Norse Warrior 10th Century

Rich B

Welcome along Rich and it's so great to see something completely different from all the usual builds, a figure!! :thumbsup:

He does look nice and frightening, already for fighting and all that stuff after! The painting is what makes these, I just wish I could paint figures. Along with Vacform models and Rigging (planes and ships), figure painting scares me, I've tried it and I'm hopeless.

Good luck with it, I'll be following in amazement and look forward to seeing him in the gallery.

5 hours ago, JeroenS said:

I'm interested as well and will be following for sure. How tall is he, something like 11 centimeter? 

Once he's together he should be in the 11 to 12 cm range.

Thanks for the interest. Hope I am worthy of it. No pressure. 😓

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 1

The startup picture. The figure is sculpted in 3D and the master is printed at 25 microns resolution. Silicon molds are made and resin cast using a pressure/vacuum system. Not much clean-up to do.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 6

My Norseman, Thorir, is coming together. I'll leave his axe hand and shield off until painting is completed. There were a couple of air bubbles and small seams long the arms and waist to fill with epoxy putty. While I was at it, I found during research that most Vikings wore wool leg wraps (what we call puttees now) so I converted what looked like gaiters to wraps. I also added some extra fullness to the blousing of his trousers. Now to let the putty dry and final sanding. I sharpened the undercut between layers of clothing in a few locations to give better definition.

spacer.png

spacer.png

IMG-0728.jpg

IMG-0725.jpg

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

While digging thru research material on our Viking friend I found some anomalies with the shield. First, the shield was a bit under size, Gulating laws defined the diameter to be 32-36 inches. Some shields as small as 28 inches and as large as 37 inches in diameter have been found. Second, the planks making up the shield usually ran horizontally. Third, Vikings didn't use straps to hold their shield. They had a single handle that usually ran near the full diameter. And finally, there was a strap on the back that allowed our warrior to sling his shield on his back while on the march. Gulating law also proscribed two iron reinforcing straps running parallel to the handle near the outer edge but with little archaeological evidence that they were used.

Armed with this information, the modifications began. I made a new shield from 1mm sheet styrene a little over 2 inches in diameter with 6 scribed planks. The centre was bored out to accommodate the iron boss that protected the hand while holding the shield.  The boss I made from the nose of a drop tank, the inside slightly thinned to fit the hand, found in the spares box. The leather edge was made from epoxy putty and the nails/rivets from styrene rod.  I carved the handle from styrene stock and the carrying strap from heavy foil with wire buckles and attachments.

IMG-0752.jpg

IMG-0753.jpg

IMG-0751.jpg

IMG-0749.jpg

I removed the leather arm straps from the shield arm and separated the forearm at the elbow and hand at the wrist. They will be re-positioned due to the new hand hold, the next step in our adventure.

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 4

That's marvelous. Seriously, I'd never considered this, making your own shield! Very nice work, I'm looking forward to seeing this warrior progress.

• Thanks 1