Volvo F12-20 and (absolutely no) logging trailer in 1/32

JeroenS

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

wow I'm actually learning a lot about truck chassis....though not 100% sure I know what I'm going to do with this new found knowledge! 

I agree, it's not a good opening line 😉 

• Haha 2

So, I started out this morning with the idea of having a go at the engine. You know, that sad looking blob of plastic which I already severely mutilated to a flat shell. Soon, however, I found that the engine must wait and that the cab needs proper mounting first. Why? Well, because the engine's air intake is attached to the back of the cab. It's therefor quite imperative that the cab's position is determined first. I can then use the air intake to determine the engine's position in the chassis. The air intake consists of the snorkel type thing on the back of the cab, and a lower part on which the snorkel sits. The lower part then leads to the engine. 

I removed some parts from my jig because they would no longer fit and fixed the chassis in place. I cut off the forward mounting point of the kit's chassis and glued it on my chassis to have a starting point. 

20200223080952-c9342aec-me.jpg

20200223080953-92d61885-me.jpg

And this is that starting point. The horizontal position is good, but I want the cab to sit a little higher. I mean come on, this is heavy duty log hauling we're talking about. Also, to not be too easy on myself, I've decided that I want the cab to be able to tilt forward, showing the engine. Which means I've also committed myself to actually make something of the engine. Dammit. 

Anyway, today's goal is set: a mounted cab! Best get cracking. 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Looking at this, you'd think it's 1/24. I have a few 1/32 trucks, no Volvos, that need the same attention. Wait I have the Ertl Volvo N10 someplace. Thought about selling them but may keep them.

I think 1/32 is actually a nice scale for trucks, still large enough to have at some good detailing, but the end result takes up way less space. 

20200223083745-41b4c262-me.jpg

Just sayin' 🙂 

That's a T143 cab (well, you would know), and it's still even without the huge bonnet. I wouldn't mind more 1/32 trucks but they seem rare and mostly snap tites. Only Aoshima have a large range but these are mostly the Japanese over the top looking contraptions and I don't like them. Still, there are some decent looking ones in their range. So maybe.... I do like 1/35 scale trucks though, there's a huge offering in that scale. Speaking of taking up space, I have Revell's Bussing and Krupp Titan still to build so I really shouldn't complain about 1/24 scale 😋

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

...Also, to not be too easy on myself, I've decided that I want the cab to be able to tilt forward, showing the engine. Which means I've also committed myself to actually make something of the engine. Dammit.

Yikes! Sounds as if you've just doubled your workload for this project.

16 minutes ago, Col. said:

Yikes! Sounds as if you've just doubled your workload for this project.

Well, still 2 months to go... And I'm using the trailer as "balance". If the end result is a nice looking truck without the trailer I'd be happy. To be honest, the trailer isn't going to make it to the display shelves anyway. 

• Like 1

Almost made it 🙂 ... I spent quite a lot of time thinking about why, how and what. The mount to support the cab at the back is finished. Amazing how long it takes to "design" and build such a thing, as opposed to cutting some parts off the sprues and glueing them together. But, it's certainly satisfying. 

20200223204708-add80185-me.jpg

Quite a few parts, this thing has. The square center piece will serve as a platform for the suzie cables. 

20200223204708-7c379973-me.jpg

The "springs" are 0.4 mm lead wire. The tricky part, apart from making all these parts and fitting them, was to calculate the exact height I needed. I'm happy it turned out square and true. A couple of bolts will be added here and there. 

On the front of the cab, I've started on the hinge mechanism. 

20200223204709-af2f4454-me.jpg

What I need to do now is make the part of the hinge that is to be fitted to the chassis. Also, the front of the cab needs to be lifted 2 mm, and I intend to do that with the hinges. I think the whole thing needs a bit of wiggle room to be able to tilt the cab far enough. A bit of pondering is needed, so that's the reason I'm not going ahead now and mess things up. Live to fight another day!

• Like 12

After this much trial and error

20200224205749-34662648-sm.jpg

I was able to finalize a "design" for the cab hinges. And here they are: 

20200224205749-f9c1c986-me.jpg

In the end, I took a 4.8 mm square strip and using the round file I made a groove which would fit the rod I attached to the bottom of the cab. Then I marked the 3 mm height I needed and cut a recess in the square strip so that it would rest on the front of the chassis. When I was happy with the height I cut the strip in half, lengthwise, to make 2 identical "hinges" for the cab to rest on. 

