Finland - SAAB 91 Safir (Heller 1/72) ** FINNISH-ED". **

Rabbit Leader

56 minutes ago, reini said:

What's a micromesh? :o 

A US produced polishing system designed to restore clarity on clear / transparent surfaces. I just use small segments of the various grades of sanding cloths. A typical box comes in 1500, 1800, 2400, 3600, 4000 & 6000 grades and you use them like most other sandpaper products from course grade to fine. Once the 6000 is used, I then polish the clear parts with various non sanding cloths and apply a coat or two of Clear to finally restore the finish. I don’t use it on all my canopy’s, however it’s very handy when canopies (often) don’t line up as well as I like. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's been nice seeing this kit get a slight upgrade. The canopy fix is interesting to watch. 

As for the shallow gear bays - unless you put the model on a mirror; nobody, including you, is going to be looking down there. I think your solution of plastic insert painted black is sufficient!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, reini said:

What's a micromesh? :o 

these are the beasts....would never leave home of the hobby bench without them! A real lifesavers for those canopies with the mould lines down the middle! (F-16, F-14 etc)

https://www.amazon.com.au/MICRO-MESH-SOFT-TOUCH-SANDING/dp/B000H6EC4C

Lovely work Dave!!

• Like 2

Update #5 - Masking & Painting begins! 

I really wanted to get more modelling done this weekend, however Mrs RL had better ideas which resulted in more house tidying and three seperate trips to the dump. On the plus side, I did start my Norwegian F-5A GB thread and applied the initial layers of paint to this Safir. I also got to see the new "Midway" movie, so not a bad weekend after all to be honest. 

So after all the time spent blending the canopy piece to the fuselage, I didn't want to muck it up by doing a bad masking job. The proof of my success will be proven (or horribly realised!) later, however I took my time and tried to be very careful. Fingers crossed it all works out! Now I find that for 1/72 scale kits, black paint is a good solid colour for the internal canopy frames and you don't end up with that transparent look that can sometimes show through. I was fairly liberal with the Tamiya lacquer black paint and covered the inner wing sections as well to represent the wing walkways. As lacquers dry very fast, I didn't have to wait too long before giving the Safir a good three-four coats of Decanted Tamiya AS-12 Airfame Silver. Mixed with Gunze's Leveling Thinner, this stuff goes on beautifully with very fine metallic pigment and is usually tough enough to handle a good dose of masking. Next up will be the Dayglo sections and I've got a few ideas on how best to tackle that faded effect. 

Cheers.. Dave  

49475188023_5329fb75e3_b.jpg

49475678436_3620883605_b.jpg

49475899002_7d6456994f_b.jpg

49475187578_69d129b260_b.jpg

• Like 17

Hi Dave,

It might be still possible to add new exhausts for this? D-model had 4-cylinder engine instead of 6 used in the B so D had exhaust in different location than the B. You can see it slearly from the in-flight picture.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, AaCee26 said:

Hi Dave,

It might be still possible to add new exhausts for this? D-model had 4-cylinder engine instead of 6 used in the B so D had exhaust in different location than the B. You can see it slearly from the in-flight picture.

Cheers,

AaCee

Ooh... thanks for pointing this out AaCee. I had a feeling that something was not quite right up front, however that’s now confirmed a few things. Let me see what I can come up with. Might need to get a few good photos as well to help me determine what needs doing. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Update #6 - Dayglo prep

Looks like this little 1/72 Safir is going to get swamped by a few of its 1/48 bigger brothers, so I'd better progress it some more and bring it closer to the finishing line. The silver undersurface is nice and dry so the Dayglo areas were masked off ready for the first layers of paint. Dayglo paints are by their nature quite thin and transparent and I have no idea how some modellers get away with hand brushing them. My tried and trusted way is to paint a solid white base first and then numerous thin coats of the Dayglo paint all applied with an airbrush.

The photo sequence below starts with two coats of Mr Color #62 Matt White. Once dried I applied a good coat of Humbrol #24 Trainer Yellow, however I'm experimenting a little bit here. My overall aim is to replicate a faded Dayglo finish, so the underside yellow layer was painted up in a fairly solid finish, whilst the upper sections and tail fin were softly sprayed to represent a lighter / faded look. Not sure if this is the way to do it, however let's see what happens when the orange is applied? Till next time.. 

Cheers.. Dave 

49505317651_18895fe819_b.jpg

49504802793_8d7fc5935b_b.jpg

49505317561_40b88d8f83_b.jpg

49514641198_522116e3b1_b.jpg

• Like 14

Update #7 - Dayglo Orange 

It's been way too long since I updated this thread so here's some recent progress shots with the application of Humbrol #209 Fluorescent Fire Orange and Black for the Anti Glare panel. As I'm trying to replicate a faded dayglo look, the undersurface orange was applied fairly solid. The paint was gradually feathered as I rotated the model to expose the upper surfaces. The top orange is no more than one or two passes of the airbrush and I had to stop myself from over doing it, not exactly easy when your having fun with the AB! Anyway, I think it's reasonably effective and will hopefully look the part once the decals and other details are applied.

Cheers.. Dave 

49545803276_dd1e98eb37_b.jpg

49546030462_2c55f03576_b.jpg

49546030442_32e8f32aa0_b.jpg

49545301593_2c6ced33c9_b.jpg

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

What metal colour did you use? I am on the hunt for a nice covering (and easy to apply) metal colours for future projects.

Decanted Tamiya AS12 Airframe Silver from a Spray Can. Mixed with Mr Color Levelling thinner, it takes about three to four thin coats to get a solid application, however is tough as nails and the pigment is very tight. For this LB-30, you could even spray it straight out of the can, it'll work well for that. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Update #8 - Finnish-ed! 

I got a bit of steam ahead in the last week or so and just kept on building this without stopping to photograph it. She's finally done although I'm a little disappointed with the quality of he final photo's now that I'm viewing these on a larger desktop screen (they look so much better on a phone). I was not sure which background to use for the final gallery shots, so have posted the blue background here and the grey ones in the gallery. Anyway, unless I take more photo's later I'll leave it at that and tick off the first of hopefully four builds for this GB. Thanks to all who have commented, especially the GB hosts for running such a great show so far. 

Cheers and big thanks.. Dave (how hard is Dayglo to photograph?) 

49581431728_8667a461ea_b.jpg

49581927326_682074e5bf_b.jpg

49581927311_0d3301c0fe_b.jpg

49582160617_43cdde180e_b.jpg

49581431763_9a31dabbc8_b.jpg

• Like 18