Saab S-35E Draken

Arniec

Hi guys,

I will be building the 1/48 Hasegawa Saab J-35 F/J Draken kit. I will convert it with a Aires set to the S-35 E recon version. I have got some extra goodies for it.

I will place some pictures later.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 5

welcome along Arnold and very nice to see you've brought the 1/48th Draken, there's a lot of love for this aircraft!

I've got pretty much the same AM stuff as you have here, except for the recon nose.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Hasegawa model comes together, I would have be building one if I hadn't gotten distracted by something else! :D

Good luck with the build, looking forward to following your progress and seeing her in the gallery. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I will do my best.

3 hours ago, Christer A said:

Recce Draken 😍

I seen that you've bought a pair of extra fuel tanks, great!

It always flew with 4, just to get above 170% fuel load (and that was still not enough...)

This will be one beautiful S 35!

yes, I bought the extra fuel tanks. In the end I don't need them, because I have already got a extra pair from a previous build where They were swapped for some other ones.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Great project Arnold, three big cheers for you my friend. Now one of my ‘future’ projects is Heller’s 1/72 Draken in S35E guise, which was a recent Christmas gift by our very own GB host himself (what a nice chap!). Now If you don’t mind, I’m gonna sit quietly and take some notes just to help and spur me along when I eventually get to mine. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Christer A said:

I just got an offer to buy a 1/48 S35E at a very low price. Thanks to this GB and this thread I couldn't say no....

arrr so you're now going to build that as well! :D

Enzo will be proud of you!

• Haha 4

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

It has been a while sins I posted here. I have been doing very little on the kit after the start of the GB. 

I am a bit ashamed🙈 The only thing I did was the cockpit. I painted it and placed it in the fuselage. It was a very dark green.

And I forgot to taken some pictures of it before I putted it in.

But I took today some pictures.

IMG_4952 IMG_4953

I had already closed up the fuselage this week

IMG_4944

After the seams were cleaned up, I placed the tail, outer wings, air inlets and the new recon nose on it.

And this is the result.

IMG_4954

This is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 5

...and I was already to give you a nudge too..... :fight:  :D

that new cockpit does look nice, and it looks like it's all gone together quite nicely as well. it should come together quite now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2020 at 3:04 PM, Arniec said:

IMG_4952 

Hi Arniec,

I notice you made the same mistake as I did as this is not show in the instructions: the rear bulkhead of the kit must be cut to fit the rear of the Aires cockpit "bathtub", as you've already closed the fuselage this could be very tricky to do but here's the (friendly) warning.

Keep working, keep posting, stay safe.

cbe305f9f5ab36ea6a09b57ca13ac641.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I have made some progress on this one.

The first thing I did was making the instrument panel ready and place it into the model.

IMG_4955

Then I finished the seat and painted it, after witch I placed it inside and closed the canopie to hide my mistake with my resin cockpit.

IMG_4978

As this is drying now I have made the undercarriage and hope to progress the next few days, so I can paint the model and hope to finish the model before the end of the GB.

Cheers,

• Like 3

the IP looks nice.

A shame about the resin cockpit, it's wouldn't be the first time that there have mistakes made fitting an Aires cockpit!! To say their instruction are a bit vague is being way too nice!!!!!!  :angry:

Hopefully this is the last issue and you can finish her in time.

• Like 2

Gi Guys,

I have made some more progress. I have painted the model now and will give it today a Klear coat, so that I can put tomorrow some decals on. 

But here are some pictures. 

The first thing done was masking the canopies and then give the underside it's first coat of paint. And that was the grey color.

IMG_4980

Later on I will be doing the silver as I don't want it to be ruined by tape.

And then it was time for the first top color. That was Olive drab from Gunze as the lighter Green color.

IMG_4981

To me it is a little bit to light, but later on after the wash has got on it will be darkened a bit. (I hope)

Then the second color. I went for RLM 70 black green instead of midnight blue as stated in the instructions.  To my eyes it looks better.

IMG_4982

Then it was time to mask everything of for the silver color.

IMG_4983

I used alluminium for that from Gunze. It gives a shine, but not to bright.

And this is the result.

IMG_4984 IMG_4985

I also did the engine intakes, but I am not totally happy with it. I will have a look if I can brighten it up a bit.

O and the four feul tanks etc. as well, but they were also painted alluminium.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 5

Hmm! Regarding the blue paint you really should have used the midnight blue as the instruction states, see photo below.  I use Humbrol enamels and in the old days Humbrol had # 134 satin blue which was a very good match for the blue. The green seems way to light, here Humbrol had # 108 matt WW1 green to match. For the underside the old #87 matt steel grey a bit darkened is a good match. I have been modelling for more than forty years so I bought many Humbrol enamels for my coming Swedish projects.

