Where did those kits come from

AltcarBoB

A really great subject!

To my mind the entire family of WW2 Italian Reggiane fighters fits in this category, and the recent Sword six-kit special release (contains [2] Re.2000, Re.2001, [2] Re.2002, and Re.2005) would be a natural. Nice kits, too.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MDriskill said:

A really great subject!

To my mind the entire family of WW2 Italian Reggiane fighters fits in this category, and the recent Sword six-kit special release (contains [2] Re.2000, Re.2001, [2] Re.2002, and Re.2005) would be a natural. Nice kits, too.

It is a great package and the 2000s in particular are nice. For the 2005 however my favourite is the RS Models kit, more recent and better in every aspect, one of the best short runs I've ever built, Of course this is a bit OT as the Re.2005 does not really fit into the cathegory here.

My interpretation of the OP’s notes would be that the Re.2005 fits pretty well, LOL. Good performer, but never a mainstreamer.

But regardless...thanks for mentioning RS! That reminds me of some other WW2 “I coulda been a contender’s” they make:

+ Caudron C.714, epitome of elegant futility (and a really nice kit with much nice aftermarket bits from Yahu)

+ SAI 207, the Italian “light fighter” equivalent

+ SAI 403, the 207’s successor

+ De Schelde S-21, can’t get much odder than that

+ French Bloch 152, mass-produced toad

+ Bloch 155, excellent but too late successor

+ Fokker D.XXIII, push me-pull you

+ Kawasaki Ki-60, heavy fighter prototype

And how about the Azur Koolhoven FK.58, Dutch-French-whatever mistif.

Edited by MDriskill

On 1/13/2020 at 8:29 AM, dogsbody said:

If you stray away from Europe, there is the CC&F Goblin.

a.k.a., the Grumman FF, the first carrier fighter with retractable landing gear.

Another possibility is the Grumman F2F; while Grumman only buiilt 55 F2F-1s, it was in service from '35 to '40.

The Loening M-8 was a monoplane WW1 aircraft; 55 were built.

Edited by dnl42
goofy browser

On 1/28/2020 at 10:04 AM, Giorgio N said:

It is a great package and the 2000s in particular are nice. For the 2005 however my favourite is the RS Models kit, more recent and better in every aspect, one of the best short runs I've ever built, Of course this is a bit OT as the Re.2005 does not really fit into the cathegory here.

Has there ever been a good (i.e. correct not-identical wingspan) MC.202 or 205 that you know of?

I can verify that; Italeri's 1/72 Folgore and Veltro do have the asymmetrical wings.  

After some old fashioned measuring I think they do NOT have the asymmetrical wings..

I found the canopy somewhat challenging to get right. Also, the wheel wells are shallow and simplified; normally you'd be able to see quite deep into the fuselage.

Edited by Luka
new observations
  • Like 1

Both the Hasegawa MC.202 and Italeri 202/205 have asymmetrical wings, so no problems here.

The problem is that none correctly reproduces the shape of the "hump" behind the cockpit and both kits are a bit short in the rear fuselage. The fuselage error is the same as both kits here are identical..  Misterkit from Italy offers a correction set that includes a new fuselage and many details in resin and PE. Their fuselage has the right shape of the hump but still lacks some length

This means that if for good we mean a kit that correctly shows the asymmetrical wings yes there are two. But if we mean an accurate kit, there's none. Of the two I prefer the Hasegawa kit (today available from Hobby 2000) because fits much better and is much better moulded. The Italeri kit on the other hand features more detail in the cockpit and some idea of detail in the wheel wells but falls short in quality of the mould.

On 23/01/2020 at 23:42, JWM said:

Much better is P50 (resin) by Ardpol, though this company vanished from market.

Here was nice build of Ardpol

cheers

J-W

I wish I had got hold of the Ardpol kit. I am having a nightmare with the Akkura kit, I really believe I could have done better scratchbuilding the fuselage. So far I have scratchbuilt wheel wells, wheel well covers, a new cockpit rear fairing and reshaped the fuselage from the firewall to the cowling. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Both the Hasegawa MC.202 and Italeri 202/205 have asymmetrical wings, so no problems here.

