Swedish Navy Stridsbåt 90 H (Combat Boat 90) - completed

trickyrich

hmmmmm we'll...... nothing to report at the moment! :whistle:

It was one of those weeks so I took a wee break from her and did some work on my Superbug. Plus for the moment I think I may have solved my flag situation, so no excuses now not to finish her.

That said I'll have her done this week, so guess I better get to it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colin W said:

Last year we had 'Everything looks good in camo wrap'. This year it's splinter! 

'Everything looks great in splinter scheme' could be the motto of this GB. Or, even better, the future second edition :hmmm:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Col. said:

'Everything looks great in splinter scheme' could be the motto of this GB. Or, even better, the future second edition :hmmm:

that's actually not a bad idea at all!  I have been trying to think of a painting based GB for sometime, but just not sure how to do it and make it should interesting.

Maybe it could be another multi-build GB, with different painting themes???

1, splinter

2, Day-glow

3, wrap

4, NMF

If anyone has some suggestions let me know, I'm happy to start a thread in GB Chat.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

that's actually not a bad idea at all!  I have been trying to think of a painting based GB for sometime, but just not sure how to do it and make it should interesting.

1, splinter

2, Day-glow

3, wrap

If anyone has some suggestions let me know, I'm happy to start a thread in GB Chat.

Natural metal or, to accommodate non-aviation subjects "unpainted" ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

1, splinter

2, Day-glow

3, wrap

4, NMF

Ah great, here's another of your great ideas I'll sign up for then foolishly offer to co-mod :doh:

10 hours ago, Richard E said:

Natural metal or, to accommodate non-aviation subjects "unpainted" ?

There is already a NMF GB idea thread active :) 

*Edit*

Here's a link. Don't say I'm not good to you all ;) 

Edited by Col.

Right with luck this will be the last update for this build. Progress has been a bit slow, all those final wee details, plus I had some other stuff outside of model building to sort out.

The final bit of mod work was to fix up the rear railing on top of the engine room hatch. I was originally just going to extend the original one’s height, but it actually wasn’t quite right, so I decided to build a new one from scratch. Looks much better and more like how it should.

IMG_4223-L.jpg

The .50 cals are just about done, just some final detailing and fitting of the ammo belts.

IMG_4228-L.jpg

IMG_4232-L.jpg

Those life rings are a real pain to paint, I can’t mask them and hand painting acrylics I find is a pain. Not helped by the one in this side, as I mistakenly removed the mounting bracket from the handrail!! :wall:

IMG_4229-L.jpg

………more bits fitted plus more touch-up jobs……..

IMG_4230-L.jpg

….that white antenna (??) array actually won’t be used, it was only fitted to the 900 series boats.

IMG_4231-L.jpg

I do like how she’s turning out, all these wee touch-up jobs is helping to give her a slight weathered look which is great, I probably won’t go any heavier with it. I’m just about ready to give her the final clear coat, that’s should help tie everything together finish wise.

IMG_4233-L.jpg

The only outstanding issue now in the boat serial numbers! The font used is like nothing I have in my decal stash and there’s nothing on evilBay I can find that matches either. I have found some really old  (30+ years old) form some old Swedish model that maybe of use, but they are badly yellowed and probably gone brittle. I’ll give them a go but may just end up using something the looks sort of close!

• Like 21

Looks great now Richard. I expect it to spring to life when you take the masking off the windows.

I almost missed the figure. Too well camouflaged! 

Colin 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Colin W said:

Looks great now Richard. I expect it to spring to life when you take the masking off the windows.

I almost missed the figure. Too well camouflaged! 

Colin 

:D that wee dude is the boss off a Quad 20mm setup on a halftrack....gosh he must be at least 20+ year old. I used him just for scaling as his mate (from a Tamiya King Tiger and has another 15 years on him)  unfortunately he's wander off somewhere.......probably heading back off east to Poland! :D

• Haha 3

Ok I lied  :D   …..this one last post and she’ll be done!

Unfortunately all my plans to have her finished by now have been scuttled by doctor visits!! :analintruder: The yesterday out looking at houses to buy. That’s a super scary thing in Sydney, we have to go right out north west (over 50km) to find something decent and affordable (we currently leave right near the city), though there’s not much change out of $1M!!!  :yikes:  Least I’ll get a whole room for my workshop and finally masses of shelving space!

Anyway……..it’s slowly all coming together, the guns are finished and fitted (the twin setup), they do look rather good.

IMG_4235-L.jpg

IMG_4236-L.jpg

I did and still am having trouble locating the correct decals for the boat numbers, the ones I’m using (only have 2) are close to 40yo! They didn’t breakup, just a bit silvery at certain angles, are currently drowning them in decal softening solution to see if that helps.

IMG_4238-L.jpg

You can see the glare shades are down on the windows this side.

The rear chains……….  Gosh there’s 3-4 hours work here, what a painful job it was. :rant:The chain links are too small to go through the brackets, so I had to make bigger eyelets (?) for them. I needed 24 but made over 40 because they kept flying off into the void….least the carpet monster is well fed. Then trying to fit them without breaking the handrails off!  Anyway, I finally got them on, for the moment they’re painted an enamel silver but I’ll dull them up with a wash.

IMG_4234-L.jpg

Plus she has her final clear coat on, I’m not going to go any further with the weathering. Now down to the last few final bits, can’t promise a completion date buy really do want to finish her soon. Have the Superbug and maybe a Panther or Rafale :wicked: requiring my attention.

• Like 17

That may have been hard work with the chain anchors but it's nice work and yet another impressive detail to add into the overall effect of a lovely model.

• Thanks 1

Gosh she’s finally done!!

These final bits seemed to have taken forever and I really had to push on to finish her, plus with all that’s going on outside of modelling it was harder than usual!

But she’s done, my first boat I’ve ever managed to finish! Towards the end it was a bit of a struggle to finish her, but I have so loved this build, it was a really enjoyable build and would do it again…….if they released the US Navy version….super complex camo scheme! :D

The only outstanding item is that I will have to replace the serial numbers as they reacted with the decal solution, in a bad way! Not sure how I’ll do that, but will worry about that later.

Thank you for following this build, hope you liked it and that I’ve inspired you to buy one of these models…..you won’t regret it!

Different photos should be in the gallery or RFI sections.........maybe! :whistle:

IMG_4240-XL.jpg

IMG_4243-XL.jpg

IMG_4245-XL.jpg

IMG_4248-XL.jpg

IMG_4249-XL.jpg

IMG_4251-XL.jpg

IMG_4257-XL.jpg

IMG_4267-XL.jpg

IMG_4277-XL.jpg

IMG_4280-XL.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Outstanding!

I would concur about changing the flag though - that’s the merchant flag if you see it on a ship, and the blue is too light. Wouldn’t mention it normally but it looks distracting on an excellent model (like hvaving a light-blue union jack in place of the White Ensign) :)

• Thanks 1

That’s just gob smacking gorgeous Rich! A truly outstanding piece of modelling excellence which is even more impressive by the fact that you’ve played co-host to a very popular and entertaining GB. Very well done on both fronts. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1