Swedish Navy Stridsbåt 90 H (Combat Boat 90) - completed

trickyrich

First GB of the year/decade and it looks to be a big one for me. I’ve been pretty quiet of the Xmas/NY period having a break from serious building getting ready for this year as I have some seriously big builds planned.

So first off the rank………I had originally planned to build a 1/48th Hasegawa Draken but this wee beasty caught my eye and I just couldn’t resist.

IMG_4023-L.jpg

It’s a reasonably big model and looks to be nicely detailed….so far I’ve resisted the urge to take the parts out of the plastic bags…..it’s been hard not too!

IMG_4024-L.jpg

IMG_4025-L.jpg

IMG_4026-L.jpg

Tiger Model was meant to have released the Swedish Navy version around 2 years ago, but it looks like they’ll only this one in Greek and Malaysian Navy schemes. These versions appear to be just export versions of the original Swedish Navy version. There are some very minor differences which aren’t noticeable unless you’re an expert on them. (If anyone could help in that regard I'd be very grateful...plus with the camouflage details as well).

Neither of which did the Malaysian or Greek versions really interest me…..however, this one does for obvious reasons!!

2880px-Stridsb%C3%A5t_90,_N%C3%A5ttar%C3

Stridsb%C3%A5t_90-L.jpg

This scheme is awesome and should be relatively simple one to duplicate. The one issue I do have though is I have no idea what the colours are? I have been searching everywhere for info and asking on various forums but no luck.  I should be able to colour match reasonably well so I’m not too worried, but again if anyone has info?  

She’ll be an OOB so it should be a fairly simple and quick build to start the year off....... and I can't wait!

• Like 17

Woohoo! Stridsbåt 90!

That'll be a massive model once it's built!

Back in 2018 a friend of mine built one and tried to nail down the colors.

In the end, he just gave up and did something that matched the photos, since the navy guys doing the paint job by brush is anything but exact...

WIP here, but in swedish

http://ipmsgoteborg.swedishforum.se/t5407-cb-90-eller-stridsbat-90-1-35-tiger-models

good luck with your build Rich. I don't know anything about the colors, but for the blackish color I would use Nato black. It is in fact a very dark green. 

Cheers,

Sorry Rich, know nothing about the colours, nor the boat, however it will be great to see this thing come alive on here. 

Cheers and here’s to a fantastically successful GB.. Dave 

2 hours ago, reini said:

Oooh - no matter whether it's a boat or a plane - a splinter scheme just makes everything more cool! 😎

the was one of the main reasons why I wanted to build one, once I saw that scheme I was sold.

12 hours ago, Arniec said:

good luck with your build Rich. I don't know anything about the colors, but for the blackish color I would use Nato black. It is in fact a very dark green. 

Cheers,

I was thinking that too, I still have the "black" I used on the Viggen or I may go with the Tamiya "Rubber Black". I'll do some tests to see which looks the closest/best.

• Like 2

I'm hopeless at doing dioramas so a water scene is way to much for me to attempt now....plus then I would have to find crew so then I'd have to add figures to my list hopelessness! :D

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I'm hopeless at doing dioramas so a water scene is way to much for me to attempt now....plus then I would have to find crew so then I'd have to add figures to my list hopelessness! :D

Makes sense. The guy in the video Also makes it look so easy which i’m 200% certain it’s absolutely not. 😄

Ok my first update and a sort of large one.

In the end I gave up waiting for the official start and opened up all the bags and started to check everything out. I’ve built a Tiger Model kit before and they’re not too bad, just a bit vague in places along with the fit, least they’re not like Trumpeter!

The hull is in 2 bits and looked like it’d go together nicely. They also supply 2 lumps of metal (???) I think to add some weight to her, so she won’t be knocked off her stand to easily.

IMG_4059-L.jpg

One little tab was broken on one of the hull pieces, no issues there.

IMG_4061-L.jpg

The main deck and interior bulkheads sprue must be one of the biggest I’ve seen! It took up the entire box and weighs a ton, the deck is really thick. There’s a very slight bit of warpage to it but nothing dramatic.

IMG_4060-L.jpg

There are heaps of holes to be drilled out, but there are 2 different sets, A & S, for this model the S ones need to be opened up. The A sets look to be for a different version that was never released. The S one line up with the Swedish Navy version (as well as the kits ones), the A’s may have been for the Rescue version, they sort of line up with some of the pictures of civilian ones????

