My First Spitfire! Eduard Mk VIII in 1/72 (weekend edition)

Having got back into modelling a few months ago and slowly progressed an old Novo kit of a Gloster Javelin I figured it was time to start a new kit.

As far as I can remember I have never actually built a Spitfire and so, when I was in the model shop getting tape on Friday, and saw the Eduard Spitfire I picked one up.

So far, the detail is just brilliant and the parts all just slot together. The difference from the Javelin could not be greater!

some sprues and the cockpit tub.

49374673878_9f3578c5a7_k.jpg20200111_111739_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

Edited by OutcastJoel
  • Like 6

Thank you! I had forgotten how much I enjoyed this. Thanks also for the heads up. I have already had a few bits where i did end up having to scrape paint back off. 

I was struggling to decide which paint scheme to go for but when I put the decals back in the bag after applying the control panel one, I caught the decal sheet on the adhesive strip...

49375126691_11b87fd94d_k.jpg20200111_111745_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

Decision made, I will be going for the grey scheme which still has its full complement of decals!

Edited by OutcastJoel
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

As far as I can remember I have never actually built a Spitfire

You've never built as Spitfire, as far as you can remember? I'm glad to see you're putting that right, and the Eduard kit is a good place to start.

• Like 2

I suppose it is always possible that I did as a very young kid but I dont think so! 

The main bits are together! I love this kit.

49380625808_f4697b829c_k.jpg20200113_204329_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

In terms of assembly order, should I paint the kit before or after fitting undercarriage?

• Like 5

Just now, OutcastJoel said:

@Adam Poultney it is quite an attractive scheme, I was planning to use Vallejo light grey for the top and a 50/50 light grey and Prussian blue for the underside, does that sound about right?

Sure I haven't really thought about the paints I'll use yet haha

• Like 1

I got it masked it up and got some paint on. I used eduard masks and a makeup sponge.

49391714717_b3b4836de0_k.jpg20200114_124925_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

Half way through painting i remembered to take a shot to show my attempts at preshading.

49391714062_57f77ebe52_k.jpg20200114_142010_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

Paint down ready for gloss coat

49391516596_081bc6a4ba_k.jpg20200115_172310_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

The paint I mixed for the underside looks a little dark to me, however I can't be bothered to do anything about it.

I will ping a shot up in a bit.

• Like 3

There are a crazy number of stencils on this kit and annoyingly the fuel filler one on the nose went on slightly wonky and grabbed like nobodies business. I tried floating it back off with water but it would not budge. In the end I gave up and decided to leave it.

Otherwise I am really happy with the result and it is now ready for final gloss coat before some light weathering.

This has also been my first time using microsol and microset, they are great, you can even see the recessed rivets underneath!

49406510943_ce27be2c93_k.jpg20200119_045120_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

This aircraft didn't have roundels underneath and it does look slightly unfinished as a result imo.

49407190682_253245d116_k.jpg20200119_045147_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 4

Looking really nice. I'm building the same kit at the moment. It's hard to tell because of the bright flash, but I don't thing the underside looks too dark. Most model paints for PRU blue are quite dark - I'm using the Xtracrylix one but I'm going to lighten it.

I'm enjoying the kit but there a few things I'm not keen on. The flaps should be molded with the top half of the wing to give us a sharp trailing edge, I don't know why Eduard insist on doing it split like that still. The other thing was the gear legs attachments and the axles to the wheel fit, both seem to be a wobbly fit ( the bit that I'm most likely to mess up! ), how did you find them?

You may want to change the colour of the crow bar 😉

• Like 1

I ended up with a 50/50 mix of PRU blue and light grey, I need to get some exhaust stains on and then take some outside photos for the RFI, I keep flip flopping on if it is too dark, either way I really like the finished product.

What colour should the crowbar be? I thought they were red. (based on one single photo which from memory might even have been of a model not a real aircraft!)

1 hour ago, OutcastJoel said:

I ended up with a 50/50 mix of PRU blue and light grey, I need to get some exhaust stains on and then take some outside photos for the RFI, I keep flip flopping on if it is too dark, either way I really like the finished product.

What colour should the crowbar be? I thought they were red. (based on one single photo which from memory might even have been of a model not a real aircraft!)

Red crowbars came in sometime post war. In WWII they could be silver/natural metal, or the same green as the cockpit.

VCS-7_mechanics_with_Spitfire_at_Lee-on-

Spitfire-MkVcTrop-RAF-145Sqn-ZXN-BR390-J

22095868-7780397-image-a-50_157606336164

22095880-7780397-image-m-5_1576062306798

WW2-RAF-Spitfire-Cockpit-Crowbar-Air-Min

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1