Has anyone actually achieved pencil-thick lines with Vallejo?

Earnest

Hello fellow modellers (in the words of Plasmo)

I have been trying for quite a while to achieve pencil-thick lines with Vallejo Model Air.

Didn't manage so far.

I have Harder Steenbeck and Olympos airbrushes.

Always thinning with Vallejo Thinner with a couple of drops of Vallejo Flow Improver.

I have thinned the paints in oh so many ratios, used all kinds of low pressure going PSI by PSI.

I either get spider lines or thick atomization with chunks going all around. 

I am quite desperate.

However, I am willing to continue my efforts as long as someone tells me that it is doable and that they achieved it themselves.

I am interested only in Vallejos (and maybe MMP), not enamel- or lacquer-thinned paints (and that includes Tamiya, Mr. Hobby / Gunze).

Thank you in advance.

You need such thin lines for pre-shading purposes? By freehand, it's quite hard to obtain such a thin line with Vallejo's actually (with other paints as well tbh), also there will be even minimal movement due to hand shake and stuff.

My formula is (fpr pre-shading at least) thinning the black primer of Vallejo 1:1 with its cleaner, even a little more thinner actually and get a watery paint. No worry, because as you'll have already a painted surface, adhesion will be ok, drop the pressure to 10psi, get as close to the model as possible, limit the trigger distance by screwing the back so that you won't spray much by mistake -there will be a limited distance for trigger pull-, and apply in 2 coats as it'll be thin and transparent. 

• Like 1

Sorry can't help with Vallejo, but if by MMP you mean Mission Model Paints, check out Model Paint Solutions' website resources or shoot John an email. I believe one of his articles on the site is specifically about doing fine lines. I've seen him do it in person with his Harder Steenbeck.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 12:13 PM, Baran İşmen said:

You need such thin lines for pre-shading purposes? 

Mostly for Luftwaffe and IJA / IJN mottling. Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I cannot achieve it in this way.

15 hours ago, Shin said:

Sorry can't help with Vallejo, but if by MMP you mean Mission Model Paints, check out Model Paint Solutions' website resources or shoot John an email. I believe one of his articles on the site is specifically about doing fine lines. I've seen him do it in person with his Harder Steenbeck.

Yes Mission Models (if only they expanded their line - they would be my exlusive line).

I will check it out. Thanks