Where did those kits come from

AltcarBoB

Oops I appear to have the start of a stash, isnt eBay a terrible thing 😂

I have always been fascinated by the almost made its, the never weres, the back of an envelopes and the could have been a contenders. I am planning to build 1/72 models of fighters of the 2nd Division European powers. So far I have a Danish Fokker DXXI, Czech Avia B35, Yugoslavian Rozogarski IK3 and I have on order a Polish Pzl 50 and a Dutch Koolhoven FK58. I am looking for a Romanian IAR 81, a Hungarian MAVAG Heja II, Bulgarian Avia B135 and a Swedish FFVS J22. All were built in the 10s or 100s and none of them had the chance to be a real success lacking the best most powerful engines or were overtaken by events

49378426293_f915b8fa15_c.jpgIMG_20200113_122817999 by Stuart, on Flickr

Edited by AltcarBoB
Got Bulgaria and Czechoslovakia mixed up
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I like relative obscurities too.  Some of them are badly flawed but interesting anyway, sometimes because of the flaws. Others are really good pieces of design which did not come into the limelight purely because the circumstances for their fame didn't arise.

The Fokker D.XXI was a really good aircraft, acquitted itself with great honour in the Winter War (but most people in western Europe and the USA don't know anything much about the Winter War) and did surprisingly well later against the Luftwaffe.

Another favourite of mine which would fit well into your emerging theme is the FFVS J22 which Marivox kitted in 1/72.

133083-40462-81-1080.jpg

• Like 3

Mavag Heja ll :- Special Hobby SH 72110 ,  AZ  A7005  (these may be same tool)

IAR -81 :-            A-Model 72169

Good luck with your search.

Wulfman

Edited by Wulfman
Adjust
  • Like 1

You have a very interesting plan ! The aircraft you have in mind may not be well known for a reason or the other but are intriguing subjects, hope you'll show your completed model here.

The IAR-81 is available from AModel, a short run that while not as easy to build as say Special Hobby, can be made with some attention into a great model. I built their IAR-80 and apart from a couple of areas that needed attention, it was a surprisingly enjoyable build. Surface detail on this kit is very realistic and detail is pretty good too.

The Heja II was made available by Special Hobby when they made a series of kits of the Re.2000, IIRC a relatively easy build, at least as short runs go.

I also built the SH FK.58, again a nice enough build, I only struggled a bit in attaching the cockpit as the location is not really well marked. Once this was sorted, it was easy enough.. although the model then languished painted on the shelf of doom til late last year...

For some reason I've yet to buy the MPM Fokker D,XXI, it's an aircraft I've always been fascinated with but only built the old PM kit to date,.. and I'm sure the MPM offering is much better

How about the rare MPM Fokker T-8W  (1:72) for instance?

A small number were flown to England, where they formed the basis of 320 (Dutch) Sqn.

Just like some French a/c, the T-8Ws continued to be built albeit in smaller numbers to provide the Luftwaffe with extra capabilties or training aircraft.

40 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

How about the rare MPM Fokker T-8W  (1:72) for instance?

A small number were flown to England, where they formed the basis of 320 (Dutch) Sqn.

Just like some French a/c, the T-8Ws continued to be built albeit in smaller numbers to provide the Luftwaffe with extra capabilties or training aircraft.

I've got this one:

49379928172_5ff4f52758_c.jpg

Plus I have some unknown resin T.8 in the stash.

Chris

• Like 1

Some more suggestions:-

PZL P.24,          IBG 72524 , used by Greece, Bulgaria, Rumania and Turkey.

Fokker G.1,       MPM 72034/72123, twin engine heavy fighter used by Holland against Luftwaffe.

Curtiss CW-21 MPM 72073, Kora KPK 72043 used by Dutch East Indies Airforce.

Very interesting project.

