SAAB J21R - Dual Combo

Christer A

mmm just go with A and be done with it!

...and the production is under way......

You know if you say it you have to build it!!! :D

...oh and if you get board, Look!!!! theres a red light......

• Haha 6

Well, I have started to paint the bang seat, but I used the wrong references...

The J21R at Flygvapenmuseum has taken a apparently added some padding where there isn't any and so on.

However, my friend @Rudolf_Filip who's a volunteer at the F10 Museum in Ängelhom kindly provided these images:

49467249236_492e7fcd75_o.jpg

49467473857_0083365cc4_o.jpg

Using this very seat, Bertil Bjäre ejected from a J21R, "Yellow Martin".

Mr Bjäre passed away this monday at the age of 92.

He is one of the key figures in F10 history, both as a pilot, General,Wing Commander and later on when F10 was disbanded he was a driving force to get the Museum up and running.

He flew all the fighter aircraft at F10, starting with the J22, and then moving on through J21, J21R, J28, J29 and J35.

Good speed and clear skies mr Bjäre!

Sadly, I don't have any decals for J21R Yellow M. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Christer A said:

Using this very seat, Bertil Bjäre ejected from a J21R, "Yellow Martin".

Mr Bjäre passed away this monday at the age of 92.

He is one of the key figures in F10 history, both as a pilot, General,Wing Commander and later on when F10 was disbanded he was a driving force to get the Museum up and running.

He flew all the fighter aircraft at F10, starting with the J22, and then moving on through J21, J21R, J28, J29 and J35.

Good speed and clear skies mr Bjäre!

May he always have blue skies and happy landings. :poppy: R.I.P. 

• Like 1

This weekend wasn't as productive as I wanted due to some unforseen bug/germ/virus/whatever. It didn't drag me down to full-blown man-cold but I was kind of bored with everything so the mojo was a bit hard to summon.

During the last two weeks, I have made some progress here and there, but to shake things up at bit I present you the nose landing gear.
49478997742_aaaf0b1313_o.jpg

The main leg is made up from two parts, but not split in a sensible way (that would have been to make a loos part of one fork) but instead SH opted for this solution.

Naturally, since this is old school SH the fit wasn't great so it took a lot of filing to get at proper fit. Luckily the joint seems strong enough so it should be able to withstand the noseweight I need to add.

Back to cockpit!

As the lazy bugger that I am, I took the easy way out with the seats and belts:
49478295923_eaee3cac68_o.jpg

A brown wash was splashed around a bit to add some interest. If it looks good or not I'll see later on when I close the fuselage, or at least I hope so 😀

As much effort that Special Hobby added to the cockpit, just as much was ignored when it comes to the engine-parts. No intake, engine front and the exhaust looks quite boring.
49478997597_f70cd50894_o.jpg

There is off course a resin cone to add in the center but that doesn't help much. Still, the original doesn't have that much going for it either:
1024px-Rolls_Royce_Goblin_II_cutaway.jpg
Anyway, I realised that said exhaust will fall into the fuselage so I added some stops for that.

I had the brilliant idea to add the rear cockpit bulkhead early on, just to have something to do. Naturally it falls off once you sneeze...
49478295828_e88c83cced_o.jpg
More brown wash in the cockpit. My home built throttle lever is highly visible, so that's fun. What are people using to paint silver nowadays? I used to use Mihril Silver, but GW has a nasty tendency to change their entire paint line now and then and the current "silver" (called runefang steel) has very coarse pigments.

What's the stuff to use for tiny details?

Molotow pens?
49478295733_23a2ef5a09_o.jpg
The wash looks a bit overdone, but once everything is in place, it might turn out better.

Well, it's about time that I finish up the innards, and carry on with the major construction so lets see how that goes.
49478997387_04b75ede9c_o.jpg
I found that the simplest way was to first just glue the cockpit floor to the wall, since there is nothing the shows exactly how the hose gear bay should line up.

That little bay is also a bit off, or I might have attached it to the cockpitfloor at the wrong angle.
49478997332_a0302077e7_o.jpg
Suitable amount of force solves it, and since TETC work so quickly on this plastic, clamps are almost not needed.

Just to see how it looks
49478295573_4f0dbe3043_o.jpg
49478295513_f99b0b7d6a_o.jpg

With the canopy in place I'm sure not much will be seen, but at least one can spot the throttle!

I wonder how I should attach that darned instrument panel though. This could take some pondering, for sure. It also includes a delightful resin gunsight to be placed on top of it, so it will look busy!

The panel itself is of the etch-film-plastic variant, and although in theory this should produce a very nice panel, in reality this was not the case.
49478997142_fbb139641e_o.jpg
I think the film was not properly printed, or they didn't exaggerate enough because no dials of any sort can be seen.

A bit of wasted effort!

Oh well. Installing it will surely be a fun effort. I think the horn on the right should protrude far above the coaming...but we'll see!

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Christer A said:

What are people using to paint silver nowadays? I used to use Mihril Silver, but GW has a nasty tendency to change their entire paint line now and then and the current "silver" (called runefang steel) has very coarse pigments.

What's the stuff to use for tiny details?

Molotow pens?

The smallest Molotow is 1mm I think, so still quite big for such tiny details. I use Vallejo's Metal Colour range quite often. Nice paint and easily applied with small brush.

41 minutes ago, Christer A said:

I have a bunch of Vallejo Metal Color but it serms to be too runny when I use a brush.

Well, it could be better with more stirring I guess, and not use the paint that is in the cap...

Yes, you have to shake the paint well before use!

• Like 1

Mmm nice work, though you did have to do a bit to get it to come together!though it looks good and that's the important thing.

