Volvo F12-20 and (absolutely no) logging trailer in 1/32

JeroenS

Yaay, first paint for the project. Things look so much better in black primer 🙂 

20200419132343-c0cccf71-me.jpg

20200419132343-7d5f90d7-me.jpg

20200419132342-658b1c1c-me.jpg

20200419132342-82fd61b8-me.jpg

This is Mr. Surfacer 1500, thinned with Mr Color leveling thinner. First time I've used it on anything other than a plastic spoon but this is really nice stuff. I've thinned 50/50 and sprayed at 10 psi, worked beautifully. It does indeed level out nicely and dries fast. 

Now... originally I had the idea to spray the chassis and such blue and the cab yellow... But this morning, real early, as I was apparently a little awake (or I may still have been dreaming 😉) a thought hit me, and that was to reverse the colour. Chassis yellow, cab blue. The dominant colour of the Ikea stores is definitely blue, and also this allows me to spray the rear mudguards blue as well, it will offset the chassis colour nicely. I think. This is why I used black primer, I don't want a bright yellow and I'm hoping it will become a darker yellow, especially if I'm not going for full coverage. Sort of like blackbasing 🙂  And I can always go darker if I don't like it. Anyway I rather like the idea of the blue cab. We'll see!

• Like 9

I sprayed some yellow and I think I managed to achieve the effect I was after. Yellow, but not too bright and shiny like a toy. I'm actually quite happy with it. It's Tamiya's flat yellow, thinned down well with their laqcuer thinner in a ratio of 1/3, shot at about 5 psi. 

20200419160806-1ff5598b-me.jpg

20200419160805-2dc98412-me.jpg

20200419160805-f549e2e9-me.jpg

20200419160806-ca956336-me.jpg

20200419160805-23d27365-me.jpg

20200419160804-5628aff8-me.jpg

I'll let this sit for a day and see how I feel about it tomorrow. 

Now I'm going to have a few cold ones in the back yard 🙂 

• Like 13

A little progress made today, I gave everything a flat clear coat and I glued the engine in. At least this side is starting to look serious. 

20200420204905-dab96da6-me.jpg

The connections to the intercooler are a bit crude but I'll leave that for the next project... 

20200420204906-a68cb10d-me.jpg

Next: electrical wiring. After that the drive axle, fifth wheel, fuel tank (which needs a fair bit of work), mud guards. Lights, wheels... Oh boy. And I think it also still needs a cab... 

• Like 8

gosh I miss checking out the update on this build for a day or so and look what happens!!!

The cab is chopped up and there's paint!!! :yikes:

The cab looks much better with those corrections.

But the chassis!!!! Wow what a change some paint makes, it looks amazing! :thumbsup: When done I doubt anyone will believe it's completely scratchbuilt, it looks so good!

As cheeky Reini pointed out probably a record here for most posts before paint is applied! :D

• Thanks 1

Hi guys, made a start on wiring today. I'll make a couple of wire looms and glue them in along the chassis beams. I saw a fellow doing this in a video last week or so and I thought I'd give it a try. A jig with a hole in it, which is just large enough for the number of wires you'd like to bind together. Then, using EZ line, tie them up, pull them further out and tie again. 

20200421214439-1d88875c-me.jpg

The EZ line makes for excellent cable ties. Tie the knot, wick some thin CA on it and snap off the ends. Looks really nice. 

Here you can just see this loom sneaking its way toward the front of the chassis. 

20200421214438-333fff4f-me.jpg

Looks totally convincing I think!

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Even more detail! :wub:

I don't want to start taking shortcuts just yet 😉 

It will probably happen at some point, what with the deadline approaching. But I still feel I should be able to finish (just) in time. 

Just catching up on this (I'm not getting reply updates at the moment).  Chassis looks ace in the yellow, came out a good colour for a truck with the black base coat.  I'm picking up some good detailing tips for when I finally get my Italeri Scania T143H 6x2 :D ...that's if I have got confident enough by then to try it...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HoolioPaulio said:

I'm picking up some good detailing tips for when I finally get my Italeri Scania T143H 6x2 :D ...that's if I have got confident enough by then to try it...

I'm going to return to that build soon! Still need to strip the paint 🙄... After that I have some radical moves in mind. 

As for the confidence: of course you can do this! It's just plastic, what's the worst that could happen 🙂 ... The Scania chassis builds up very nicely anyway.

• Like 3

Chassis is now complete, this is as far as I'm taking the wiring. 

Lots of cable on this crossbar, the wire I've used is a little bit out of scale but on the other hand there's a lot going on in there. 

20200425131115-e6d048eb-me.jpg

Up to the front... 

20200425131114-30b3f56f-me.jpg

and down to the rear. 

20200425131115-73843b77-me.jpg

I think I'll make a start on the wheels, I can leave the chassis alone for a bit now.

• Like 6

Complete, you say? And what about the fifth wheel and driveshaft? 

Dammit! Forgot about those, but just found them while rummaging through the box containing the parts that are left... 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Col. said:

Your tidy work continues to yield impressive results Jeroen.

Thanks Col. I've just started making a list of all the things that still need to be done... It's a pretty long list 🙂 

35 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

will it be a show-room looking beast or are you going to take it out to play in the mud? :D

Not showroom, but I think it will be on the clean side of the spectrum. Somehow I don't think I'll have a whole lot of time for weathering 🙄

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Not showroom, but I think it will be on the clean side of the spectrum. Somehow I don't think I'll have a whole lot of time for weathering 🙄

Well at this rate you really don't need the cabin anymore! As the chassis is such a fine piece of craftmanship and details all on its own :D 

• Like 2