Wulfman

Edited by Wulfman
Adjusted

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I've got this one:

I see they're going for €80+ nowadays. Ex P&P at 20/25. Ouch :analintruder:

Edited by alt-92
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AltcarBoB said:

isnt eBay a terrible thing 😂

Tell me about it! Wish I'd never discovered it. Thanks to sites like that, online modelling forums and my own total lack of self control, I now have a model shop inside my house 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I am sorry to nitpick but Bulgarians used Avia B.135. The type is similar to B.35, but with retractable undercarriage, straight wing leading edge instead of a curved one. In 1/72 it is produced by RS. Otherwise, how about Finish Myrsky II (Special Hobby) or Swedish SAAB J-21A (Heller and Special Hobby)? Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

Tell me about it! Wish I'd never discovered it. Thanks to sites like that, online modelling forums and my own total lack of self control, I now have a model shop inside my house 😬

I was off work with man flu a bit bored and my paypal account was on fire

2 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

I am sorry to nitpick but Bulgarians used Avia B.135. The type is similar to B.35, but with retractable undercarriage, straight wing leading edge instead of a curved one. In 1/72 it is produced by RS. Otherwise, how about Finish Myrsky II (Special Hobby) or Swedish SAAB J-21A (Heller and Special Hobby)? Cheers

Jure

Your right dont know why I got that mixed up, I am looking for a B135 as well so thats probably how I got it wrong.

Nice little collection of kits/aircraft.  I have always been very fond of the Fokker XXI.  A real story of heroism against unbeatable odds.  The Dutch flew them against the Luftwaffe until they ran out of bullets and then turned them into ramming aircraft.  They are a nice build and always look good on the shelf.

Regarding Ebay...here's a good one I found and dod not buy.  The shipping alone would have pushed it over 100€

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AZ-Model-LET-K-60-BRIGADYR-Military-Version-1-72-Scale-Plastic-Model-Kit-UNBUILT/233395591419?hash=item36577618fb:g:zyoAAOSwTzBdxgOo

2 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Jure

The Avia B.35:  

49381505522_eda2ef6cd3_b.jpg

The Avia B.135:

49380848793_e8c2650e8a_b.jpg

I also have a Myrsky:

49380907983_a4eb98043f_o.jpg

Chris

• Like 3

Arsenal VG.33! Talking about just too late; deliveries had started when France capitulated. It would probably have been a formidable adversary for the 109's. At least if we have to believe its performance in War Thunder. But I digress.
I have the Pegasus kit which looks nice, albeit a bit basic. I can't judge from online pics if the Azur kit is any better, although it does have some PE parts.

On 13/01/2020 at 17:07, Wulfman said:

Curtiss CW-21 MPM 72073, Kora KPK 72043 used by Dutch East Indies Airforce.

The Kora kit is a CW-22 trainer and only looks superficially similar to the CW-21. My initial plan was to reverse-engineer one, but that seemed like a lot of tricky and costly work. Luckily I then found the MPM kit online (not on evilBay though).

• Like 1

P50 Jastrząb existed in a single flyinng prototype  lost likely due to ffriendly fire in 1939 (second not finished). So despite my national feelings it was not important. Of Polish fighters P11 (a&c and maybe g - the latest also single but tok part in fights) , P-7 and P-24 (all much more different than one can tell for a first look at), 

From Czech besides Avia 135 (the 35 was also a sort of not important prototype) also B534 series (if you dig for olders some more like Avia BH33 and B34, Letov 231...) . Romanian Iar 80/81. Yugoslavian Ik 2 and Ik 3. Swedish Saab 22. from Finland Myrsky, Dutch Fokker XXI and G1 (two engines but fighter) and Koolhoven FK 58, Belgium Renard R 31, Denmark Hawker Nimrod II... Do you want also include French and Italian subjects? Hungarian variant of Reggiane 2000 Heja, with smaller diameter engine comparing with original.

If we talk not only about fighters (but still single engined) there are again PZL P23 Karaś and P 43, RWD 14, Lublin RXIII, PWS Mewa, PZL 46 Sum (the latest also single prototype but took part in fights) . Form Czech - Letov 328, Aero A 100 and A 101, maybe Letov 16. Romania - IAR 37,38,39. Yugoslavia - Breguet 19.8 with Wright Cyclone engine.  Bulgaria - Kaproni Bulgarski KB 11 Fazan and DAR-3 Gavron. Dutch Fokkers, lets tell only CV and CX, but the list is longer and Koolhoven FK 51 and 52....