Regards Göran

spacer.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pantera said:

Hmm! Regarding the blue paint you really should have used the midnight blue as the instruction states, see photo below.  I use Humbrol enamels and in the old days Humbrol had # 134 satin blue which was a very good match for the blue. The green seems way to light, here Humbrol had # 108 matt WW1 green to match. For the underside the old #87 matt steel grey a bit darkened is a good match. I have been modelling for more than forty years so I bought many Humbrol enamels for my coming Swedish projects.

Regards Göran

spacer.png

I feel that that is an unrepresentative image, taken indoors under artificial light, yes it does looks very blue but I have seen numerous images where the shade is just as @Arniec has achieved. I have used Vallejo model air USN Sea blue for my Draken based on reference taken from Urban's Colour reference which details FS35042/45 and have got a very similar result. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

I feel that that is an unrepresentative image, taken indoors under artificial light, yes it does looks very blue but I have seen numerous images where the shade is just as @Arniec has achieved. I have used Vallejo model air USN Sea blue for my Draken based on reference taken from Urban's Colour reference which details FS35042/45 and have got a very similar result. 

But the RLM 70 is blackgreen and the blue colour 438 M really is darkblue when new. The colours could be very faded on some aircrafts but it´s still bluegrey.  I shall try to find some photos of the Draken outdoors.

// Göran

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 11:40 PM, trickyrich said:

the IP looks nice.

A shame about the resin cockpit, it's wouldn't be the first time that there have mistakes made fitting an Aires cockpit!! To say their instruction are a bit vague is being way too nice!!!!!!  :angry:

Hopefully this is the last issue and you can finish her in time.

Don't people ever look at reference pictures anymore? A quick look at the seat/bulkhead area would reveal that the kit part has to be cut in order to fit the cockpit correctly.

Jens

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pantera said:

But the RLM 70 is blackgreen and the blue colour 438 M really is darkblue when new. The colours could be very faded on some aircrafts but it´s still bluegrey.  I shall try to find some photos of the Draken outdoors.

// Göran

We could both find numerous images to support each of our arguments, at the end of the day colour is dependent on light conditions, as you say the age of the paint and the environment it has been exposed to, the type of camera or indeed the film the image was taken on, monitor calibration.... do I need to go on. In essence it is subjective and the modeller has to make a decision about how to represent it. You reference enamels...I don't use enamels because I don't have the infrastructure to support them besides which they are a complete ball ache so I use Acrylics and have to work with the range of colours (ever increasing) available. yes RLM70 is black green as I said I used USN Sea Blue and it came out looking just about like @Arniec's with maybe a touch more blue to it and I was reasonably happy with it because it was in the range of hue I had seen in quite a few reference photos and I might add other builds.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jens said:

Don't people ever look at reference pictures anymore? A quick look at the seat/bulkhead area would reveal that the kit part has to be cut in order to fit the cockpit correctly.

Jens

No, I didn't. Because to my eye it looked good and the tub was in the right place in Relation with the front wheelbay.

And about the colours. I have a book about Drakens and to my eye the darker colour looked more like Black green and so I used it. I have builded one before when the kit was new and I also used black green (RLM 70) from gunze for it. The lighter green was per instructions. 

Cheers,

8 minutes ago, Arniec said:

No, I didn't. Because to my eye it looked good and the tub was in the right place in Relation with the front wheelbay.

And about the colours. I have a book about Drakens and to my eye the darker colour looked more like Black green and so I used it. I have builded one before when the kit was new and I also used black green (RLM 70) from gunze for it. The lighter green was per instructions. 

Cheers,

Here is one with faded colours. Maybe the Gunze #52 olive drab will darken a bit when you paint clearcoat for the decals. The colours for the Draken were  quite dark when the aircrafts were newpainted. I often see SAAB 105 SK60 painted in the same colours as Draken fly over my job and they are actually really dark on the sky.

Regards Göran

spacer.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

We could both find numerous images to support each of our arguments, at the end of the day colour is dependent on light conditions, as you say the age of the paint and the environment it has been exposed to, the type of camera or indeed the film the image was taken on, monitor calibration.... do I need to go on. In essence it is subjective and the modeller has to make a decision about how to represent it. You reference enamels...I don't use enamels because I don't have the infrastructure to support them besides which they are a complete ball ache so I use Acrylics and have to work with the range of colours (ever increasing) available. yes RLM70 is black green as I said I used USN Sea Blue and it came out looking just about like @Arniec's with maybe a touch more blue to it and I was reasonably happy with it because it was in the range of hue I had seen in quite a few reference photos and I might add other builds.

Yes it´s so, the conditions play a big role on photos. I also use acrylics and find Gunze and Tamiya very good to airbrush. I have bought some of Mr Paints RLM colours but I have not tried it yet. Then it comes to airbrushing the Humbrol enamels are hard to beat when using cellulose thinner.

Göran