Special Hobby 1/48 Viggen #finished#

Dansk

Hurrah - the scandi gb is finally nearly here! :yahoo:

Here’s a placeholder for maybe the prettiest fighter ever IMHO

I’ll be starting from Special Hobby’s 1:48 AJ 37 ‘attack version’ Viggen boxing

49373528332_cd837507e6_c.jpg

But I will build it as this grey JA aircraft s/n 37442 below with the decals from revell’s kit
(and a few JA 37 bits and bobs from the revell also)

49373327601_63f8701259_c.jpg

49372873883_1c4c6742c4_b.jpg

For three reasons:
1 The splinter camo scheme is way too hard for me to do 🙄
2 my last three GBs all had BMF finishes 🥱
3 the gray with the dayglo red looks totally awesome 😎 

I have a few bits of AM on its way...
Resin posable canards 

49372873318_455c3070f7_c.jpg

metal pitot / aoa tubes

49373327591_3e7776dc6c_c.jpg

And i can see that i’ll need to upgrade the wheels, the kits look rubbish 😕

49372873648_f6ae7e9bd6_h.jpg

The special hobby kit has PE included and I will perhaps use the stencil data from the special hobby decals.

49372873608_2f2f36f69e_h.jpg

And thanks to the kindest gentleman @trickyrich  I have a JA belly canon and fuselage extension for the JA variant winging its way across the world

Thanks to @Christer A for sharing his valued expertise in getting this far.

I’ve read its a tricky kit to build so I hope I can manage it.
There doesn’t seem to be so much detail but the transparent pieces are totally distortion-free.

49373528312_5357c609ca_h.jpg

49373327911_56568e6d76_h.jpg
And its surprisingly big!

Here’s some inspiration for my own benefit 🤗 and an example of how i see the weathering.
49372933938_2c249f35bb_h.jpg

And finally the obligatory sprue shots...

49372873693_019e100f2b_h.jpg

49373528327_3db2c193b5_h.jpg

49373528322_f9f1a12436_h.jpg

49373327931_2f86ddbc74_h.jpg

49373327921_e3964ddb0d_h.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 16

Maybe only Draken is even more pretty? 😎

And I agree - as cool as splinter scheme is, gray with large dayglo numbers is cool too.

Good choice with the posable canards - as they are actually flaps in a Viggen. There is no separate control for them in the cockpit - but their use is tied to landing Gear. So they are usually down on the ground as the gears are down. But I think they can be adjusted by the ground crew.

• Like 6

Hi Paul,

I think like you I will go for the grey scheme on mine - not sure I have the patience for the splinter, and anyway the grey is growing on me - the Heller box art is slightly misleading as it looks almost silver!

Hi reini,

Interesting point about the canards when on the ground - I did not know that. I don't think I have ever seen it modelled that way, but then again I have not seen many Viggens.

Good luck with the build to both of you.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

V.I.G.G.E.N.

Nothing says Cold War in Sweden more than that this. It was the biggest, loudest most brutal beast there ever was. Everyone with a red star on it feared it, and back in the days Flygvapnet had almost unrestricted access to the whole airspace, making much use of the favorite sport of all Pilots: low level flying at 900km/h or more.

Ahhh, those were the days...

Great choice in markings. Calling fellow Swede and grey JA-Viggen extraordinaire @Aigore to lend a hand. His JA from F4 wing is Epic.

The master bits are excellent, as is the decision to replace the wheels.

I think that the Canard set is for the AJ though, since JA has two guide vanes per canard, but that's tiny tiny details 😎

Have fun now!

• Like 3

Thanks Chaps 

@PeterB Yes the heller box artwork looks like a bare metal AJ rather than a grey JA doesn’t it?

@Christer A just checked my order now and I did order the JA canards, but i mistakenly put up a web shot of the wrong canards. phew. You know your stuff christer ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

V.I.G.G.E.N.

Nothing says Cold War in Sweden more than that this. It was the biggest, loudest most brutal beast there ever was. Everyone with a red star on it feared it, and back in the days Flygvapnet had almost unrestricted access to the whole airspace, making much use of the favorite sport of all Pilots: low level flying at 900km/h or more.

Ahhh, those were the days...

Great choice in markings. Calling fellow Swede and grey JA-Viggen extraordinaire @Aigore to lend a hand. His JA from F4 wing is Epic.