The list is long indeed....

Let me tell you that I am sharing your fascination of those not so obvious for modelling subjects and more of half of above quoted types I did during last 45 years and also  I already presented on RFI (easy to find if you like) . But still many of them are before me...  

I wish all of us a lot interesting builds of those birds on this forum :)

Best regards

J-W

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jeff.K said:

interesting choices. i'm on a parallel track i've been hoarding oddball subjects from CBI theater. 

A Keystone bomber from Philippines, 1941? 

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JWM said:

A Keystone bomber from Philippines, 1941? 

Cheers

J-W

interesting subject but it'll be a while before i get around to it... 

first i need to move house so i have a place to build. 

then, there's a long queue of stuff already in the stash, including a Filipino subject: 1/72 Revell P-26a with a ton of after market goodies which will build up as my best guess for the one flown by Jesus Villamor in combat.

bit of an emphasis on Thai subjects such as the SH 1/72 Hawk III model 68, Hawk H-75, Tachikawa Ki-36 and Spitfire FR XIV, because if i have questions i can eyeball the real ones at the RTAF museum. 

• Like 1

On 20/01/2020 at 02:46, Jeff.K said:

interesting choices. i'm on a parallel track i've been hoarding oddball subjects from CBI theater. 

Interesting not a theatre I know much about. I much prefer the oddball aircraft everyone has a Spitfire, Mustang, 109 etc

44 minutes ago, AltcarBoB said:

Interesting not a theatre I know much about. I much prefer the oddball aircraft everyone has a Spitfire, Mustang, 109 etc

If you want to try something from that theatre that is sure less common, an interesting subject is the Vultee P-66 in Chinese markings. Sword did a kit a few years ago that can still be found with some searching. It is not a locally produced type like the Fokker D.XXI or the Ik-3 but is a rare little known fighters that nonetheless saw some service, although with little success.

5 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

If you want to try something from that theatre that is sure less common, an interesting subject is the Vultee P-66 in Chinese markings. Sword did a kit a few years ago that can still be found with some searching. It is not a locally produced type like the Fokker D.XXI or the Ik-3 but is a rare little known fighters that nonetheless saw some service, although with little success.

There is a lot of interestig species from  so called Second Sino-Japanese war (1937-40), on both sides. On Japan you have a lot of diferent biplanes (mostly available as resin kits by Choroszy) and from Chineese there are Hs-123a, Gladiator, Dewoitine 510, Breda 27, the family of Curtiss Hawks, Breguet 270, Vultee V-11, Curtiss Shrike, Douglas O2M, Caproni 111 and Heinkel He 111a and Russians: SB2, I16, I153, TB3.... Some of them also are on my shelvs (and RFI)

From WWII besides Japanese, Thai, Philippinian, British, American and French types there are also Netherland including for example Fokker CX.

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

lots of interesting Chinese subjects in the 37-45 range. 

i got the CMR Curtiss A-12 Shrike in my stash (comes with Chinese markings, looks as good as their Spitfires), and a Gladiator that i've assigned to Arthur Chin. and a second Hawk H-75 which will get the markings of Claire Chennault's personal hack. 

also stashed are other more mainstream CBI subjects--all the AVG decals i could find, a Singapore Buffalo, a Nate that will be in Thai markings, but these don't fit in with the topic of the thread. 

Edited by Jeff.K
  • Like 1

Got my PZL 50 kit by Akkura. Good job it was cheap because its a pretty crude kit only one sprue and a grand total of 22 parts. Still with a lot of filler and a good paint job it should pass muster. It very much reminds me of when I was a snot nosed brat and the cheap pocket money kits I used to buy from the Post Office that came in a plastic bag with orrible transfers that looked like they were printed on cardboard.

• Like 1