 hours ago, Kirk said:

It's a bit harsh, Rich.

yeah sorry i can be a bit harsh! :D Too many years I think of working with engineers as  field service engineer!

Plus I've forgotten all the good jokes as well! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Weekend has kicked off so back to the fun work, and continuing with the engine. The fuel pump has a "driveshaft" now, pretty basic and a bit crude but another thing added to make things look busy. 

20200320173023-f0b6c539-me.jpg

I think it's now time to continue with the turbo and exhaust pipes. When that's done, I can determine how much space I have left to add more stuff. 

• Like 5

:popcorn:

Really enjoying this Jeroen.

If you get a moment (when you're done, perhaps) check out this build by the ridiculously talented @caterhamnut. Obviously it's easy for him working at 1:12 scale <cough/> but he does manage to cram a fair bit of detail into his engines.

Anyways, keep up the great work at 1:32. It's brilliant.

• Thanks 1

Moving along nicely, I'm happy with this so far. 

20200320212223-9aa93024-me.jpg

20200320212223-581d6da2-me.jpg

Now I can start on snailhouse #3 which will then need to be connected to the exhaust. Which, as you can see, will take some work to get from point A to point B: 

20200320213139-7cc00e77-me.jpg

• Like 9

Your engine has come a long way from the non-descript block that the kit started out with :thumbsup:

Edited by Col.
  • Like 2

@reini More white plastic added to counter the kit's grey leftovers 🙂 

The compressor, turbine and exhaust are neatly lined up. The lower pipe will need to be extended downwards, while the upper pipe will follow the length of the engine, then down the left side, through the intercooler and up the other side to the intake manifold. 

20200322110932-1bafb733-me.jpg

It should end up right here on that rectangular bit. 

20200322110933-78e668c9-me.jpg

Let's see how far I can get with this today. We've already been outside early this morning for a short walk of about 1,5 hours. Bit nippy with the wind, just above zero, but we didn't encounter any other people which is a goal in itself these days. The rest of today will be spent at the bench and I have no problems with that whatsoever as you can imagine 🙂 

• Like 10

Despite my earlier best intentions, progress has been a bit slow. Of course, I got distracted, mainly by myself. Also, I fell asleep on the couch this afternoon which didn't help 🙂 

Anyway, the upper part of the intake pipe has been added. Before I started I checked the space under the cab and that's why it doesn't run all the way forward and straight down. The join will be in a bit of a weird spot but I'm not very good at the bending thing so that's why it ends where it does. 

20200322165116-ba4d7546-me.jpg

Meanwhile, on the other side, I've added a box-like structure from which a few wires/pipes will sprout. Also, the intake pipe was shaped. 

20200322165117-6ef8a2a1-me.jpg

It should look something like this when attached. 

20200322165117-fe98b595-me.jpg

I'll cut the pipe to length once I've figured out where it should go. Also, like on the other side, I think I'll have to add some bits and pieces before I can attach this intake otherwise accessing the engine block will be difficult. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

I'm not very good at the bending thing

The styrene bending expert is probably Manfred ( @roma847) so it's probably worth checking out his Shuttle Diorama if you have a week or so to spare. Bending proper begins when he builds the water suppression system and involves balsa, pins, a hot air gun, fear*, surprise*, ruthless efficiency*, fanatical devotion to the Pope* and other such unfathomable attributes. He seems to be able to bend any diameter rod in any plane with micron level accuracy so there may be some tips in there. If the tubes are half as good as the engine so far, you'll be fine.

*these may be part of Monty Python's Spanish Inquisition rather than having anything to do with bending.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Kirk said:

*these may be part of Monty Python's Spanish Inquisition rather than having anything to do with bending.

I already have fear and surprise covered so at least I'm headed in the right direction 🙂 

Edit: whooaa that shuttle dio thread is 76 pages!! Awesome stuff going on there though. 

Edited by JeroenS
Visited the shuttle dio
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is coming along great...even if you do fall asleep on the couch! :D

I just had a quick look at the Shuttle Dio build........ I use to think i could build models......now I think I'll go back to playing with Play-Doo! 

• Like 1