1/72 Saab J-35F Draken - ## FINISHED ##

nimrod54

Just a place holder for now, I have a couple of builds from last year to complete before starting, but I will photograph the box and its contents tomorrow.

This is the 1990 boxing of the Airfix kit and as promised here are the photographs of the box and its contents. 

49379376502_4e0e7c7ac3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

49379376257_e8bb669d74_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49379177831_7573ab9068_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I think that one of the first jobs will be a sand and rescribe of the wings and fuselage.

• Like 20

44 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Nice!

Draken is the most beautiful Swedish aircraft there is.

Gotta agree. And I'm not even sure you need the word 'swedish' in that sentence 😎

Good luck with the build @nimrod54 ! Whats on your table now that you are working on finishing?

• Like 2

welcome along and first in with a Draken as well, one of many to be seen here I think.

It's a bit hard to say which aircraft is the most iconic in shape and associated with Sweden the Draken or Viggen.

An interesting bit of trivia, the Draken was one of the aircraft in the early selection process for the RAAF replacement of the Sabre, ultimately the Mirage IIIO/D was the winner. I wonder how it would have gone if it had been selected??

Anyway, good luck with the build, looking forward to seeing what you build.

• Like 2

Good to see the old Airfix Draken here and no doubt John will bring out the very best of what this kit has to offer. For mine, the Mirage III probably takes the honours for best looker, however I’d probably fall in love with Saab’s Draken should I ever view one up close. 

Can’t wait to see what you do with this kit John. Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

I thought that I would look for a couple of extras for this kit and picked up a Quickboost air scoops set and this Aries cockpit set, which says that it is suitable for the Heller kit, so I hope that I can tweak it for this one.

49399853222_ae0a2e1982_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 3

I was playing with the idea of a complete cockpit set for mine, but decided I would just get a more accurate bang seat and scratch build the rest as I was not sure the cockpits on offer would fit. I will be interested to see how you get on. I wonder how many variations on the colour scheme we will end up with!

Pete

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PeterB said:

I was playing with the idea of a complete cockpit set for mine, but decided I would just get a more accurate bang seat and scratch build the rest as I was not sure the cockpits on offer would fit. I will be interested to see how you get on. I wonder how many variations on the colour scheme we will end up with!

Pete

I looked at the bang seat option too Peter, but after browsing the website of that well known Lowestoft retailer I stumbled across this, so I thought that I would see if it was possible to fit it.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

In between working on the Seafox, I have managed to squeeze in some time on my Draken build, doing got most of the  planned rescribing of the major components yesterday. The fin, outer wings and inner wing areas of the fuselage halves have all had the initial work done. Once I have finished the upper and lower fuselage sections I can wash the parts, prime them and fill and repair where needed.

49547955602_4e1b630433_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49547955427_4363ff80d6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49547725361_a678fce364_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Ooooh nice work. What do you use to rescribe the lines?

Cheers H. to rescribe the lines on here I have used a Tamiya Plastic Scriber, which is great where access is easy but where things are tight, like the fuselage to wing join, I've used a rescribing tool from Trumpeter.

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Tidy work John :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind comment Col. It doesn't look that tidy when you are close up to it mate, but I'm sure that some superglue and a sand will sort out the areas where I have overrun or made a mistake.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have finished the rescribing of the major parts - completing the upper and lower fuselage and spine areas yesterday afternoon. These have all had an initial coat of primer and that has highlighted a couple of areas that will require further attention, but overall it has turned out OK. Time to push on and start some assembly work now.

49616778603_55f873ba93_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That rescribing has just transformed this old kit into the modern age! Looking very good from here John. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks a lot Dave, next job is to see if I can get the resin cockpit tub to fit.

wow that's a major bit or re-scribing work and it all looks so neat and made a huge difference!!! That's something I do struggle with....my straight lines seem to wander off most of the time! :whistle:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

As Dave says the act of scribing in the panel lines makes a massive difference to the old kit :thumbsup:

Cheers Col. It's not perfect but it has made a difference.

29 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

wow that's a major bit or re-scribing work and it all looks so neat and made a huge difference!!! That's something I do struggle with....my straight lines seem to wander off most of the time! :whistle:

Not quite finished yet Rich, there's still a bit to do around the nose - which I'll tackle once I have glued the fuselage together. I find that plenty of superglue to fill in any scribing mistakes helps, and the most important thing to keeping the lines straight is 'less water more single malt'. :winkgrin:

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

...the most important thing to keeping the lines straight is 'less water more single malt'. :winkgrin:

Like the sound of that formula :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I made a start on fitting the Aires resin cockpit parts this afternoon which is designed for the Hasegawa/Revell kit, but with a bit of sanding and some adjustments of the kits parts I managed to get it in. 

This is the original kit part.

49627230306_7c9c09036b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

And here is the result after a couple of hours work.

49626645698_85fbdd92c1_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49627163346_6148d09720_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49627436122_c9e0436423_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

There will be a bit of finessing to improve the fit and check that the seating of the Airfix canopy is OK.

Following on from the initial cockpit work, I set about removing the flaps and ailerons so that I can add some deflection to those later. I kept the cuts simple, and as can be seen, I have started to reinstate the counter balances to the port control surfaces, I'll also be adding a couple of actuators to the underside of these, along with the missing fuselage structure later in the build.

49627163086_4f243eaa2b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 11