PM **Finished** Finnish Fokker D.XXI

JOCKNEY

Well here's a turn up for the book, it hasn't got a jet engine !

Feeling that Finland was in danger of being underrepresented in this GB, I will be building this.

IMG_4834

IMG_4835

IMG_4836

Can't remember the last time I built a kit with ski's, should be good.

cheers Pat 

• Like 18

welcome along Pat, I know you've been very keen to get into this one......would have been sooner if someone else had been on the ball! :whistle: :D

Nice to see you've brought something completely different and it'll be a great addition to the gallery. 

It should be a nice and straightforward build for you and from what I've seen the start of a very busy build year for you too!

Good luck with her, I'm looking forward to seeing her completed...and maybe a 2nd build???

• Like 1

Yes! We definitely need more Finns :)

Fokker is a true Winter War work horse and the plane of Jorma Sarvanto who did the world record of bringing down six bombers in four minutes.

Edited by reini
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

As i have lots of other builds planned this year its going to be out of the box.  

Pat, I really appreciate your optimism! I just checked comments of building this kit at a Finnish modelling forum and... I´m glad you wouldn´t understand them if I´d link them here. Best of luck! V-P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Cool!! Pat’s on here as well. You are a busy little modeller these days old chap. Now this will be a fun one to watch. Good to see a wartime subject being built as everything I’ve come across so far has been pretty much hard core Swedish Cold War Jets - although there’s nothing wrong with that!

Cheers and best of luck with this build and the intercontinental banter... Dave 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Anyone got any ideas of the cockpit interior colour ? I built a Finnish Dornier do-17 a while back in the Frog GB that had an RLM02 interior, would this be the same or something else ?

Quick look at the finnish forums suggests it would be gray with a slight blue tone. RAF Medium Sea Gray was mentioned to be pretty close.

Edit:

Here is one gorgeous looking model with what seems to be well researched info regarding the colors (cockpit and others): https://translate.google.com/translate?um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&client=tw-ob&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fusers.kymp.net%2Fmode0522%2Fplanes_fin%2Ffokker%20d-21_fin.html

Edited by reini
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks @reini brilliant link, especially the story of the 5 bombers all being shot down by a single fighter !

cheers Pat

Six bombers, Pat. I had plenty of laughs comparing the google translation to original text in Finnish. Lt. Horns was a tough guy! (His name was Sarvanto, sarvi = a horn).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hi Pat,

How are you fixed for decals? The ones in your pic look a little iffy! As it happens I bought a Print-Scale sheet for my old Frog kit a few years back as the Dutch Markings were shot, and it has markings for 10 Finnish DXXI including these.

DXX1

I am never going to use them so you are welcome to them - if interested, send me a PM. Never noticed the variation of engines and canopies before, yours seems to have the short canopy and plain cowling.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

A great choice Pat. This is one that I more or less completed (unheard of!) about 15 years ago.

I remember fine yellow plastic, almost transparent in parts, that gave a nice wing chord and fine look to it.

I built it as Spanish Civil War then; just busking it using the prototype Fokker paint scheme and my own guess as to where the Republican colours may have been.

Thoroughly enjoyable. I’m fairly sure that if one wishes to go full ‚Childhood Saturday afternoon‚, it can be built so that the wheels turn and the prop spins very freely 😊.

Recently developed a fascination for Finnish subjects, so I‘m looking forward to this.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

Gents

Thanks to the generosity of @PeterBi will have the decals for Captain J Sarvanto's famous aircraft. 

Can anyone advise on colours to paint it please.  My previous attempts at a winterised aircraft were to be honest awful  !

cheers Pat 

• Like 1

Some progress while working away

20200127_203648

Interior Grey, next to find some ready made stands in the hotel room 

20200127_211951

Just the job !

20200127_230457

Skis on, filler has seen better days.

Need to decide on Prop colour, if winter camouflage, would they bother to paint it ?

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Right some progress 

I decided to try my hand at preshading, I've never tried it before but thought with, thinned white acrylic paint over the top it might look more presentable than my last winterised IL-2 which looking like I had emulsioned it !

IMG_4860

Cheers Pat

• Like 12