Special Hobby 1/48 Viggen #finished#

Dansk

26 minutes ago, Colin W said:

No model shops in Koh Lak. In fact only 2 and a wholesaler now in the whole country. 

Enjoy the weather, nice and cool here in Pattaya. 

Colin 

Thats so sad really. Where are the 2 colin? Bangkok?

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 12:35 AM, Dansk said:

49372873693_019e100f2b_h.jpg

49373528322_f9f1a12436_h.jpg

49373327931_2f86ddbc74_h.jpg

You’re funny Craig 😄

By the way, back on the business side of things: i was contemplating that the kit has 2 centreline tanks, and i have instructions for the AJ but building the JA, so does anyone know which tank is the correct JA one and doEs the kit plastic look accurate for it? (sorry working ‘off-site’ here so apologies for requoting the non custom tank photos)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Sorry I can't help you with your tank question Paul, the one suggestion i can come up with is to use the one NOT specified in your kit's instructions as the kit is the AJ version.

Good idea craig but I was thinking that the Ja and AJ might share a tank and the recon aircraft have a different tank?

• Like 1

Hi Colin,

I received a pic of the JA tank mounted on the gun pack in my Viggen build if that is any help - fins re-arranged to get round the lack of clearance with the gun pack apparently.

Cheers

Pete

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Started up again on the viggen.

i printed out the ja instructions from scalemates and am cross referencing against the aj instructions with the kit.

49583027636_565a2998e5_b.jpg

been sanding the join on the intake trunks. Still need some filler and sanding going on here.

49583264152_ee2b685144_b.jpg

can someone tell me what is the colour of them?

...and is there a panel line between the splitter/fore section of the intake and the inner section and a paint colour difference?

• Like 4

here's a nice shot of an intake for you.

I asked similar questions for my original build. The intake inside is white...though quite grubby from people climbing in and out for compressor blade inspections (those in my photos are before I found out it should have been white.

These are a couple of reference photos for you.

IMG_2853-L.jpg

IMG_2855-L.jpg

One thing that is missing from the model is a wee support between the intake and fuselage on the lower side of the intake, similar in position to the one on the top. Plus there is one on the lower lip at the front

saab_ajsh_37_viggen_37918_011_of_100-XL.

• Like 4

Thanks so much for the input rich 🙏

49585744086_22a228d7dd_o.jpg

This is a great shot you found.
That demarkation/panel line (i marked red) is perfect as its pretty much where the kit pieces join too so i wont fill the join. 👌

Thats really quite a pronouned feature the (rivets?) screw heads here

thats gonna be tricky to get a riveter tool in as the kit is completely devoid of detail here 🤨

Are the trunks really supposed to be white rich? @Christer A do you know too?

So then i presume the x and y area are supposed to be different, white = x and metal = y?

Because y definately looks metal. Right? When comparing it to the missile rails.

49585245688_20f44c3d75_c.jpg

I like the detail scratched intake supports etc you added.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dansk said:

Thanks so much for the input rich 🙏

49585744086_22a228d7dd_o.jpg

This is a great shot you found.
That demarkation/panel line (i marked red) is perfect as its pretty much where the kit pieces join too so i wont fill the join. 👌

Thats really quite a pronouned feature the (rivets?) screw heads here

thats gonna be tricky to get a riveter tool in as the kit is completely devoid of detail here 🤨

Are the trunks really supposed to be white rich? @Christer A do you know too?

So then i presume the x and y area are supposed to be different, white = x and metal = y?

Because y definately looks metal. Right? When comparing it to the missile rails.

49585245688_20f44c3d75_c.jpg

I like the detail scratched intake supports etc you added.

No paint in the intakes, just very matt oxidized metal, as far as I know.

That's from memory of me crawling around in the intakes on AJ.

There might have been films of radar absorbent material attached to the outer curvature on, but not certain of this. On Gripen, which had some RAM in the intakes this was sort of olive green.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Back with a bang! Hopefully you had a good holiday? 

I followed Richies build for the intakes and painted them with a mix of silver and medium grey. They look like the pictures so I'm happy. X and Y are the same,  it's shadowing affecting the appearance.