The master bits are excellent, as is the decision to replace the wheels.

I think that the Canard set is for the AJ though, since JA has two guide vanes per canard, but that's tiny tiny details 😎

Have fun now!

You rang?

Ooooh Viggen builds!

That Italeri box, is that the old and unvenerable Esci plastic?

The big question is.....how anal do you want to get? 

I can supply two very anal build threads for inspirational purposes from another English speaking forum...

1. Upgrading the Esci AJ37 kit

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/227846-aj37-viggen-attackviggen/&tab=comments#comment-2173928

2.upgrading the Tarangus/special hobby kit.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/279927-ja37di-viggen/&tab=comments#comment-2663587

I'm at your service with any questions :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

welcome along Paul with what I reckon will be the most popular choice for this gb.....a VIGGEN!!!!  :yahoo:

It has to be one of my favourite aircraft and I so wished I had seen one in real life let alone even hearing or seeing one!

Hmmm the Special Hobby/Tarangus model is an interesting one to say the least. The AM stuff you got is perfect for it.

Don't worry about the Canards, the resin replacements come with extra wee guide vanes.

The issues you'll have are with the main joins, fuselage front to rear, wing to fuselage, and exhaust assembly to fuselage.....plus maybe intakes. Other than that it's a straightforward build! :D  Lots of test fitting is the key thing here.

Well good luck with her, I hope you enjoy the build, am looking forward to seeing her in the gallery.

I'll get those bit off to you in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow!! what an intro, this is already shaping up as being THE GB build to watch. I’ve got an original Heller kit still slowly making its way over but I won’t build it on here just yet. I’m sure all the great information and references thrown up in this thread will be one to bookmark for all future Viggen builds. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Aigore said:

You rang?

Ooooh Viggen builds!

That Italeri box, is that the old and unvenerable Esci plastic?

The big question is.....how anal do you want to get? 

I can supply two very anal build threads for inspirational purposes from another English speaking forum...

1. Upgrading the Esci AJ37 kit

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/227846-aj37-viggen-attackviggen/&tab=comments#comment-2173928

2.upgrading the Tarangus/special hobby kit.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/279927-ja37di-viggen/&tab=comments#comment-2663587

I'm at your service with any questions :D

Thanks so much Mr Aigore that’s very cool of you. With you and Christer on board I can’t fail. 

Those builds are awesome! Mine is not gonna be anywhere in the same league but maybe I can twist your arm for advice along the way? 

15 hours ago, trickyrich said:

welcome along Paul with what I reckon will be the most popular choice for this gb.....a VIGGEN!!!!  :yahoo:

It has to be one of my favourite aircraft and I so wished I had seen one in real life let alone even hearing or seeing one!

Hmmm the Special Hobby/Tarangus model is an interesting one to say the least. The AM stuff you got is perfect for it.

Don't worry about the Canards, the resin replacements come with extra wee guide vanes.

The issues you'll have are with the main joins, fuselage front to rear, wing to fuselage, and exhaust assembly to fuselage.....plus maybe intakes. Other than that it's a straightforward build! :D  Lots of test fitting is the key thing here.

Well good luck with her, I hope you enjoy the build, am looking forward to seeing her in the gallery.

I'll get those bit off to you in the morning.

Thanks Rich
It sounds like this kit is gonna be a good learning experience I think with all that!

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Wow!! what an intro, this is already shaping up as being THE GB build to watch. I’ve got an original Heller kit still slowly making its way over but I won’t build it on here just yet. I’m sure all the great information and references thrown up in this thread will be one to bookmark for all future Viggen builds. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

...and a fun learning experience in another way with the expert dudes on board 👍😎🤗

• Like 2

Well it looks like we "non Scandinavians" should be able to get a lot of help on both detail and colours, which frankly I am going to need I suspect. This should indeed be a very interesting GB.

Pete

• Like 2

Hi Dansk,

I noticed that your box claims to be 'updated ' and have an 'additional sprue'. Comparison of my kit shows that your additional sprue is at the top of the second sprue shot in your first post. It appears to be an extra 2 fins and maybe canards with separate flaps. How different are these from the others in the kit?

Thanks Colin 

5 hours ago, Colin W said:

Hi Dansk,

I noticed that your box claims to be 'updated ' and have an 'additional sprue'. Comparison of my kit shows that your additional sprue is at the top of the second sprue shot in your first post. It appears to be an extra 2 fins and maybe canards with separate flaps. How different are these from the others in the kit?