IMG_4064-L.jpg

Finally they give you nice wee stickers to help identify the sprues….pity they fall off after a couple of minutes!

IMG_4063-L.jpg

Ok one bit I am going to improve is the .50 cal machine guns, they aren’t the best, so some new resin ones form Live Resin are on the way along with ammo belts and boxes. Plus, I’ve got some Swedish flags on the way as well.

IMG_4062-L.jpg

Right lets get too it……

The hull first, some tiding up of odd mould marks on the seams was require first, but it went together quite easily. The way it joined together sort of hide the join, bit I added some filler to clean it up properly.

IMG_4066-L.jpg

The intakes for the jets were fitted, they too needed some filler before the PE grills were fitted.

IMG_4065-L.jpg

Some filler was needed on the inside bow steps, this area was poorly done. I may add to “non-slip wet & dry” pads to these steps.

IMG_4067-L.jpg

The interior bulkheads were added along with the weights. 

IMG_4068-L.jpg

The 2 front bulkheads which have the boat crew seat cutout were built up as well. Again, the fit was quite poor and nothing really lined up. Most of this will be hidden but I’ve used filler here as the gaps/fit annoys me!

IMG_4069-L.jpg

IMG_4070-L.jpg

With them sitting there you can see the unusual arrangement for the 2-man crew’s seats with the alley way down the middle for the bow exit. They also sit quite low down to help reduce the boats overall silhouette.

IMG_4071-L.jpg

Finally, the engine bay, lots of open space and nothing else to go in there!  I have found some good pictures of an engine bay in one of these boats (this one is for sale) so I’ll try and add some detail. The worst part is the exhaust openings on the stern, they’re just whole with nothing connected to them! So they are a must fix.

IMG_4073-L.jpg

IMG_4074-L.jpg

So here she is with the deck sitting on. She looks impressive, ignore the wee dude, he's been running around the desk all week!

IMG_4072-L.jpg

Right the problems…..there are no instructions for painting at all other than the basic overall colour scheme which I not doing anyway. 

·      Engines – Grey or Scania Red, I’ve seen photos of both, being navy I would have thought grey, slightly dark and semi gloss, the bay probably a lighter grey.

·      Interior – no info, seen photos showing it a creamy colour, plus the crew station white or Lt Grey, again no idea. The forward section (bow exit) no idea, only seen one set of photos and it was bare aluminium, that doesn’t sound right for a service boat. I'd have said a dark grey for that part.

·      Exterior – still no idea, will have to mix and match some paints and do some test runs. I only know the lower part of the hull is black....going by pictures.

I wish there was someone here who knew someone who had served or have been on these boats. I’ve look on other forums and drawn a blank. Actually there’s very little detailed information of photos of them other than the basics which is a shame.  

Anyway that won’t stop me, so far I’ve really enjoyed this build and are just about ready to paint the interior, will probably use a bit of artistic license and common sense with the colours for it.

• Like 18

Not Sure if this will help with internal colours, I found it while looking for info on the CB 90. I have the kit and hope to build it as a RC model.

Bob

spacer.png

Check on Youtube there are several posts on the boat in action 

• Like 1

Just now, Hoppy said:

Not Sure if this will help with internal colours, I found it while looking for info on the CB 90. I have the kit and hope to build it as a RC model.

Bob

spacer.png

Check on Youtube there are several posts on the boat in action 

thanks, i have seen this picture.

the best I could come up with at the moment is this boat for sale, has some interior shots but it have been "civilianised" so I don't know what they may have changed or altered.

https://shipsforsale.com/en/ships-en/shipid/765/arbetsfartyg_1_helga/

11 hours ago, Dansk said:

Looking good 👍

Perhaps the weights are ballast if someone wants the model to float?

Don't say that! He'll be playing battleships with this kit in the bath next :blink2:

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Don't say that! He'll be playing battleships with this kit in the bath next :blink2:

i had actually thought of that....i'd first have to block off the jets plus those stupid exhaust holes!

but there is a motor kits for this one for those that want a powered version!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiger-1-35-Combat-Boat-90-CB-90-RC-Kit/293050678011?hash=item443b2e7afb:m:m4HbO4oPggik9pi28FMveuA

• Like 3

15 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Right the problems…..there are no instructions for painting at all other than the basic overall colour scheme which I not doing anyway. 