My trunking lined up to the intakes well so no filler needed. 

HTH

Colin 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Christer A said:

No paint in the intakes, just very matt oxidized metal, as far as I know.

That's from memory of me crawling around in the intakes on AJ.

There might have been films of radar absorbent material attached to the outer curvature on, but not certain of this. On Gripen, which had some RAM in the intakes this was sort of olive green.

hiya christer brilliant just what i wanted to hear 👍🙏 Thank you.

6 hours ago, Colin W said:

Back with a bang! Hopefully you had a good holiday? 

I followed Richies build for the intakes and painted them with a mix of silver and medium grey. They look like the pictures so I'm happy. X and Y are the same,  it's shadowing affecting the appearance.

My trunking lined up to the intakes well so no filler needed. 

HTH

Colin 

thanks for asking colin thats really nice of you. Beautiful country you have there.

yes great to have a little sun, i tend to find i’m eager to get back home to the work bench near the end watching what you lot are making.

cool with your trunking. Im gonna post an update here on mine shortly.

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice work Paul, good to see your Viggen moving again.

Hope you had a good holiday mate, have you got an extra 2 weeks off "just in case" of any nasty viruses? :) 

Thanks Craig its nice to be back! No viruses to complain of (touch wood) although i could do with another two weeks off for a holiday on my own after the “holiday” in inverted commas with 4 small kids 😅

ok

Still working on the trunk seams, its really getting there now zzzz

49588433133_877604faa7_c.jpg

49589165562_605b129025_c.jpg

Added a few suggestive screw head / rivets on the intake splitter

49589165542_2f216e6f16_c.jpg

You can just about get a rosie the riveter in there.

49589165577_282e40a730_c.jpg

Im going about the intake trunking join in an odd order here but i think its a good way to try. Joined the intakes to the upper fuselage, then i’ll add trucking afterwards then finally adding the lower fuselage. Hopefully this allows for a good join. I think following the instruction order means its tricky for me to get the intakes to line up with the outer panels and inner trunks at the same time.

Lets see next stage if it pans out.

49588433168_a68f0de62e_c.jpg

49588923396_e5904fdcae_c.jpg

49589165582_82455d14dc_c.jpg

Gotta say: everythings fitting so beautifully so far... im not expecting that to comtinue though. Lets see

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 11

nice job on the insides of the intakes.

I was just re-reading my build, I don't know why I had white for this insides stuck in my brain as @Christer A gave me all the correct info then.

Just make sure you check the fit between the intakes and intake trunks, on mine it wasn't very good, hence why I did mine different, gluing the intakes to intake trunks first. As there's no wiggle room with the trunks they way they made them.

• Thanks 2

Thinking about this now....

The fan i.e. the back of the trunking, can't be seen in the final build. So why not saw the trunking in half down the vertical centre line and attach each side to the intake you have already fitted? Easy to fit and adjust.

You will need to replace the fan as it supports the mid fuselage join but this could be done with scrap sprue or card.

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? 

Colin 

• Like 1

Thanks for the good advice chaps. No worries with the white / silver Rich.

Good idea colin I know what you mean. Essentially having 2 trunks that are malleable allowing a better fit at the intake ends. 🤔💡

Gonna try and see how the whole unit fits first before attempting this surgery but brilliant!

Edit: thinking out loud here

i guess one could remove the complete blue section allowing the fan to be kept. And still slice the red?

49589673343_1ae8dc04ce_c.jpg

Edit 2: hold on.

the trunks are a structural part where they meet the fuselage port and starboard - So i don’t think its a good idea to fiddle with them right Colin? They sit in a groove. Or what?

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 2

I have another idea Colin: 💡

what about keeping all the back section as it was intended.

But just cutting the green area. That would allow a good wiggle on each side?

49590195931_cd02e18e2b_c.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 4

Sorry I was visiting a customer. 

The fan is structural as it overlays the central join. Any other strength can be replaced by adding tabs as per a limited run kit. I don't recall the same need for strength by the intakes. When I said cut vertically i assumed this would include the front (green) part as well. Whether you cut either or both depends on how much wiggle room you need. 

Colin 

• Thanks 1