20200224205750-83b28bbe-me.jpg

The fiddly bit was to get everything lined up correctly and glued in place. But it worked out and the cab sits perfectly. 

20200224205751-dd6f2b73-me.jpg

The tilt itself is not yet very impressive so the hinges need some work, they need to be a little less bulky at the front. Should be possible, and the angle will improve enough I think. 

20200224205750-f1ca5ae3-me.jpg

It doesn't have to be a full blown tilt, just enough to show some of the insides. The engine will probably not be a masterpiece of engineering anyway. 

• Like 11

42 minutes ago, srkirad said:

Jeroen, if you only made duplicates of all of these scratchbuilt parts,

Duplicates... hm, well, it already takes me long enough to make the originals 🙂 ... I'll never make the GB deadline if I start making everything twice 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Duplicates... hm, well, it already takes me long enough to make the originals 🙂 ... I'll never make the GB deadline if I start making everything twice 😋

No no, of course not, you just maybe missunderstood me - I thought if you hypotheticaly did make two sets, one set could be forwarded to Heller to maket brand new mould of it - that's how well you did all of this work so far ;)

15 minutes ago, srkirad said:

No no, of course not, you just maybe missunderstood me - I thought if you hypotheticaly did make two sets, one set could be forwarded to Heller to maket brand new mould of it - that's how well you did all of this work so far ;)

No, I understood, no worries! My reply apparently did not fully show that 🙂

• Like 1

OK so let's see about that engine. I had to fix the air intake first, to be able to establish the correct position of the engine. The intake was cut to size and dry fitted. 

20200229124859-dd7e5b80-me.jpg

Earlier, I got medieval on the engine and cut off just about every protruding bit so I was left with a sorry looking bit of plastic.

20200202192756-16719559-me.jpg

Same for the other side. 

20200202192756-f6c2eb28-me.jpg

Together with the engine halves, this piece was all I was going to use.

20200229124858-053e8b7d-me.jpg

The part at the bottom right connects to the air intake. Unfortunately, the rest of the part is unusable if you wish to have a top view of the engine. So let's try to make the part a little more realistic while we're at it. 

20200229124858-d56f39e2-me.jpg

On the engine itself I started plugging holes to create a base to add bits and pieces to. 

20200229124857-2db7c668-me.jpg

20200229124859-9e6143ee-me.jpg

The oil sump, radiator and various pipes, wires etc will need to be built and added. I don't know if it will end up looking anything like the actual engine, but it will look better than what the kit provided for sure! But first I need to get a fix on its position and create mounting points on both chassis and engine. 

• Like 9

• JeroenS changed the title to Volvo F12-20 and (probably no) logging trailer in 1/32

Well, with quite a bit of fiddling I managed to get the engine in the correct place. I glued the air intake parts of engine and cab together with a piece of doublesided tape. On the finished model, these two parts should not be joined otherwise the cab cannot tilt. Must remember! 

Using the join I was able to get the engine roughly in position, and then I updated my jig to hold the engine and fine tune its position. The engine is now held in place by three supports. Front, back and under the air intake leading into the engine.

20200229190424-d11dc6ca-me.jpg

To do: the "drum" needs to be moved a little bit to the right.

20200229190424-d70bd124-me.jpg

Thanks to the jig I know the position the intake should be in so it should not be too much trouble. I'm going to create mounts first.

• Like 10

Sometimes I wonder where time goes. I just spent two hours on 4 engine supports.... And they look so simple. 

20200303205409-3477edb1-me.jpg

They have a little backplate to which some bolt heads will be added. Man, that will be two fantastic evenings... One evening punching bolt heads and one evening glueing them all over the chassis. At least I hope two evenings will do it. 

20200303205926-09e48477-me.jpg

Earlier, I corrected the position of the "drum" (for lack of a better word). 

20200303205408-4144ee0b-me.jpg

And I decreased the angle on the engine. Still nose high, but it was a bit extreme at first. The driveshaft now just fits beneath the crossmember on the left. 

20200303205407-64f09dd1-me.jpg

I can now fit the mounts on the engine itself so it rests on the supports and I can remove the jig. Also, there should be a crossmember under the transmission. 

• Like 7

Really love that jig, you really couldn't do the job without it!

Don't worry, I spent over 3 hours the other day fitting 12 wee chains to my boat. I was already to give up after the 3rd one!

• Like 1