Volvo F12-20 and (absolutely no) logging trailer in 1/32

JeroenS

Just couple of "Men's" mag's on the lower shelf and a few pie wrappers on the floor and it'll be spot on!!! :D

You'r going to have to include some before and after photos at the end because no one will believe it's the same model you started with!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm thinking the interior additions will be more than enough to look right within the cab. With or without Rich's suggestions :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks really good and very representative of a Volvo if not 100% accurate

Unless you sat in or worked on one you would never know. 

Cracking job

On a lighter note I remember a story from my days working for a truck company.

We had a very fussy driver who looked after his truck , well in terms of presentation,as a driver he was an animal.

One time he went on holiday for a week and our permanent relief driver drove his F10 all week

He duly made sure it was as clean as he found it but he smoked so obviously there was a niff in the air

When the original driver came back , he was not impressed to find a smoker had been in his truck. 

Straight in the traffic office and raised merry hell only to told it wasn't his truck and they would put whoever they wanted to drive the truck 

Only decision was that the truck was kept clean, which it was , the relief driver was a good lad.

Well the next time the driver went on holiday our relief driver drove it , cleaned it and out of his own pocket bought a fir tree air freshener

Not wanting to be moaned at as he was before by the driver he cut off all the ( I think ) seven branches and then shut the door on the Saturday

Didn't witness it but the other drivers reckoned when the proper driver opened the door on the Monday the smell was as if he had been hit the face with a sledge hammer

He never moaned again about a smoker

Good lad was Chris the relief driver, may he R.I.P

Edited by cherry268
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Great work @JeroenS, you can tell it’s an ikea truck as it has a wardrobe fitted where the drivers bunk should be :rofl:

Driver is tired, but looking good 🙂

• Haha 2

OK guys, final update for today. I'm really mighty pleased with the day's outcome. 7 steps out of 22 left. I'm starting tomorrow with the rear parts of the front mudguards, could be tricky so I'm not even going to look at it now. Fresh start tomorrow. 

20200509201906-c6aab188-me.jpg

A couple of spots where I slipped with the Molotow pen (dammit) need a touch-up, but that shouldn't be a problem. 

Here's the cab on the chassis. Front wheels still dry fitted which is why they look a bit wobbly. I'm leaving the cab removable to be able to view the engine. 

20200509201905-7ae06f04-me.jpg

20200509201906-08d38c9b-me.jpg

There are no clear parts for the side lights, so I'm kind of hoping I can paint Tamiya's clear orange over the chrome, and also hoping that it will then sort of look like a light. 

20200509201907-ff2847aa-me.jpg

• Like 14

Hard work has paid of, you spent months adding details to details. To something that was very far from a full truck. But it's all coming together now! Must be great feeling :)

So, if there's an extra week - will you be doing weathering? Or will it be pristine Ikea showcase build?

• Like 1

@JeroenS yes by the power of Grey Skull....or Enzo the almost Magnificent we now have an extra week for the GB, so no need to panic rush the final bits of this build.

See her together like this...wow...she looks amazing! You'll have to post some photos of her beside a 1/24th truck if you have one, to see the size difference.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, reini said:

Hard work has paid of, you spent months adding details to details. To something that was very far from a full truck. But it's all coming together now! Must be great feeling :)

So, if there's an extra week - will you be doing weathering? Or will it be pristine Ikea showcase build?

Thanks! Yes, a great feeling and I do want to see this finished, I want to do other builds! I don't think I'll be weathering her, I kind of like the bright and shiny look with the blue and yellow.

• Like 2

Here you go @trickyrich... It's actually not that bad, these are trucks from the same era. The Benz has 1 axle more of course, and it has a day cab so the comparison is a bit off. I quite like the 1/32 scale, I would definitely build more if they were available (they're not). 

20200510095241-50c1df0a-me.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Col. said:

Your Benz looks stunning Jeroen :thumbsup:

Thanks, it's still a WIP I'm afraid... I should have done it in a GB, keep the pressure on 🙂 

It's almost finished though, this is one I'm dying to return to, hence my wish to finish the little Volvo! 

