Aeronautical Pioneer - Hilda Lyon

Mikey-1980

Stumbled across this article whilst sifting through the many free publications I get sent at work. Well worth a 5 minute read on Hilda Lyon. Unsung hero and pioneer of aeronautical engineering and heavily influence the design of the Hawker Hurricane, Airship design and the streamlining of US Naval submarines.

The Engineer - Hilda Lyon

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, an interesting read. Another of the forgotten ladies like Beatrice Shilling who sorted out the Merlin's carburetor fuel problem. (allowing pilots to stick the nose down, instead of having to roll over to dive after the fuel injected engines of the 109's).

John

• Like 3

Thanks for that link @Mikey-1980, it was most interesting. As an aside, I note how 124 years ago, the effects of CO2 as a green house gas were beginning to be recognised, we've been slow learners a bit.  :(

Not taking anything from the memory of Hilda Lyon though, her early death was surely a tragic loss to science.

Steve.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Aero said:

Another of the forgotten ladies like Gertrude Shilling

Close! Gertrude Shilling was a milliner - Beatrice Shilling was the engineer and racing driver. I don't think they were related.

• Like 2

Glad I posted this....it is amazing @stevehnz how the effects of CO2 were seen then and its taken until now to think, hmmmm we need to do something about this....big oil companies keeping it hush hush?

I did find a few posts on Facebook about the female pilots of the RAF are being finally recognised for their efforts, especially some of the Polish pilots too.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2020 at 11:32 PM, John Aero said:

Thank you, an interesting read. Another of the forgotten ladies like Beatrice Shilling who sorted out the Merlin's carburetor fuel problem. (allowing pilots to stick the nose down, instead of having to roll over to dive after the fuel injected engines of the 109's).

John

The Wetherspoons in Farnborough is named the Tilly Shilling after Beatrice. As well as a plaque commemorating her they also have a Spitfire prop on the wall. 

• Like 2