Not a 'Fury'

Ian

Kit - Tamiya.

Paint - Mig acrylics (OD Modulation set), Tamiya acrylics & enamels, Humbrol enamels.

Decals - Star 35-C-1048 M4A3E8's, 6th Armoured Division

Extras - Legend 'Fury' stowage, Verlinden M4 Stowage, various Tamiya, Historex & Italeri pieces.

M4A3E8 Sherman

68th Tank Bt. 6th Armd Div.

Near Leipzig, Germany.

May 1945

XvLYNlM.jpg

s5gmXtz.jpg

17SaYEH.jpg

D7oyHVu.jpg

6lnzMBu.jpg

dAD6YlY.jpg

UzBzzLx.jpg

w0QWJHh.jpg

d1RCUAa.jpg

PrYMUxQ.jpg

Started in September 2018 after a good friend realised he just wouldn't be able to 'do it justice', he also included the Legend resin stowage set - which is vast, I put it to one side in early 2019 to start another project and then lost the enthusiasm. So after spending most of last year on the 'Shelf of Forgetfulness' I brought it back to the bench in November, and have grabbed a few sessions here and there since then.

This was the first time I'd used Mig acrylics - the full OD modulation set, also included by my friend - not surprisingly I was VERY nervous about this entirely new (to me) way of painting an AFV, but by watching a number of excellent YT tutorials and having a new bottle of 'brave pills' to hand I simply tried it and... well I think I got lucky, first time out. After the decalling I simply weathered and faded the model in the usual way with a pin wash, overall washes, oil-dot filter and finally pigments (ughhhh). Used another 'new' product for the final matt coat - Migs' Ultra Matt 'Lucky' Varnish (A.Mig 2050). Really scary when I tested it on the underside, as it immediately went-on 'milky', but after ten mins it dried so matt, that light simply falls into it - nil reflectivity, bl**dy marvelous stuff but only apply in VERY light mist coats.

One of Tamiya's very best and an utter joy to build. Won't be to everyones' taste and definitely will upset some Shermaholics I'm sure. No matter please feel free to ask any questions, make any comments or pass-along any criticisms.

Best from NZ.

Ian.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Great looking Sherman, can't comment on accuracy but looks good to me!

Big fan of the modulation sets, the Matt varnish sounds useful.

Fantastic paintwork and weathering, plenty of stowage and tied down, what's not to like!

Great work

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

That is very, very impressive. Very well done! :worthy:

Certainly one of the best finished and weathered Shermans I have seen.

Unfortunately Tamiya's tracks are not the best. What you have done with them - with regards painting and weathering - is great but, to me, they don't sit well around the wheels. Not a major issue but if you make something like this in future you could, if you wanted to, look to replacing kit band tracks with aftermarket ones - either metal or plastic individual links sets. They take a lot more work but their appearance, if done well, really enhances a model.

Kind regards,

Stix

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Wowser :o  Amazing weathering.  Fantastic combo of dirt, dust, grime, and worn paint.  The decals are perfectly matched to the weathering.  The tow ropes "hang" and look weighted, which isn't easy as they can often be quite springy.  The whip aerials are nicely whipped.

If I was to offer one minor criticism it is that the stowage on top is well painted and highlighted/shaded, but much cleaner than the tank on which it sits.  A coat of dust would tie it in nicely with the vehicle.

But gorgeous overall.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been around BM for a few days so just catching-up.

Thanks for all the positive comments folks, very much appreciated and never taken for granted. Got one AFV build on the go just now, but that's a 'slow-burner', just finishing a Ferrari which you'll see late this week hopefully, then a couple of 1:72 aircraft builds.

Best from NZ and cheers again.

Ian.

Yes, I have to agree with all the other comments....a really well done piece. I know that Olive Green is a very difficult colour, similar to German Grey........they can end up lifeless. But I think you've created a less than lifeless finished piece here. I especially like the stowage, again something not easy to make look like realistic.

Nice.....:yes:

Regards

Simon.