Another Javelin FAW9 Airfix 1/72

I noticed a few javelins popping up on here. I have the same kit many have done some great work on. So I will join in with my not so great attempt. 

Box

20200105_234707

Plastic

20200105_234717

Reading the other javelin thread I saw that these kits are a re hash of an old tooling. The strange silver plastic leaves traces of its flow in the tool. Which as someone who worked with resin for many years and now works with metal, its very interesting (well for me at least) 

Over the past few days I've fettled the parts and glued some bits together. Put those to one side while I tackle the cockpit. 

The rear instrument panel is hollow. So added a bit of card 

2020-01-12_10-17-04

To the left, just out of focus is an ejection seat a friend gave me. I popped this is the corner of a centrefuge mold at work and spun up a handful. So I've got a basic pewter ejection seat for those kits that just come with a blank chair. 

Onwards. 

20200111_210958

Just slapped some colours on. Without PE I'm not that good at cockpits. 

Dry fit the body. 

20200109_235808

Remembered I had some range scrap from the last time my friends shooting range had a visitors day. I made sure to collect pockets full of bullets 😉

While gluing the body together I put too much pressure on the cockpit and it came loose, sinking into the body. I drilled a descrete hole and attached a pin made of trimmed sprue. 

When I looked at it I thought I really should support this tub. But, I forgot so a fix had to be found. 

20200112_190802 20200112_190809

Just put some filler on the wings. Will post picks in a bit. I'm off for a well earned refreshment and one of those tobacco sticks. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Always good to see a Javelin. I've got this one in the stash so it'll be interesting to see how you get on.

I've seen a few on here recently so decided I should do one too. This one I got cheap from a record shop in town that turned out to have 2 upstairs rooms full of kits. 

I must go back and visit him actually. 

Quick question. Does the pic with the plasticard on the instruments still show for you? I think I may have deleted the wrong pic from Flickr as I uploaded that pic twice by mistake. 

I've probably made my life harder by assembling everything. Plus the first time I've used tamiya putty. I went over the putty with a cotton bud soaked in acetone as I've seen suggested to smooth it out. The big overspill of grey putty is mixed with acetone and is as flat as the plastic.

I have however, taken too much putty back off in some spots with the cotton bud. 

20200112_224146

20200112_224224

I'm not very good with filling stuff, but I've normally only ever used milliput. So this is new to me.

🐧 

• Like 1