Volvo F12-20 and (absolutely no) logging trailer in 1/32

JeroenS

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

Fantastic looking engine! I can't wait to see it in Volvo green, if they used that paint back then that is...

Thanks Christer. I have a load of pics of this range of engines. I think "mine" is supposed to be a TD120F, but some of the 121, 122 and 123 models look similar. By now, the engine I have is probably a bit of everything mixed in with a healthy dose of artistic license 🙂 

In a lot of cases the engine colour is indeed green, but I've seen "dirt" and "rust" as well 😉 

In this case, because of the Nordic theme, I'm treating this truck as a "resto build" so chassis and engine will all be painted in the same colour. Not yellow. The other colour. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hi guys, been a while since my last update, had a very busy week at work so no bench time at all. The intercooler is at the very front of the engine, so before I can get there I have to start with pulleys and belts, then fan, then radiator. Still a lot to do, wow. 6 weeks left in this GB, I'd better get a move on. 

So this is the start of adding stuff to the front. 

20200328145440-b36f5770-me.jpg

Hardly any of this will be seen, eventually, so I didn't fuss about it too much. The belts should be flatter of course, but I wanted something sturdy in place. It should look better behind the radiator, and with paint on. I hope 🙂 

• Like 6

I think this is actually a passable fan. I've also made the ring that goes around the blades, but I'll let this dry for a bit first. 

20200328155536-a054d4dd-me.jpg

• Like 7

Well, this went better than I had expected. I made the ring out of 0.25 strip which I curled in the same way you would do a ribbon on a present, it worked very well. 

20200328163946-6c31a72b-me.jpg

Most of it will be hidden behind the radiator of course, but I think the overall impression should be just fine. 

• Like 9

The week of abstinence has done wonders, I seem to be on a roll today. Or maybe it's just the Ron Zacapa working its magic, what do you think @trickyrich? 🙂 

So I started on the radiator. I cut two rectangles of 0.5 mm sheet, and I cut a hole the size of the ring around the fan in one of them. Then, a 1 mm high ring around the newly cut hole.

20200328195123-42c36729-me.jpg

Some 1 mm high "outer walls". 

20200328195124-c17a398b-me.jpg

And then close it up. 

20200328195124-59880b73-me.jpg

I lightly scribed the other side in (sort of) squares, lacking any kind of mesh in my boxes of stuff. 

20200328195125-b59009fb-me.jpg

It should look something like this when assembled. 

20200328195125-b6f56bdb-me.jpg

Much sooner than I expected I can move on to the intercooler. Just checking the fit of all this in the chassis. It's a tight fit but realisticly so I think. 

20200328200218-200b4eb4-me.jpg

Thanks for checking in. 

• Like 10

Apparently I used up quite a bit of mojo yesterday because today there was definitely less of it around. I made the intercooler and attached it to the radiator, with a little spacer between them. Then I got to thinking about how to paint all this, and how to make sure my intake pipes were correctly shaped and mounted in a correct position on the intercooler and the engine. Regarding paint, I want to paint the engine separately from the radiator, because otherwise I'll not be able to paint the front of the engine. So I don't want the radiator/intercooler attached yet, but I still want it in a correct position... hmm... So in the end I glued the whole thing to the front of the chassis. It is now in the correct position, however now I'll be having some difficulties painting the inside of the chassis and the lower part of the radiator 🙄... A trade-off so to speak. But, at least now I can still remove the engine and I can determine the size and position of my intakes. 

20200329213257-fcd007ed-me.jpg

Removing the engine has become more difficult by the way, so I might temporarily remove the cab support.

On one side, I have the intake almost ready. Here it is, test-fitted with a bit of PVA glue. 

20200329213257-952663ae-me.jpg

A little more work but this should be fine. I will first add more detail on this side, before glueing the intake on the engine side, leaving the intercooler side for later when the engine is installed. The intercooler is 1 mm thicker than the radiator, because I wanted some more room for the connecting pipes. As it turns out I didn't need the extra millimeter, and the intercooler looks a little too thick. But I'll leave it like this anyway, I don't mind too much.

• Like 8

WOOOOOHOOOOO Ron Zacapa!! :cheers:  My beloved bought me (and her) a bottle the other day....needless to say it didn't last that long! :whistle:   :crying:

That engine is looking so good!! :thumbsup:

I know about the mojo thing....I'm having a complete break from my Navy builds to finish off my M1 ABV "Shredder".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

WOOOOOHOOOOO Ron Zacapa!! :cheers:  My beloved bought me (and her) a bottle the other day....needless to say it didn't last that long! :whistle:   :crying:

Hahaha yes... I know what you mean. Luckily I don't have any competition in my house and I'm the only one drinking it, I'm making it last 🙂 

Fantastic work Jeroen :worthy:

How will the engine be visible when the truck is built?  Is the cab hinged?  Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't build trucks!

