Special Hobby 1/48 Viggen #finished#

Dansk

no I couldn't se it either. I have noticed recently there have in other posts been quite a few images that can't be seen or take forever to "load". I don't know if it's the forum software or settings on new cameras or hosting sight.

Anyway, you're getting real close now to having her completely buttoned up! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks chaps,

My word this is a big aeroplane. The mustang is the same scale!

49680802441_e6da09b0d2_b.jpg

well the putty monster is buttoned up, petals sorted, and work has started on sanding etc 

gonna get the lions share done before attaching the main wing and canards i think

49681092722_cd8a7ac375_b.jpg

• Like 3

the good thing is the panel lines are quite deep so you shouldn't loose any detail, though watch the lines around the intakes as they are quite fine and indistinct in places.

• Like 1

The Viggen is a big beast. Added a duo-pack to the stash yesterday so will hopefully be finding out just how big sometime soon but in the meantime your comparison with a Mustang is a great way to illustrate its scale.

• Like 2

It is big isnt it?

I’m quite enjoying getting this into some kind of shape

It’s really inspiring when you get that big delta wing on, It’s such a fabulous looking aircraft the Viggen.

Well, one of the wing joints fit really nicely! hurrah (maybe a freelancer from Tamiya was responsible for that small part of the model development 😁)

49685136828_b781541e60_c.jpg

....the other was of course a real PITA though.

All the joints (and there are a lot) have all been given a little black to show up the areas i need to fix

and i can see there’s still some work to be done

49685971397_436237c625_c.jpg

49685669496_216a9b667c_c.jpg

The worst got a touch of my newly aquired mr dissolved putty to try it out.

lets see how the next stage goes. onwards and upwards.

49685971402_26851e7405_c.jpg

49685669466_7ffa2582a7_c.jpg

I’m looking forward to getting the nose and some perpherals on to paint.

I was thinking of black basing it and mottling gray on top. 

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 4

Damn!

An important JA piece is missing 

49687975091_fc65fa15d7_c.jpg

Whether it's me losing it or it not being there in the first place i don't know, but its not there. Probably the former.

It's slightly hidden by the missile rails and tank but it's still very obvious. (all the pink areas)

49687441308_01daef365e_b.jpg

I don't know what to do?

In desperation I was considering trying to recreate something vaguely similar using the parts in yellow (but its such a complex shape 🙄)

49687441163_54b9fdd3e4_b.jpg

Note @trickyrich's build influence with the green dooberies by the way

• Sad 1

:D

That shape is an odd one, maybe use an old pylon to get the wedge shape and round off some rectangular plastic strips. then cut a V into the new plastic strip to fit it to the pylon.

It's a bit fiddly bit it will give you the bit you need. 

If you are really desperate I have the part you need and could post it to you. Don't know  how long it'll take to get to you though.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input fellas, that's really helpful and it's really appreciated particularly your kind send-it offer (again!) Rich🙏

Again time and cost might be a factor in this for the small part including sourcing one from fellow britmodellers.

And again I'm thinking my scratch building skills/experience don't weigh in good for the remake.

But adapting the Italeri ones could be the solution and within my meagre powers. (I forgot about the Italeri kit)

I'm not near the Kit right now but that could be a really elegant solution.

49688989418_300740e4b8_b.jpg

I have the Airfix Viggen also in the stash. Let me take a look if it does have a similar part.

I think it's the ECS cooling inlet. So it should be in the old box, too.

Alex

Edited by coneheadff
  • Like 1

Thanks for looking out for me Alex!
Ok this is really ugly right now but with a  bit of elbow grease i think it can be whittled into shape.

its a frankenstein of both kits and fits where it should on the tarangus kit.

49690873418_a5cbe042d0_b.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, trickyrich said:

that should work well!

i think you’re right Rich, the belly parts are really coming along, still looks a bit rough and rubbish but i think it might turn out ok!

49695677797_22fa31c79a_b.jpg

I’ve made 7 models since returning to modelling and i think i’ve done more sanding and filling on this viggen than all the others put together. Still at it, probably mostly due to my lack of skills than the kit to be honest, or maybe a bit of both.

I’m gonna steal the loadout from the revell kit, purely because green sidewinders and amraams look cool 😎 

(just killing the ejection pins firstly as a break from sanding ‘the beast’)

49694836493_de02dee620_b.jpg

(the belly tank is from the special hobby kit)

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 3

Good work Paul. I'd say you're just about there with the intake. Nice to see this one will feature a selection of death, or at least green pretend death, hung under it :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

that worked out well Paul.

Hmm  yes the SH Viggen is a wee bit special in that department. I think the model was put together by a committee that didn't actually talk to each other!

• Like 1

Ok, another round of clean up and rescribe and we’re ready to rock chaps 🤪

I’m going back on what i previously stated and will now prime in grey and preshade in black. 

the intake is on and good I’m really happy how it came out, the canards are on but need a bit of filling of course, (I used the kit parts as they were virtually identical to the resin), the front gear leg is on and the main gear legs are mostly constructed but not fitted yet.

49698732772_18a1fd0fb2_c.jpg

My next kit needs to be a nice tamiya or hasegawa fall-together thing, I’m not so patient (or good) with all this filling sanding scribing ad infinitum business. I think this kit was a little beyond my skills.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

My next kit needs to be a nice tamiya or hasegawa fall-together thing, I’m not so patient (or good) with all this filling sanding scribing ad infinitum business. I think this kit was a little beyond my skills.

I don't agree, to me, it looks like a solid build and will be impressive when completed, keep it up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks chaps, 👍

After more clean up finally I’m on to preshading: hopefully it will help disguise the mistakes a bit :)

edit: i made a bit of a booboo with a touch too thinned paint on the port wing leading edge going down to the elevator but that should be addressed easily.

The belly canon/intake came out a treat.

49702416137_cc828ea6d7_b.jpg

49701569028_f636c59191_b.jpg

49702444017_66ef9560f2_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 6