If you want a really nice chrome enamel paint then Model Masters (Testors) Chrome Silver is the way to got, their plain silver isn't too bad either.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot guys!

Dang! This one was hiding on page 3 now, and the last update was made on Thursday. Crikey.

While the storm Ciara is thundering outside, here's a little update

Wrestling in the instrumentpanel was a chore. There's nothing to aim at neither on the floor or the cockpit sides and the instructions are vague.
Well, I decided to just YOLO something and added a little strip on the floor-thing to have SOME support for the plastic and then just winged it. It sort of fits now.
49512271046_20d507a917_o.jpg
I also added a few grams of much needed noseweight.

Gluing together the fuselage sides was done nice and quick, with no real effort on my part. Not much to talk about there so I went on with the wings. Special Hobby wants you to build the complete wing first, and then marry it to the fuselage but all dry-fit runs showed that this was a bad idea. Well, it could've been a good idea if you like negative V-shape or large gaps....

Instead I went with the opposite of the Spitfire wing trick and started with the under wing. This I carefully sanded the top wing pieces until a satisfactory fit was achieved.
49512496687_09815b910f_o.jpg

Easier done on the left wing than the right one, on both models!

The Booms are what can make or break this kit.

I wanted to have as little gaps as possible, even in the wheel bays, which naturally led me to start with gluing the rear wheel well bulkhead to the boom, like this:
49512496632_f4c71d6cd0_o.jpg

Off course, not this leads to a rather bad looking joint on the important side:
49512496572_505a0c730e_o.jpg

Fear not, since the only thing that was glued was the bulkhead and it was quite easy to push the booms down to the correct position.
49511759943_c46e9b7b85_o.jpg
Gosh! Progress is swift now!

To ensure proper alignment of booms and stabiliser I brought forth a real hi-tech tool, the toothpick
49512271106_bfaa971d7a_o.jpggh
Since the TETC hadn't fully cured it was possible to jiggle things around till a proper symmetry had been achieved.

After that I brought out the filler
49512496342_bb4680df86_o.jpg

The nose got some dissolved sprue instead, since that ALWAYS looks bad.

This nows needs to harden for a while, and whiel that heppens, what should I do in the meantime?

Well...

I think you can guess!

• Like 14

Nice to see these in one piece and all boomed up. They really do look great and I didn’t realise how wide the J21R’s fuselage mid section was until seeing these model built up. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• 4 weeks later...

With an emphasis on small progress, I have something to report for the 21:s.

The wing tanks were not located properly on the wing. Special Hobby modelled them more or less symmetrical but they should have much more overhang forward than rear.

49618397691_af5f55a119_o.jpg
To fix that, I opened up the groove in the tank all the way back to where the to rear edges joins together.

To make for a good fit, one also needs to clip the wings a tad, but that just increases the roll-rate on the plastic and nothing else.
49618397671_83c87187ea_o.jpg
Et voilà as they say in Finland (or another country)
49618397646_f6a228faee_o.jpg
The big gaps in the front of the tanks were plugged with plastic
49618657952_a2b1d03f05_o.jpg
49618657912_540344da5e_o.jpg
With the tanks in place, time to break out the filler again!

I also assembled the rocket scaffolding for the A21

49617879798_e967109ea5_o.jpg

With full load of 10 14,5cm rockets, guns and fuel the combat radius on a low-low strike mission was 190km, which meant that from the bases in western Sweden the strike wing could attack hostile shipping on the western coast. To attack the real enemy on the eastern and south eastern coast, the squadrons needed to refuel on the way...

This was later on developed to what was called T-bases (T for Tankning I guess, which means refuelling base) which came into full use during the Lansen era, since Lansen was also quite short legged.

Well, basically all Swedish fighter until the Gripen had very short legs, just to emphasize to the big red neighbor that the Swedish Air Force were for defence, and not for assault of other countries...

In the nuclear craze of the 50:s when Sweden had its own A-bomb program the goal was to nuke all  eastern block shipping harbors in the Baltic Sea to stop the invasion before it could happen, but that's another story.

• Like 9

somehow I lost track of this thread (not hard considering the number of threads here!!!).

Nice progress and good to see you sorted out the tank issues.

Thanks guys!

I've started to sand everything now, and I hope to be able to lay down a primer coat during the weekend.

Meanwhile, I managed to get hold of one of these beauties:

49649511477_ee88e22728_o.jpg

Happiness!

Just need to add some turned brass pitot, resin guns, resin wheel wells and exhaust, and a pair of JP233:s off course.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Christer A said:

Happiness!

Just need to add some turned brass pitot, resin guns, resin wheel wells and exhaust, and a pair of JP233:s off course.

...to the J21R's, the Tornado or her??    My vote is her! :D

Ok so the Eduard Tornado is basically a re-box of the supposedly unbuildable Revell beast.....guess it at least now comes in a proper box!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right, even though the A36 is in the stash I'm a bit reluctant to start it...never tried a vacform before, and the details are very soft.

Nut in the Twin Boom country something has happened!
I decided to add the position lights on the wing tips with some 0,5mm rod.
49701980916_d154a339e7_o.jpg
Then I finished up the gun sights, and then steeled myself to start masking the canopy. I really hate that part...
49702297962_727efcb2de_o.jpg

But in the end I was able to paint some Olive green on it. The fit is not the best, but I hope that PPP will be able to plug the largest pats

Then I broke out the trusty UMP primer and got to work.
49701450183_e978a93a76_o.jpg
No alarming issues identified, and one can still see some of the rivets...

The boom/wing joint is anything but pretty though.
49702297912_615e7c36ee_o.jpg
I'll hose it down with some liquid sprue and see how that improves the situation...

But we're in the sand-fill-primer stage now.

That's progress!

• Like 3