·      Engines – Grey or Scania Red, I’ve seen photos of both, being navy I would have thought grey, slightly dark and semi gloss, the bay probably a lighter grey.

·Interior – no info, seen photos showing it a creamy colour, plus the crew station white or Lt Grey, again no idea. The forward section (bow exit) no idea, only seen one set of photos and it was bare aluminium, that doesn’t sound right for a service boat. I'd have said a dark grey for that part.

·      Exterior – still no idea, will have to mix and match some paints and do some test runs. I only know the lower part of the hull is black....going by pictures.

I wish there was someone here who knew someone who had served or have been on these boats. I’ve look on other forums and drawn a blank. Actually there’s very little detailed information of photos of them other than the basics which is a shame.  

Anyway that won’t stop me, so far I’ve really enjoyed this build and are just about ready to paint the interior, will probably use a bit of artistic license and common sense with the colours for it.

Check the link Christer posted: plenty of pictures and they know what they are doing. Google translate works fine for Swedish to English, and if there’s something specific I’m sure me or somebody else can go through and find out. 

This movie contains some internal shots from service boats (anti-pirate duty off Somalia, but I doubt they repainted anything interior):

Edited by Torbjorn

oh crap i totally missed Christer's post!!  :wall:

I've got it now and had google translate (that could be interesting!), will save it as a document so i can go over it more easily.

I've seen most of those videos, but there are some new ones to look at.

thanks for that! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Ok time for another update, I had hoped to have started painting today but I got side tracked on detailing.

First up these goodies arrived…

IMG_4075-L.jpg

IMG_4076-L.jpg

…an improvement over the kit supplied ones, though I’ll have to make up new mounts for the twin gun arrangement up front. Least now they’ll have ammo belts feeding them!

Before I forget a big thank you to Christer for the link he sent me for another build. That and the one I have for the boat for sale are a huge help with this build.

Ok, first up I cleaned up some filler work from the other day, the jet deflectors had some poor join lines same with the ladders.

IMG_4077-L.jpg

The engine bay…….

I mention previously it’s really quite bare and has those 2 open holes for the exhausts with nothing in them, so I needed to add something to at least make it look a little busy.

IMG_4078-L.jpg

IMG_4080-L.jpg

So I added new exhaust system including mufflers or scrubbers ???? (those round cans) with proper outlets at the back. Some photos show flaps over these outlets…not sure about that.

• Repositioned exhaust on RHS engine.
  • New covers for the inlets, I would have thought they would have draw fresh air form outside, but can’t find photos. These new covers are sort of based of the ones on the boat for sale.
  • A lever setup above the jet assemblies. Now I’m not 100% sure, but to steer these boats they move the jet flow side to side which I suspect these levers do.
  • Added a small tank and large extinguisher bottle in front of the engines.

IMG_4081-L.jpg

IMG_4083-L.jpg

IMG_4085-L.jpg

I still have to add a few more “small boxes” around the place and add lines.

Thee small changes and painting will make a world of difference to the area.

IMG_4082-L.jpg

IMG_4083-L.jpg

The rear looks much better, no open holes. The deflectors will be mounted in the up position.

IMG_4086-L.jpg

After reading the other build and looking at more photos I did notice that the cover/entry way into the engine bay was too tall, so I cut 4mm off the bottom. Now it fit the profile in the photos.

IMG_4084-L.jpg

I forgot to take photos, but above the 3 windows on each side there’s a rectangular opening, for what I don’t know, but it shouldn’t be there. So I’ve filled that with sprue, I have to trim it bad and fill.

I’ve also started on the main cabin. I’ve added a small raised strip on each side that runs each side under the edge of the seats. I also need to fill a gap at the front and back of the floor as well. The only major work required here is I need to make a “jump seat” which is attached to RHS of the forward opening. This is for a seat, which can be placed in between the 2 main crew seats, it’s folded away when no in use. This whole thing will need to be scratchbuilt.

IMG_4089-L.jpg

So far I’m really enjoying this build, now I finally have some decent detailed photos (may not be 100% accurate but better than nothing) it’s making the build a lot easier.

I have a long weekend coming up…starting tomorrow, so should have her all closed up by the end of it.

• Like 16

Nice big update Rich with what must be a huge build to negotiate, whilst also playing GB host at the same time. You're doing a great job on both fronts. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1