Avro Rota / Cierva C.30 Autogiro Floatplane

petetasker

Hopefully one that can be answered by the seaplane experts. Back in 1935 Cierva conducted trials with Avro Rota K4296 fitted with twin floats. Peter Brooks book ‘Cierva Autogiros’ describes these as ‘Short S.61 type floats’. I quite fancy giving this one a go. Basically does anyone out there know a kit which features this type of float. Google has brought up a bit of a blank. I’m assuming ‘S.61’ refers to a type of Short float rather than an aeroplane of some sort? Happy to buy a kit just for the floats. Prefer 1/48 or bigger but scale not that important. This will probably be dictated by whatever floats are available.

Thanks in advance

31915393-4FF3-453E-8A6A-79509A97E873

74F576FD-DC92-4388-AC25-11EF3ACD9B59

• Like 3

Yes S 61 will be a Shorts design number. I don't know of a list of Shorts designed floats. (there's one for Edo Floats).   Unfortunately the histories often mention Shorts floats but they seldom ever give any technical details or design numbers. You should be able to work out a reasonable length for the floats from your source (photograph?).  Shorts floats were all a pretty formulaic shape and scaled to suit

The Shorts floats on a Queen Bee are approx 18' long.

John

• Thanks 1

Kora makes (rather crude) resin conversion for Tiger Moth on floats. The floats are some 16'3'' long - see the photos below.

A/Z floats in their Queen Bee kit are 16'10''.

Both in 1/72.

20200113-DSC-0158.jpg

20200113-DSC-0161.jpg

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Julien said:

It would not surprise me if MiniArt did this with their new C.30 kit.

They have done 3 versions on wheels, and now one on skis

Julien

Hi Julien

I’ve bought multiple copies of all of them so far and have the ski version on back order. Knowing my luck and I’m probably completely wrong but somethings telling me they won’t do the float version  - bet they do now! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Patrik said:

Kora makes (rather crude) resin conversion for Tiger Moth on floats. The floats are some 16'3'' long - see the photos below.

A/Z floats in their Queen Bee kit are 16'10''.

Both in 1/72.

20200113-DSC-0158.jpg

20200113-DSC-0161.jpg

Cheers mate I wasn’t aware of this. I’ll look into it - it just might work with a bit of jiggery pokery

9 minutes ago, Patrik said:

They would be too massive for the Rota, I am afraid.

Just been looking at those and yes way too big. Koras Tiger Moth floats are looking like a goer - just need to find some now.

Completely forgot about this one, thanks for reminding me @JWM. I have the Avis DH.60X floatplane boxing in my stash, I suppose the floats would be the same. They are quite nice in fact, just around 16' long.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patrik said:

Completely forgot about this one, thanks for reminding me @JWM. I have the Avis DH.60X floatplane boxing in my stash, I suppose the floats would be the same. They are quite nice in fact, just around 16' long.

Maybe also the Auster by Airfix has the similar set of floats? 

Cheers

J-W

Have finally decided to go with the Aeropoxy DH60/DH82 Float Conversion kit (which I didn’t know existed until I started searching) along with a Pro Model 1/48 C.30, a couple of which I have in the stash - should look about right with a bit of conversion work.

• 1 year later...

Neat start, I was sent an image over the weekend when I told a friend I was building the C.30 but didn't fancy a froggy job but wanted something to sot into my FAA collection.

I too have a set of Auster float as yet unused.

Colin