Swedish Navy Stridsbåt 90 H (Combat Boat 90) - completed

trickyrich

thanks....all I'll say for now is that work is super quite for me so I have plenty of time to play host........even managed to get some done today.

Being such a big beast I find it's much easier to work on, and actually it's coming together quite quickly. There's a chance I'll have her done before the start of my next build....the F-18E for in the Navy GB.

• Like 1

oh ok. I'm not too worried about them as they're only the boat number from what I can tell and no other special decals. These should be fairly easier to replicate I hope. Plus I have a set of Swedish flags on the way so with luck that it.

• Like 1

Right I have been able to squeeze in some more work on her and even some painting.

Ok as I was looking over photos of her, I noticed in the underside intakes for the water jets had ribs over the openings. They’re no super noticeable but they’re these so I made some up with plastic strip.

IMG_4092-L.jpg

There actually should be 8 per opening but to match up the PE grill there’s only 7! 

Right painting. The forward and engine section are bare metal from what I can see so I’ll paint these and associated bit in Model Master (Testors) Metalizer paints.

The main areas are a coat Buffing Magnesium with Non-Buffing Stainless Steel straight over top. As a result of this the finish is very dusty so the Stainless Steel coat comes off really easily in places and gives a nice natural metal finish.

IMG_4097-L.jpg

IMG_4100-L.jpg

I won’t clear coat this as it will slowly oxidise with age and look even better.

The inner panels in the forward section were painted with the Stainless Steel.

IMG_4096-L.jpg

The rest of the parts were either painted Aluminium or a dark Aluminium for the jet housings.

IMG_4099-L.jpg

The floor pan is too bright I think and the jet housings…….I actually don’t know what colour they should be as they’re covered in the photos I have. I may/probably change them!

EDIT: I've just been looking up these jet units, They made by Roll Royce, Kamewa FF Water Jets and the for the most part are painted an Azure Blue in colour ex-factory. I think I may go that path as it'll just help break up all that metallic finish.

The engines has some wee extra detail added before they were painted with Testors Chevy Engine Red acrylic, which actually isn’t a bad match for Scania Red.

IMG_4098-L.jpg

I’ll clear coat these, give them a wash then finish all the fine detail paint work.

The engine bay looks much better now there is some colour.

IMG_4093-L.jpg

Think I’ll be just right when done.

IMG_4094-L.jpg

I decided to see how the bridge area will look. They want you to build this up over different stages but looking at the joins……mmm I think it’ll be much tidier to build it as a unit then fit it. Maybe not the simplest or correct method, but it should work out fine.

IMG_4101-L.jpg

IMG_4102-L.jpg

There’ll be no work on her today as I have club meeting today……..I wonder what new toys I’ll but today??? :D

But it’s a long weekend so I’ll have plenty of time, the main cabin area is ready to start painting.

• Like 17

Enjoying this build - very exotic and aggressive looking boat.

So far so good progress, but can't wait the moment you reach the painting stage!

Hopefully you will resist adding Viggenwings onto this one 😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

Interesting subject and build. Are you intending to have an engine hatch open, would be a pity to hide that engine room after some weathering?

Stuart

thanks, no I'll leave one of the hatches open at least, seeing I'm going to all this trouble.

Have made big progress on her, will post an update after tomorrows work.....may not quite be ready to close up the hull by the end of tomorrow, but will be close.

• Like 2

First up I didn’t quite manage to close her up but am getting close.

Ok this is a fairly large update….as I've managed to get lots done over the long weekend.

I finished filling in those strange openings above the cabin windows.

IMG_4104-L.jpg

After some test fitting and thinking I decided to build up the bridge as one unit rather than in separate bit as per the instructions. There and will be some gaps that need to be cleaned up and doing it this way will be much easier.

IMG_4106-L.jpg

The main cabin has been painted and the forward bulkheads fitted. I painted the crew station/bridge and Lt Grey. The photos I have show this section to be painted but really don’t give any clues to the colour, as in different photo’s of the same vessel, the colour appears to be different! 

IMG_4107-L.jpg

While in this area I built the “jump seat” in its folded away position. It’s made up of card with the seat cushions carved from resin blocks. There’s a small pin at the back to help it sit/stay in the right spot.

IMG_4109-L.jpg

IMG_4110-L.jpg

IMG_4111-L.jpg

IMG_4112-L.jpg

I really don’t know how it sits in it deployed position….just guessing here.

IMG_4113-L.jpg

Lots of painting here, just the basic coat at this stage.

IMG_4114-L.jpg

The cabin with the first bits added.

IMG_4116-L.jpg

Now with the seats in. There’s a couple of bits more required, the real shame is 90% will not be seen when it’s closed up!

IMG_4128-L.jpg

Right to the engine, the first bit of detail painting, I tried to paint some semi-gloss black by hand and it didn’t work out!

IMG_4108-L.jpg

So some airbrush work then more detail painting and we’re nearly there.

IMG_4115-L.jpg

A little bit later and some glue and it’s in!

IMG_4117-L.jpg

IMG_4118-L.jpg

There’s still some more details I want to add, but on the whole I’m really happy with how it’s come out.

Even with the deck on you can still see the engine and most of the details….much better than the emptish space that was there before!

IMG_4120-L.jpg

IMG_4121-L.jpg

The jets and reverse shrouds have been painted as well.

IMG_4122-L.jpg

I just fitted a few bits to see how she looks, she’s impressive, can’t wait to get some colour on her.

IMG_4126-L.jpg

IMG_4127-L.jpg

• Like 15

51 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Can you leave the top unglued so its removable to display the interior ? 

unfortunately the top is a bit warped plus super think so it wouldn't be easy to straighten, but the main thing is there's too many fragile bits to go on the top.

But it's ok, I know what's inside so no biggie. 

• Like 1

I hadn’t had any chance to do anything on her last week at all, so yesterday as a busy day….and finally she’s closed up.

I finished off the main cabin, first doing all those life vests then fitting the webbing that “holds” them in place. Actually, it doesn’t look too bad.

IMG_4130-L.jpg

Then the final bits and pieces including the “jump seat” and windows plus the crew station were fitted.

IMG_4131-L.jpg

IMG_4132-L.jpg

I still have work to do in the crew station, but this can be done later.

So, closing her up, not the easy task at all, it had to be done in stages, and needed lots of clamps!

IMG_4133-L.jpg

IMG_4134-L.jpg

But slowly working along and the top was finally on, the fit sort of ok, gaps, not that great.

IMG_4135-L.jpg

IMG_4136-L.jpg

IMG_4139-L.jpg

Looking at the engine I, glad I spent a little extra time on it.

IMG_4137-L.jpg

The bridge roof is going to need some filling as you can see there’s going to be some largish gaps, it's just sitting there at the moment.

IMG_4140-L.jpg

The rear hatch to the engine room was fitted, filler required here…..

IMG_4141-L.jpg

……plus the other two “boxes” on the lower deck

IMG_4142-L.jpg

Mmmm a bit of filler was required, some will be easy to finish, other bits not so…..

IMG_4143-L.jpg

Other bits were worked on as I was waiting for paint and glue to dry.

So……… she’s really starting to look the bit now, very happy with the progress and the build in general. I should with luck get the hull pretty much finished today and with a little extra time spent on her during the week be looking to start painting her next weekend!

IMG_4144-L.jpg

IMG_4145-L.jpg

• Like 12