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Coming together nicely. For the issue of painting the chassis and lower radiator area I'd say choose the correct colour of accumulated dirt and dust then go with that ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

Fantastic work Jeroen :worthy:

How will the engine be visible when the truck is built?  Is the cab hinged?  Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't build trucks!

Cheers

Thanks Cliff, no worries. In this kit, the cab is normally fixed so the engine is not visible. Which is a good thing if you build this kit OOB, because there's actually nothing at all to see. For this project, I tried to hinge the cab but only partially succeeded, it does not open really far. I'm solving that by keeping the cab removable like it is now, just resting on the hinges at the front and the cab support at the back. I think it will be fine as long as you don't take speed bumps too fast 😉 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Coming together nicely. For the issue of painting the chassis and lower radiator area I'd say choose the correct colour of accumulated dirt and dust then go with that ;) 

Sounds like a plan 🙂 

I don't know yet if I'm going for a clean look or not. Probably depends on having the time or not. For the parts I can't reach with the airbrush, I'll just stick a brush in there and see what happens. It's not an area which will be very visible anyway. 

A little more action on the engine's right side. Some canisters and small pipes. Took me long enough. 

20200402211454-77294abf-me.jpg

Still have to figure out what to do with the other side of the pipes though, they're not actually going anywhere yet. Oh and I made the oil sump, it was still missing since I took the original off. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Col. said:

More good progress Jeroen :) 

I need progress, badly 🙂  .... 5 weeks and counting! Still a lot to do 🙄

Nothing like a bit of pressure to really get going 🙂 

• Haha 1

OK I'm calling this side of the engine done. Of course, the air intake will still need to be mounted. 

20200404111500-800b240a-me.jpg

It looks busy enough, so I'm moving on to the other side. You can see the thing I'm always struggling with, and in this case haven't figured out yet: where do all these pipes and wires and hoses go??? Reference photo's are almost never good enough for that. Sure you see a lot of stuff sneaking around the engine, and most of the time you can see one end, but where does it all end up? I can waste hours trying to figure it out.... I can accept the fact that all this only vaguely has to resemble the real thing but for me it's hard to just glue the other end somewhere on the engine, although that's probably what I'll end up doing anyway... :think:

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Potverdorie! @JeroenS :rofl:, this is a trucking master class (said very carefully)

Well, maybe a masterclass at beginner level, but that's as far as I'll go 😉 

By the way @Hockeyboy76, Dutch roots? Or a clever use of Google translate? 🙂 

21 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Well, maybe a masterclass at beginner level, but that's as far as I'll go 😉 

By the way @Hockeyboy76, Dutch roots? Or a clever use of Google translate? 🙂 

Was based in AFCENT down in Brunssum 1997-2000, working with plenty of Dutch,Belgium, German and Italians. I tried learning the language, but for some reason they only wanted to help me learn certain phrases.  Klootzak is another favourite. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

I tried learning the language, but for some reason they only wanted to help me learn certain phrases.  Klootzak is another favourite. 

Hahaha, it's a start isn't it

• Haha 1

Fair warning: if, unlike me, you know your way around an engine you should probably look away now. I got creative on the subject of "where on earth do all the pipes end up?". I made a thingy, drilled some random holes; the end result makes no sense in 1:1 scale but there's something to look at and that's the main goal. Anyway I'm calling done on the engine, phew that was quite a bit of work but rather fun too. "My" engine is a mix of reference pics of different types of Volvo engines, mostly TD120F, with a healthy dose of imagination thrown in. This is as far as my skills go I'm afraid. Still, I'm quite happy with it and I'm taking a lot of experience away from this little project. 

Just for fun, let's do a "before" shot first. This is what Heller gives you: 

20200202192749-cc3dc67e-me.jpg

I don't have an OOB photo of the other side but this is it after I I cut off all offending bits (which were rare to begin with): 

20200202192756-16719559-me.jpg

And now we have this: 

20200404154435-bcdfc8a5-me.jpg

20200404154436-967ca292-me.jpg

I could keep on adding hoses and wires and stuff but you have to stop somewhere. There's more work to be done. 

Now, it's going back into the chassis so I can fit the pipes leading to and from the intercooler, which I have ready for this. I'll glue them in place on the engine side only so I can still take the engine out. That might come in handy for painting. The exhaust is the final bit, I still need to fit a length of pipe leading away from the engine under the chassis to where those nice diesel fumes (ahem) are finally released into the air we breathe 🙂 

• Like 5