Volvo F12-20 and (absolutely no) logging trailer in 1/32

JeroenS

5 minutes ago, srkirad said:

Closet in cabin is assembly from IKEA? :) just to make sure it is full 100% Nordic theme! 😁

Great job Jeroen, you're the "styrene master" definitelly!

Cheers,

S.

That's right, the cab needed an IKEA interior of course! Now I just need to make some parts that were left over from assembly 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Stealing an hour at the bench, starting on the engine. After a bit of fiddling I settled on a "design" for the cylinder head covers (?), or whatever they're called. There's 6 of them anyway, I've made one, five to go... They'll probably all end up looking different though!

20200311202948-976b9024-me.jpg

• Like 6

OK, weekend has started. There were plans for tomorrow, but they got cancelled because of corona "countermeasures". Too bad, however this means more modelling time so you just can't loose. I'm halfway through my six cylinder thingy's. 

20200313163456-bbf024de-me.jpg

They will need a little more work once I've done them all, but for now they're ok. It doesn't even take that much time to go from the square version on the right to the more rounded version on the left, but I get a little itchy after doing the same thing more than twice so it's still a bit of a chore. Oh the art of procrastination. I've done the three on the left over three days even though it takes only a few minutes to sand one! Pathetic. After this update I'm going to sit down and do the other three, promise. 

Because the engine is now basically only a rectangular piece of plastic, I don't know all that much about engines, and the actual engine is loaded with all kinds of stuff and wires and tubes, I've been putting it off as well. I've just been thinking about what (not) to add and not doing anything. I'm just going to dive in and glue some more or less random bits and pieces on it this weekend. I'd like to have it finished Sunday night, so I can move on. This thing is keeping me from doing that, so I need to get on with it!

• Like 5

And here they are already. They look like crooked teeth but I'm sure I'll be able to straighten them out a little bit. Plus they do look a little better when not zoomed in 🙂 

20200313173949-fd98b179-me.jpg

• Like 8

OK well, a finished engine by the end of this weekend is not going to happen, but at least I've dug into it and made a start, so that's pure profit 🙂 

Working on the turbo and exhaust now, from the air cleaner onwards, on the left side of the engine. I have the compressor with its intake and outlet.

20200314142841-f14d2077-me.jpg

In situ it should look something like this. 

20200314142841-6348f4ac-me.jpg

Much of my time is also spent on figuring out what goes where... I'm not exactly a mechanic 🙂 

But I'm curious and I do like to know stuff. I'm working off photo's like this, which display "my" engine. The air canister on the right, with the large pipe going into the compressor. 

20200314145708-9064771f-me.jpg

If I understand the workings correctly, the upper pipe, the compressor outlet, flows air into the engine, only I have no clear idea (yet) of where it actually goes into the engine. It looks like the piece in the lower left corner is the same pipe as the one on top, suggesting it goes into the radiator for more cooling of air, and out the other end into the cylinders, as shown below.

20200314152311-d1a176ad.jpg

Is there anyone who can confirm this? Or correct my theory, of course 🙂 

I'm now going to make the turbine which is on the left of the compressor in the upper picture, and the cooler which is in the middle of those two. The turbine is driven by the exhaust gasses and I believe there are two pipes leading from the engine for this, one from both sides of the engine. Finally, exhaust gasses exit the engine from the turbine's outlet. So far so good, just have to confirm the way the compressed air enters the engine. 

Edit: ahh, wait a minute, that thing on the front is of course the intercooler! I already said it myself, only I called it the radiator but of course that's a system containing fluid, not air. 

• Like 3

I got the idea to check whether my "pipework" would fit under the cab. It would be rather typical for me if it didn't. Turns out there's enough clearance, but only just!

20200314155707-de338a1d-me.jpg

I think I'll shave a little bit off the pipe leading from the air cleaner just to make sure. 

• Like 2

I'm not unhappy with today's result. Apart from what I've made I also think I know how this should all go together. So this is close of business today: 

20200314210408-984b6a46-me.jpg

A little bit of detail added to the cylinderhead covers. Exhaust pipes on the side of the engine. Compressor and its inlet and outlet. The second "snailhouse" is the start of the turbine, which should fit in the hole I made in the engine's exhaust. But before I proceed with those parts I think I'm going to have to add some wires from below the pipes to the top of the engine. 

• Like 6

More nice work Jeroen and the fact it just fits under the cab with precious little clearance is authentic :lol: 

The large black barrel will be the air filter with the duct curving round the the turbocharger impeller, this is driven by exhaust manifold gases being fed through the rusty bit and then on down into the exhaust pipe. The black and silver pipe that runs along the top of the engine in your first photo takes the now 'turbo-charged' compressed air to the intake manifold where it'll get channelled into the cylinders.

• Like 2

Thanks @Col., I'm learning 🙂 ... At least these pipes should be connected in a more or less correct way. I'll probably add a bunch of other stuff just to make it look busy, but I think this is important enough to get right.

• Like 3

very nice!!!

....and you got all the pipework right as well, the rusty bits are the exhaust side of the turbo, and the corroded aluminium bits the air side, which goes through the intercooler at the front on it's way to the other side of the engine. 