Thanks Colin 

Hi Colin

Heres some detail shots - I hope this helps answer your question.

The canards are posable actually i hadnt noticed until now 

you can see the tail differences here too.

looks like a RAT is included too i think?

49390098863_40ee76da4f_b.jpg

49390098808_a47bcef575_b.jpg[/url]

49390098783_3fb85b26d4_b.jpg[/url]

49390774267_0943936ae4_b.jpg

And a bunch of exciting goodies arrived today from the fine people at rebell hobby in sweden including the elusive JA belly canon and fuselage extension sprue 🤗🥳

49390109373_e4825b57fb_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 10

10 minutes ago, Christer A said:

I think the updated sprue with the posable canard flaps were available for free att one time, but now one needs to buy them.

Great that Rebell came through with the JA sprue!

Yes thanks for the tip Christer.

Max is awesome I like him a lot. 👍

• Like 1

Yay, all the goodies have now arrived ready for the build start tomorrow :yahoo:

The revell decals look a little red rather than dayglo orange to me though.

Note to self. Don’t let SWMBO see all this stuff. 😇

49398474748_17b915ffc3_h.jpg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Hewy said:

Smashing collection of goodies paul👍

I got a bit carried away 😁

i’ve never tried to paint a resin seat before Let’s see how that works out,

4 hours ago, Colin W said:

The resin wheels look a lot more meaty than the kit ones.

Colin 

Definately a huge improvement. 👍

• Like 1

...and we’re off to an interesting start.

The AM seat i had to shave down a lot both height and width-wise to get it to fit the tub.

I did this while dipping in water so that nasty resin dust is kept to a minimum.

The seat is not the one I originally ordered but instead the shop suggested this as the other was out of stock.

49415556506_b47b06f532_h.jpg

Snapped an extrusion off but no biggie, reattached it after

49415763137_cae74eeee2_h.jpg

49415556511_578cf7abe7_h.jpg

With that fixed i sanded off the kit’s consoles preparing it to receive the new PE.

Maestro models will have you cut and disregard the plastic IP but I think that looks like a disaster waiting to happen, so instead I’ve sanded off the relief and will apply the PE to the plastic part as per norm.

49415556546_7687bf5b71_h.jpg

49415078213_521b1267ea_h.jpg

(I’ve half thrown the kit seat together also as a back up if my painting skills on the resin seat would fail.)

Initial build parts have had a lick of black primer together with the engine fan and thrust reverser petals.

49415556551_60c20ae3c3_h.jpg

I thought the resin seat looked rubbish to begin with but Figured that would be disguised once it was primed...

...But jjjjeeezzz... 😳 

49415913722_bd0b7d5d97_h.jpg

It looks like some carved rock sculpture of a seat fashioned by Stevie Wonder! 😎🤪

It’s totally :poop:

I’m gonna use the kit part instead!

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

nice update and great you already started! will save me some trouble!

The canards on the additional sprue, as well as the fin are supposed to correct the original parts as in mine, or the resin replacements do. (the canards flaps are wrong shape if you compare them, the fin slightly different proportions in respect to the ~mid fin pitot) 

great that SH / Tarangus updated the molds. , I need to get such a sprue for my attack version..... . I think the 2-seater already has them included as well 

regarding the Maestro seat... I can only support your opinion...... looks like  s. big time...  maybe it was thought for the Airfix/ Esci/ Italeri (not REVELL in your case!) kit?

21 minutes ago, exdraken said:

nice update and great you already started! will save me some trouble!

The canards on the additional sprue, as well as the fin are supposed to correct the original parts as in mine, or the resin replacements do. (the canards flaps are wrong shape if you compare them, the fin slightly different proportions in respect to the ~mid fin pitot) 

great that SH / Tarangus updated the molds. , I need to get such a sprue for my attack version..... . I think the 2-seater already has them included as well 

regarding the Maestro seat... I can only support your opinion...... looks like  s. big time...  maybe it was thought for the Airfix/ Esci/ Italeri (not REVELL in your case!) kit?

Yes the seat was listed for the airfix etc kit

Does that mean the new sprue renders the Resin canards superfluous?

the primed seat reminds me of han solo frozen in carbonite somehow?! 🤪

spacer.png

49415913722_bd0b7d5d97_h.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6