'HMS Eskimo' 1/600

Hello all!

Over the past year or so I have been tootling away with trying to create something from this massively expensive (£4.95) kit.

Before I started, I had had a conversation on another forum with Jeff ( @ArnoldAmbrose) who very kindly gave me some pointers as to how to improve it. At first I thought this kit appeared to be the Airfix HMS Cossack. The parts breakdown was the same, but the runner layout was different. It was supplied with the original stand rather that Airfix’s current style, and I suspect it was a copy. Some of the parts supplied were beyond belief, and I cannot remember them being like that when I built the original Airfix Cossack only 9 years ago. 

The kit needed some help!

·        Propeller shaft supports were lengthened (shafts were not angled downwards)

·        Replaced propellers (from the Manxman – the kit parts were ‘dodgy’)

·        Portholes (scuttles) were sanded down and drilled out (they protruded on the hull!)

·        Fore breakwater was replaced with thin card

·        All deck splinter-shields were replaced with thin card

·        Added ammo boxes, storage lockers and watertight doors to superstructure

·        Added vertical and inclined ladders

·        Replaced masts with soldered brass rod, with plastic rod supports

·        Replaced the ‘crow’s nest’

·        Scratch-built a new torpedo tube assembly

·        Replaced plastic ship’s boats and Carley floats with Shapeways 3D-printed items

·        Added plenty of photo-etch detailing

The model was painted to represent HMS Eskimo as during 1941-43 when she was painted in RN White and Western Approaches Blue (as per Sovereign Hobbies website) using AKAN acrylic paint, and rigged with .02mm Rigging Line by AmmoMIG.

I have deliberately kept the pennant number off, as it is probably a hodge-podge of Tribal Class destroyers, but it was an ideal excuse to use up some of my left-over White Ensign photo-etch. I had a huge bundle of fun building this, it certainly was better than my experiences with MisterCrafts 1/500 HMS Harvester.

49378046578_fd38f208fb_b.jpg

49378699372_c9649830d9_b.jpg

49378700657_f693221a0b_b.jpg

As you may have noticed, drilling scuttles in a straight line is not my strong point! I also think my white balance on the camera has been fooled, the Western Approaches Blue is not that grey on the model. Although I thought the Akan paint was okay, the more I used it the less I liked it. It was brush-painted, but is probably better sprayed. I want to do another kit with a similar scheme then I can try the ColourCoats versions that I have in stock.

49378702042_ece9a197d2_b.jpg

49378504581_82163e7d02_b.jpg

Finally, to show you the quality of the Shapeways ship's boats, here they are (please remember they are under huge magnification!). The whaler's thwarts were hollow underneath, and the cabin was hollow on the cutter. Absolutely incredible, but, oh boy! they were expensive. I also got the Shapeways Carley floats, and they were great too, but there were a LOT of them on the frame so they will come in handy for other projects.

49378704517_d3c3cfce1f_b.jpg

That is it for now, thanks for looking,

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post
  • Like 19

17 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Very neat ..gotta ask a question but how do you attach etched guard rails...just tac them on a couple at a time,do you do them in sections ....intentions is to buy a generic set and stick em on my stretched 42 ....and see what happens 

@junglierating Hi, I cut the rails out in fairly long runs and try to attach them all in one go down one side. If there are lots of corners on the deck, I will try and leave just one or two bends to work, but it does depend on the size and complexity of the deck.

I run a thin bead of PVA along the base of the railing, not much but 'enough'. Then I fit the railings, the PVA gives 'wiggle time', and finally I use some fishing line as an applicator to run a line of CA along the join between the rails and the deck, which then makes it solid. I use old Medium CA which has turned a bit thicker, and it can help fill any gaps between the railing and the deck.

Even finaller, I then pop a bit of paint along the joint line to disguise the gloss of the PVA and CA.

I hope that helps

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Worms said:

That's a nice job. The Shapeways boats are a bit special aren't they!

Thanks @Worms! Yes, they are stunning I think. Cost a bit though. I would only use them on a subject that means a lot to me because of the price. You are doing a grand job on your HMS Cossack too. I have been watching.

All the best,

Ray

• Thanks 1