The picture though looks like it may actually be that of and engine with the 2 stage turbo system fitted, hence the 3 turbo housings/drums (though really I though there should have been 4!). I just can't make out the rest of the pipework from the photo. 2 stage turbo's are quite common having a small and large turbo, helps to reduce turbo lag. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

The picture though looks like it may actually be that of and engine with the 2 stage turbo system fitted, hence the 3 turbo housings/drums (though really I though there should have been 4!). I just can't make out the rest of the pipework from the photo. 2 stage turbo's are quite common having a small and large turbo, helps to reduce turbo lag. 

Ah, that actually makes sense, I have lots of pics of various Volvo engines with the three housings like this, but I've never seen it explained (I have some Volvo brochures as well but it's mainly sales talk)

That old TD-120 engine is three and a half platform behind of what I'm designing now...

But the way of the clean Air is like this. From Air intake att the top of the CAB, down to the large cylindrical Air filter, and then to the turbo, where the exhaust gases compresses and heats up the Air. It must then pass through the intercooler in front of the engine before it is lead into the air inlets in the cylinderhead, where it's out through the normal suck, squeeze, bang, blow process which turns it to hot exhaust gases which spins the turbo faster compressing even more new fresh Air.

Simple?

In any case, the 6 Valve covers you made looks great! The TD-120 didn't have a overhead camshaft which is why it looks like this.

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 2

Thanks @Christer A! I gather you are a Volvo engineer? I did have a basic understanding of the concept of an engine, and what a turbo does, but knowing this is not the same as translating it to an actual engine with pipes going every which way. Having to (well, wanting to, of course) make all these different parts yourself gives you a much better understanding of all this, especially when educated by bonafide engineers 🙂 ... Very helpful for future builds. And it's always good to learn new stuff. 

Currently underway with some wiring. 

20200315115557-e1e7bd91-me.jpg

Takes forever in this scale. 

Just for the fun of it a side-by-side with Scania's beautiful V8 from the T143. 

20200315120107-51ef1a3c-me.jpg

• Like 5

Phew, well that was a bit of a job. But we have some wires. 

20200315150711-7014127e-me.jpg

This end still needs some work though 🙄

20200315150711-ec6c969d-me.jpg

• Like 8

it's looking better each time!!

16 hours ago, JeroenS said:

@trickyrichYou'll like this site 🙂 

http://www.oldaussievolvos.com/

There's even some explanation on "how Volvo builds a turbo" 

http://www.oldaussievolvos.com/pdfs/80's Volvo engine development.pdf

thanks for that, the final link about the engine explains exactly the turbo layout! It's not a 2 stage as I thought, that extra housing/drum on the left where the exhaust exits is actual an Exhaust Pressure Governor. Basically there to help the engine run more smoothly and efficiently!  I learnt something new today! :D

• Like 1

Wires all connected on the left side of the engine. Took a bit of CA (of various thicknesses) and a whole lot of zen but it looks reasonably OK so I'm happy with it. The paint should hide the worst bits 🙂 

20200316210816-2edb5f0e-me.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Jeroen,

No sure I can add much of the quality that Pat, Rich and Christer had to add but the CAD "sketching" I did a few months back alerted me to a few systems on the Cummins 4 cylinder turbodiesel I would have missed:

The engine drives an air compressor, used to maintain the braking system etc. The high pressure lines off this end up in the air tanks via various non-return valves, over-pressure valves etc.

You seem to be adding the fuel lines, that presumably emanate from a high pressure fuel pump.

As well as the large bore pipework from the turbocharger turbine via the intercooler to the inlet manifold, there are also smaller bore pipes from the top of the engine via the thermostat to the coolant radiator that I'd expect to sit aft of the intercooler. From the radiator, they head to the water pump which on the Cummins engine pumps the coolest coolant via a heat exchanger to the oil system.

I found the same pneumatic system diagram as you when looking so I can add nothing to that.

Not sure where the batteries will live on your Volvo but obviously the looms will all visit there. DAF ones live in ribbed flexible conduit.

(Your fuel lines are looking very good, btw.)

K

• Thanks 1

Thanks Kirk, I can assure you that every piece of information is very helpful! I've only just now realized that the "wires" I've been adding must indeed be the fuel lines, feeding each of the six cylinders. On a reference photo off which I modelled the left side of the engine, there's what must be the fuel pump to the right of the "box" out of which the lines originate. It's a first for me looking at an engine in such detail so I'm learning every time. 

• Like 1

Lovely build going on and both entertaining and informative.

The spotlights aren't just there to see the road, you have those really big deer like a cow on stilts? One of those through the cab is the last thing you'll ever experience. The lights are so bright the beast (elk?) has to blink and turn away, that beaks the spell and they lumber away. Aussie trucks have the same for kangeroos.

Clearance is pretty tight under there. I did a few years running sugar beet and the guy had a real mixed fleet and a Volvo nobody would drive. It was clean inside so I took it. After about ten miles my back was killing me. When I got to the factory I jacked the cab up to check the cab springs and a fitter had left a roll of duct tape in the bay which made the cab lurch somewhat. Took it out, didn't mention it and the truck turned out to be a beauty.

Good call on that trailer. It looked pretty hopeless despite your initial optimism. You could always knock up something like this and load it with a couple of steel beams

spacer.png

Just a thought....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1