Volvo F12-20 and (absolutely no) logging trailer in 1/32

JeroenS

I don't usually check the group builds section, but when the call for "vehicle builders wanted" came, down the street in the vehicle section, I thought why not? I have a WIP going for a Scania T143 but it's way past 25% so I had to find something else. There was nothing in the stash that qualified, soooo that's always a good reason for a nice shopping session isn't it 🙂 

I've been doing some smaller (1/35) scale trucks lately and I rather like the size of those trucks. Not too big but still a lot of detail. So I went for this Volvo F12-20 with the logging trailer in 1/32. I do like a nice '80's truck!

20200203151623-a2c88e2b.jpg

It doesn't have that many parts but there's room for some detailing of engine and chassis which I intend to do. Should be enough time in this GB for that. I haven't decided on the colour yet but I actually like the yellow so I might just go for that. 

Something I had to laugh about when I opened the box was this: 

20200202192748-097b6e9f.jpg

The kit comes with 1/32 scale logs! Some nice branches were selected, dried and cut by some poor intern I guess... 

Then, while I was going through the box, another chuckle... 

20200202192748-6f07b974-sm.jpg

Sadly there's no decal for a box of tissues... 

Anyway, this will be my first GB so I'm looking forward to it!

• Like 7
  • Haha 16

welcome along an d with an awesome truck with some "fitting extras"! :D

It's alway nice to see builds other than the usual aircraft in GB's. When someone else posted a picture of the included logs I thought it was just some extra they added....but real wood.

If need be I'm sure a box of tissues could be scratch built.......... I won't go any further! :whistle:

Good luck with the build, this will be a great one to follow.

Plus it's ok to have a thread here for the other build even though it's over the 25% rule, you just can't put it in the gallery when done, but by all means show the build.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dansk said:

Super fun build 😎

It’s left hand drive, will you put nordic plates on it? 🇩🇰🇫🇮🇸🇪🇳🇴🇮🇸🇬🇱🇫🇴🇦🇽

Yes, I will use the Swedish plates. I've been to Sweden and I never saw so many trees in my life so I think it will be fitting. Also, I'm thinking to complement the yellow with blue (instead of red of the box art) to get this whole Ikea theme going 😉 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Yes, I will use the Swedish plates. I've been to Sweden and I never saw so many trees in my life so I think it will be fitting. Also, I'm thinking to complement the yellow with blue (instead of red of the box art) to get this whole Ikea theme going 😉 

cool sounds good.

can I suggest you put massive spot lights on? 

The majority of Swedish vehicles have them. All vehicles have them in rural areas (which is most of Sweden) for the unlit roads at night and dark winter days 

3443720840_4023058f1d_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

YesYesYes!!!!!  Here in Greece too...on the the top of the cab and down near the bumper...

Well, I don't usually build in this scale so I had no stash of parts whatsoever but I found some nice aftermarket stuff which is now on its way!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Can't have too many headlights on a Volvo truck!

Indeed! What I bought is more of the modern type (they didn't give me that much of a choice) but we'll see how it looks. Maybe a stray log fel on the old lights and they had to mount new ones 🙂 

• Haha 3

My aftermarket stuff arrived yesterday: 

20200202192748-468a37c7-sm.jpg

I should be able to do something with this. I'm currently finishing my Hanomag and I think I'll be able to make a start on the Volvo today. We had plans for this morning but they got cancelled :wicked:

• Like 5

Soooo... tonight I took all the sprues out of the plastic bags and started with a good look around. First impression: it's a toy instead of a model kit! OK, I wasn't expecting MiniArt engineering, because only MiniArt can pull that off. But this is rather at the other end of the spectrum and I must say I'm a little but put off by it. It's a good thing this GB lasts until May because I think I'll be needing the time to make something of this one. I'm going to have a good long think about how I'm going to go ahead with this build. Option 1 is going with the toy-like look and expand on it, option 2 is put in a serious effort to turn it into something more presentable. 

Let's see what we have folks!

I've started with the truck itself. The chassis is largely made up out of a single piece: 

20200202192749-e28d2b85-la.jpg 

It's straight and has no warps in it. It sort of looks like a chassis from a distance of 3 feet. That's it. Look at those huge attachment points! 

The front axle assembly: 

20200202192749-a4c26bb3-sm.jpg

I've looked on the box for the "For ages 3 and up" sign but it isn't there!

Are these supposed to be leaf springs? 

20200202192749-c33f463b-sm.jpg

No detail at all!

This is (supposed to be) the engine:

20200202192749-cc3dc67e-sm.jpg

My neighbour's two year old could probably Play-Doh a better one. 

The only thing so far that I'm happy with is the cab itself. 

20200202192750-60a7b6ae-sm.jpg

At least here they made an effort. 

20200202192750-82b7c48b-sm.jpg 

But. If you look at the box art, and the instructions: 

20200202192751-09a8bb45-sm.jpg

Hmmm... that looks suspiciously like a low roof to me... But what do we get?

20200202192750-c7cfb20f-la.jpg

A high roof! A totally different "look-and-feel"! 

Now where did I put my box of styrene?

• Like 9

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

you're right with it being pretty basic and toy like, a bit of scratchbuilding will make a world of difference.

Same goes with using the high roof option.

Yep, well I've always wanted to scratchbuild a chassis so looks like this is my chance. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Christer A said:

You got the Globetrotter upgraded cab!

Nice!

Yessss but I like the low roof 😭.... So I'll go ahead and try to scratchbuild one, and see the difference. On the other hand, the high roof does give that extra bit of space for a nice Ikea interior... A Billy should fit nicely hahaha... 

29 minutes ago, Christer A said:

But to call that an engine, (well you have the radiator, engine and gearbox!) is some kind of joke, right?

Good luck with those parts anyway...

The engine is truly awful... I mean you can put the chassis together, mount the cab and it will look like a pretty decent truck if you don't look too closely. But I think that's no excuse to think this aberration would suffice as an engine. Probably that same intern who cut the logs designed the engine during lunch.

But OK, I like a challenge. I'm not an expert scratchbuilder but I'm confident that whatever I can come up with is better than this. Which will make it a unique little truck and that's fine by me. 

• Like 3

you'll be surprised what you can turn out with some bit of plastic rod and strip! 

gosh anything would be better than "that engine". I think the intern went to work for trumpeter after that, I send some stuff from them that looks very similar! :D 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Yessss but I like the low roof 😭.... So I'll go ahead and try to scratchbuild one, and see the difference. On the other hand, the high roof does give that extra bit of space for a nice Ikea interior... A Billy should fit nicely hahaha...

I'm trully satsified with my recently bought (and assembled) Billy/Oxberg combination!

It's the main reason why now I build ALL the kits from stash - I finally have space for newly built kits :D (Enzo gotta be proud of statements like this) ;D

This kit looks like a truck at least, so don't be desperate, you'll make it good with some (more) scratchuild :)

What are the wheels and tires like? Do they have some realistics in them?

Keeping fingers crossed for this build - at the moment I am finishing two kits in KUTA so in few days I will finally join you all with my McLaren (for which I am gathering some ideas about painting carbon fiber parts).

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2