Hasegawa 1/48 Draken Swedish AF Special

Rui Silva

And now the aftermarket goodies: Eduard P/E, canopy mask and some resin from their Limited Editon, XMM resin intakes, Quickboost/Aires Detail Set and Maestro Models brass pitot tube.

Hope to start working on the kit tomorrow, bye for now.

eee2930c4ffc1c1e63fbd72f36219d8e.jpg 
645a70c762a820ade3566b009b6f86fb.jpg

• Like 8

welcome along with a very popular choice....i may have to start "cutting -n- pasting" the welcome for Draken's as there's going to be so many......and rightly so.

Gosh that's a nice selection of AM stuff you have, a man after my own heart! :thumbsup: The only thing I don't have from that selection is the seamless intake...I may have to try and find some!

Well good luck with the build, another one I need to follow with interest, look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 1

Blimey, at this rate I’m gonna get all mushy about Drakens and want to add one of these 1/48 beauties to the stash. There’s a fair bit of money invested in those photos so yet again this is shaping as another great build to sit back and watch. 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, reini said:

Few more days, official start is on the 18th.

Hmm, I will take the time to check references for cockpit colours and kit reviews for any problems, thanks Reini.

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Gosh that's a nice selection of AM stuff you have, a man after my own heart! :thumbsup: The only thing I don't have from that selection is the seamless intake...I may have to try and find some!

I bought the resin intakes one month ago from https://xmold-modeling.com/ Service is fast and reliable.

The problem with so much AM is that the poor Draken would need a B-52's landing gear to cope with so much resin weight, I need to choose carefully what to use, specially at the rear end (vertical tail and exhaust nozzle).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

SAC do some landing gear for the Draken, so you can go crazy with AM resin! :D

https://www.ebay.com/p/665144859

Thanks Rich,

I usually don't like SAC stuff, they seem just poor metal copies of the original plastic; I have to look at the Hasegawa parts and figure if they look able to stand up to the weight of the AM goodies.

On 1/13/2020 at 1:09 PM, trickyrich said:

SAC do some landing gear for the Draken, so you can go crazy with AM resin! :D

Even better, I found that G-Factor has a brass landing gear set for the kit, ordered 2 sets from the USA, these are usually far better than the SAC ones.

• Like 3

Hi all,

First parts off the sprues: very good detail and "flash" non-existent.

Drakens on the ground (unpowered) have the elevons down, next step is looking at the Aires detail set and see if this is reasonably easy to do with the resin parts.

I bought Squadron/Signal "Saab 35 Draken Walk Around" and it's a very good reference book at a very good price, less than £14 from Amazon UK.

62a180ff56af39ce0ca67df328ffcc8a.jpg

• Like 5

A fine selection of bling to pimp up your Draken kit Rui :thumbsup: Good to see the 48th scale kit features seperate spine parts to cover the different versions as well.

• Like 1

The Aires resin set: excellent casting, especially the cockpit "bathtub", very complete and the ideal for the superdetailer, which I'm not!

The landing gear well resin parts are better than the kit parts but I will not use them: it's a lot of work and sometimes a lot of problems thinning the parts to fit, forget it! 

I will also not use the airbrake and Aden cannon parts, if someone wants them and/or the landing gear resin wells please PM me.

The elevon parts look good and I will remove the kit parts, this I find essential for a model on the ground to be realistic with elevons down.

7600aafd5d9720687f63617c2ea916d4.jpg

• Like 3

After about 3 hours of "elevontomy", here's the result. The wing "trailing edge" has to be thinned for proper fit of the elevons.

I'm very tempted to put a Viggen pilot in the cockpit of the "Natural Metal" J 35D and forget this tedious chore!

Bye for now.

84816d6837e8eb1c3d47eeae6412647a.jpg 

7b0aa6cf8285d28446b4f73b0fe81f38.png

Edited by Rui Silva
Spelling
  • Like 5

It will take a lot of modification to a resin Viggen pilot to be able to fit in a Draken cockpit.

This is partly due to the very reclined bang seat of Draken compared to Viggen but also that the Draken  cockpit is small! It almost look 1/72 scale in 1/48.

For a stalled J35F , I bought a Pilot Replicas Viggen pilot an no matter how much I boiled  him, it was impossible to fit 

In the end, I sent all Bader on him and chopped off the lower legs...

Edit, found a picture of this!

34817931571_f0cab1a37c_o.jpg

34817931271_f4b2ffdf74_o.jpg

Sorry for the thread drift.

Neat job with the elevons!

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Christer A said:

It will take a lot of modification to a resin Viggen pilot to be able to fit in a Draken cockpit.

This is partly due to the very reclined bang seat of Draken compared to Viggen but also that the Draken  cockpit is small! It almost look 1/72 scale in 1/48.

For a stalled J35F , I bought a Pilot Replicas Viggen pilot an no matter how much I boiled  him, it was impossible to fit 

In the end, I sent all Bader on him and chopped off the lower legs...

Thanks Christer,

So the choice is between an "elevontomy" of the airframe or a "badertomy" of the pilot? I'll have to think about it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi,

I've been busy working but also been looking up at references, for instance I've decided this "Swordfish" Draken will have only two centerline droptanks and no AAMs, according with the picture below.
Also looking at this and another picture it's obvious that when the Yellow numbers and insignia were repainted, the areas around in Dark Olive Drab and Dark Blue in the fuselage and fin/rudder were repainted too (note nose area around "10" and Flygvapnet cocarde); it will be interesting to paint the model in two tones of the same colours but I wonder why didn't the F 10 guys didn´t completely repaint their display Draken? The area around the cannon port is a bit fishy... is it painted in fresh Dark Blue or is it soot from gun firing?

4baf998bc12e5cb5112f553a3c15fe75.jpg

Edited by Rui Silva
Spelling
  • Like 2

Traditionally, all special markings were applied to aircraft that was at End-Of-Life, or was due for major upgrade. These types of Display markings were frowned upon and were almost always ordered to be removed at first light. 

If the squadron was to be disbanded, then it was possible to repaint one machine in special colors for one photo-shoot!

Fortunately, this is no longer practiced by SWAF.

I found this though

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/drakens-are-forever/

The featured paint scheme was applied around 1992. This machine was a personal solo display aircraft of Capt. Ingemar Axelsson, in which he performed on a number of airshows between 1991 and 1993. However, for the 1993 season the aircraft was re-painted light grey.

35586 took part in the last operational sortie of the Drakens in service with the Swedish Air Force, together with no. 40 of the same wing. Perhaps only a coincidence, but adding the individual numbers of the two aircraft (40+62) gives 102, and 102nd Squadron wast the very last to use the J-35.

I think the area around the gun port might be from gun firing though! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tack så mycket Christer!

It's good to know the story behind our models.

One thing I didn't mention in my previous post but the model in your link checks with the photo is the nose pitot tube: in 35586 is only painted in yellow (no black stripes) with the tip in polished natural metal.

Hi all,

As usual the Aires cockpit bathtub does not fit: the "floor" and sidewalls are already translucid and I think only a paper thin forward fuselage would allow the fuselage halves to close, I will rather use the Eduard PE than risking a big mistake just for detail sake. It's a pity because the detail is amazing.

• 5f0c417d660efa9b0c378a2ef7ebbd50.png

447a0f18f4e3a78529f155353c9cca6a.jpg
de6369d264968d6db216fee117af1ae7.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 1