• Like 2

I was about to ask if you had a progress thread for it as there looks to be some great weathering going on that a few of us could learn from.

40 minutes ago, Col. said:

I was about to ask if you had a progress thread for it as there looks to be some great weathering going on that a few of us could learn from.

Yes, there's a WIP: 

I was kind of new to weathering myself as I started this one (and still no expert at it, I might add). Since then I've found that drybrushing is a method of weathering that suits me well. I've also found that for chipping, I like applying tiny dots of liquid mask on a basecoat before applying the colour coat. I've done that on the Hanomag build (see my signature). The liquid mask comes off easily and you can start from there. But as I said, I'm also still very much in the early stages of weathering. But I like to try new things. 

• Thanks 1

Front mudguards are now fixed in place. 

20200510112203-7584e878-me.jpg

I'll be honest and admit to cheating... The rear parts are supposed to be fixed to the chassis. However... I found that I had left no space for mounts, and on the left side the exhaust is in the way. Here, some better planning would have come in handy 🙂 

Now I'll go and see whether I can fix my Molotow pen blunders.

• Like 4

Suzi cables. This was AM stuff I was actually happy with. Three coiled cables in red, yellow and black. So, this was fun... sort of... 

20200510150552-73e80c40-me.jpg

In another set of cables some fittings were included that are supposed to represent the air couplings. Nice touch, and they came in really handy for me as we'll see a couple of pics later. These were glued on the other ends. 

20200510150552-4438d32e-me.jpg

The chassis end of things. 

20200510150553-290c5f71-me.jpg

Now, because my cab is removable (it won't tilt very well and I'd like the engine to be visible) and the cables are in a mount on the cab when they're not in use I needed the cables to be removable as well. This is where the couplings come in. I drilled holes in the cab mount and the couplings fit nicely, and I can pull them out before removing the cab.

20200510150551-02785956-me.jpg

Like this (oh boy those close-ups)

20200510151707-48e51a7a-me.jpg

I think it's pretty nice!

• Like 11

Whip-crack went his whoopy tail, and the beast was done... 

OK guys, I'm calling it, this is as far as it goes. All the items on my "must have" list have been checked. When taking a good hard look at the AM lights I decided not to go with them as I didn't like them enough and I felt they wouldn't add to the build. I feel I have done everything in my power to take this basic kit to a next level. In doing so I have created a one of a kind vehicle and I like that idea very much. I have gained a lot of scratchbuilding experience which is something I will take into my next (and current) builds for sure. I'm genuinely pleased with what I've achieved 🙂 

This was my first GB and I must say I never thought it would be this much fun. I've already signed up for three more so it's actually true what they say about GB's isn't it 😉 

I'd like to thank all of you who liked, commented, supported, contributed and / or just added to the general silliness. Much, much appreciated!

Some pics to end these 17 pages (will I ever top that?) of build. 

20200510172926-b377490d-me.jpg

20200510172918-07dae796-me.jpg

20200510172919-02ba6cd9-me.jpg

20200510172926-8e8f9ace-me.jpg

Thanks for watching, more in the gallery!

Edit: the build has now reached 18 pages, but I had nothing to do with that 😉 

Edited by JeroenS
Topped my 17 pages, it's now 18...
  • Like 15

Excellent build matiepoos.

The only thing missing was a load of completely irreverent waffle in your build report, :wink: other than that - very enjoyable WIP.  

• Haha 1

Well Jeroen what can I say........a truly epic build and even more so being your first GB as well! :worthy:

What an amazing build and job you did on her, taking a basic "snap-tight" model, throwing away most of it and scratchbuilding practically everything else.

There were some amazing modelling skills on show here and I know I picked up a few tricks as well.

Thank you for joining us here, it was a super pleasure to have you along and to follow this amazing build.

Hopefully we'll see you in the Nordic Part 2....maybe you can build a trailer for her? :D

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Hopefully we'll see you in the Nordic Part 2....maybe you can build a trailer for her? :D

That's actually a good idea 🙂

• Like 2