The problem is that none correctly reproduces the shape of the "hump" behind the cockpit and both kits are a bit short in the rear fuselage. The fuselage error is the same as both kits here are identical..  Misterkit from Italy offers a correction set that includes a new fuselage and many details in resin and PE. Their fuselage has the right shape of the hump but still lacks some length

This means that if for good we mean a kit that correctly shows the asymmetrical wings yes there are two. But if we mean an accurate kit, there's none. Of the two I prefer the Hasegawa kit (today available from Hobby 2000) because fits much better and is much better moulded. The Italeri kit on the other hand features more detail in the cockpit and some idea of detail in the wheel wells but falls short in quality of the mould.

Do you think the Hobbyboss Saetta would have a good fuselage? I know its wings are not asymmetrical, but I don't know enough about Macchi 200-series considering fuselage differences.

2 hours ago, AltcarBoB said:

I wish I had got hold of the Ardpol kit. I am having a nightmare with the Akkura kit, I really believe I could have done better scratchbuilding the fuselage. So far I have scratchbuilt wheel wells, wheel well covers, a new cockpit rear fairing and reshaped the fuselage from the firewall to the cowling. 

Oof, the Akkura kit looks like something that got rejected by Pixar. Broplan had a vac kit, which would be passable. But I don't know if they are even still in business.
As for the Ardpol kit; I saw for an instant after its release on the site of my LHS, but that was sold out in no-time..

• Like 1

Pixar reject I love it 🤣

I should stick some eyes on the windscreen and a mouth under the cowling and be done with it. However I will continue filling, sanding and polishing and hopefully I can get to something that looks like it can fly rather than waddle.

1 hour ago, AltcarBoB said:

Pixar reject I love it 🤣

I should stick some eyes on the windscreen and a mouth under the cowling and be done with it. 

Well, there's always the SabreModels 'Angry Phoenix' :P

20 hours ago, Luka said:

Do you think the Hobbyboss Saetta would have a good fuselage? I know its wings are not asymmetrical, but I don't know enough about Macchi 200-series considering fuselage differences.

I haven't looked at the Hobbyboss MC.200 in detail yet, even if I've had the kit for a while now (bought it almost immediately). I will compare to Brioschi's drawing in the Ali d'Italia series. His drawings were generally very accurate.

In any case the HB kit with all its simplified and incorrect features remains the best available option for an MC.200 in this scale. Maybe one day some company will issue a series of nice and accurate Macchi fighters...

On 2/1/2020 at 2:45 AM, MDriskill said:

My interpretation of the OP’s notes would be that the Re.2005 fits pretty well, LOL. Good performer, but never a mainstreamer.

But regardless...thanks for mentioning RS! That reminds me of some other WW2 “I coulda been a contender’s” they make:

+ Caudron C.714, epitome of elegant futility (and a really nice kit with much nice aftermarket bits from Yahu)

+ SAI 207, the Italian “light fighter” equivalent

+ SAI 403, the 207’s successor

+ De Schelde S-21, can’t get much odder than that

+ French Bloch 152, mass-produced toad

+ Bloch 155, excellent but too late successor

+ Fokker D.XXIII, push me-pull you

+ Kawasaki Ki-60, heavy fighter prototype

And how about the Azur Koolhoven FK.58, Dutch-French-whatever mistif.

I built this kit and it is IMHO quite nice. Still a short run but quite good and not too difficult to build. The worst part was to fit the cockpit in place as the location is not very clear and there isn't much support moulded in the fuselage halves. Maybe it was just me though.

Gun barrels are really better replaced, the structure behind the pilot needs some work and the landing gear legs are a bit crude and soft in detail. And of course some of the PE parts are a bit fiddly... overall however it's nice kit that most modellers with some experience would be able to build with no drama and looks good when completed