Airliner Scrapping Vid

tomprobert

An interesting video of the scrapping of two A340-600s - a sad end for such graceful machines but well worth a watch:

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Hope you don't teach English Tom.

Ha! I do actually - and I'm always lecturing my pupils about proof-reading too! Corrected now...

• Like 1

Airbus themselves undertook a research programme to establish how to maximise recycling of aircraft structures and components under the acronym PAMELA.  I don’t know what the outcome was, although a recovery rate of better than 95% was mentioned IIRC, or how the widespread adoption of carbon fibre primary structure will affect this. I wonder if Boeing will have to undertake a similar exercise if the 737 MAX 8 grounding becomes permanent........

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Hope they don't go and do a Valiant once they're all withdrawn and end up with like one left before realising maybe someone might want one for a museum...

At present Planespotters don net shows six of the 400-odd A340s built as “preserved”, including what I believe is the prototype (sorry, forgot to note her MSN).  What really annoys and saddens me is that no one thought to save the prototype A300: it’s not that there was no room for her at Toulouse either.  That aeroplane begat a product range that’s clocked up nearly fifty years and fifteen thousand airframes, plus God-alone-knows-how-many jobs from a standing start and without the benefit of huge orders from military operators to help bankroll the operation?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, stever219 said:

At present Planespotters don net shows six of the 400-odd A340s built as “preserved”, including what I believe is the prototype (sorry, forgot to note her MSN).  What really annoys and saddens me is that no one thought to save the prototype A300: it’s not that there was no room for her at Toulouse either.  That aeroplane begat a product range that’s clocked up nearly fifty years and fifteen thousand airframes, plus God-alone-knows-how-many jobs from a standing start and without the benefit of huge orders from military operators to help bankroll the operation?

Ahhh yes the prototype is preserved I forgot that one haha, well seems the A340 has a good retirement ahead of it. 

Thought the prototype a300 was saved.... Seems I was wrong. Shame how much history is just thrown away like it doesn't matter. 

16 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Ahhh yes the prototype is preserved I forgot that one haha, well seems the A340 has a good retirement ahead of it. 

Thought the prototype a300 was saved.... Seems I was wrong. Shame how much history is just thrown away like it doesn't matter. 

Don't get me started!  TSR. 2, Canberra, VC-10, Spitfire, Hurricane, Lancaster, Ninrod, Comet, Tornado ADV, none of those prototypes survive, nor many others.

2 hours ago, stever219 said:

Don't get me started!  TSR. 2, Canberra, VC-10, Spitfire, Hurricane, Lancaster, Ninrod, Comet, Tornado ADV, none of those prototypes survive, nor many others.

Mmm yes, we have multiple replicas of the Spitfire one of course. All the TSR2s were development and prototype aircraft as well. 

Wish they'd saved the second prototypes of each v bomber, the first ones all crashed, but it should have been done...

6 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Very sad to watch,the A340's the best looking Airbus but at least it isn't a 747 that really would've bought tears to my eyes...

Not that worried about 747s, or most Boeings for that matter, but among the big jets Airbuses,  TriStars and even DC-10s much more so.

7 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Not that worried about 747s, or most Boeings for that matter, but among the big jets Airbuses,  TriStars and even DC-10s much more so.

I'm the other way around,i'm a Boeing fan and as you say Tristar's and DC-10's (Lockheed and McDonnell Douglas in general)..The only AB's that i like are the A300/310 and the A340....

6 hours ago, stever219 said:

You forgot the Avro Canada CF-105 also

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I saw these two airframes many times at Shanghai Pudong airport over the years in happier times.  Interesting that Chinese airliners from a State Airline end up at a former Soviet Air Base in Germany being cut up

• 9 months later...
On 1/15/2020 at 5:20 PM, Britman said:

I think the second A300 still exists. Not quite THE first I know.

Keith

The first A300 was a B1 and was scrapped in the early 70s. 

The second A300 was also a B1 but differed from the first in having a third door each side and entered service as OO-TEF. Laurent tried to mount a campaign to save it at the end if it’s career but it was sadly scrapped. 

The third A300 was the slightly longer B2 which became the first production model and still exists with Novaspace as far as I know.  

• Like 1

On 13/01/2020 at 19:32, stever219 said:

Airbus themselves undertook a research programme to establish how to maximise recycling of aircraft structures and components under the acronym PAMELA.  I don’t know what the outcome was, although a recovery rate of better than 95% was mentioned IIRC, or how the widespread adoption of carbon fibre primary structure will affect this. I wonder if Boeing will have to undertake a similar exercise if the 737 MAX 8 grounding becomes permanent........

The current industry practice with carbon is to chuck it in a bin once it has reached is useful life. 

I've had several people call me out on this and refer to some small scale studies that Airbus proudly showed off showing how they could "recycle" carbon.

Currently scrap carbon parts are binned.

Pyrolysis can be used to remove the resin, but all you end up with is loads of short strands of carbon fibre, which is only as useful as the sort of spray fibre glass that small boats are made out of. So it's a lot of time, money and energy invested in getting a product that's not particularly useful.

As you say, metal aircraft are incredibly recycle-able. In time, I imagine it will become more common to recycle carbon, as requirements increase and methods improve. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/22/2020 at 7:12 PM, Vince1159 said:

I know this shouldn't be here because it's not an airliner but it's still heartbreaking to watch....

Can’t say I’m sorry to see a Boeing being pulverised after the way they treated the 3 VC-10s that were traded in for 747s (smashed to pieces on the apron in front of the people who’d flown, maintained and provisioned them).

• Like 2