F-14A canopy runied! Help!

willsm

Hi all,

Some advice needed. I was in the process of removing some maskol from the clear plastic canopy of the tomcat I am working on. Being a bit impatient I decided to use some Mr Tool cleaner to spedd up the process. Big mistake. Some sort of reaction took place and to cut a long story short, the canopy is FUBAR. No way to recover it, the plastic has just messed up completely. I have been working on this tomcat for months and so I am understandably freaking out!

The model I am working on is a Hasegawa F-14A 1:48 tomcat, model number 51508, as seen here:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/48-hasegawa-14a-plus-tomcat-special-1854032403

This model was made in 1989 and so the chances of finding a "spare" canopy sprue for sale anywhere is virtually zero. Hasewaga do not seem to have a presence for replacement parts? Is this the case?

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a replacement canopy sprue for this model? I don't want to have to fork out for a whole new model just to use the canopy sprue! (But ultimately, if I have to, I probably will, as I have laboured on this model for a long time and it looks great).

Thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, willsm said:

This model was made in 1989 and so the chances of finding a "spare" canopy sprue for sale anywhere is virtually zero. Hasewaga do not seem to have a presence for replacement parts? Is this the case?

Hase spares have been discussed before, seems possible, but a hassle.  You need to ask the UK importer, ore maybe the US importer, 

this is the most recent thread, which discusses this  etc

HINT - the site search is not great, I found the above, and others by putting "britmodeller hasegawa spares" into google.

Date of kit manufacture is not that relevant, when Hase last issued a kit with that canopy sprue is. 

this page has a list of what is in each Hase kit

https://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48d.htm

a look says the sprue L is the clear parts, so ANY Hase F-14 will have the right bits. And there are lots.....

So,  I suggest trying the spares route,  looking for a cheap kit (eg a started or incomplete one on ebay perhaps) and if you make use of this place, when you hit 100 posts, you can ask in our wanted section.

Unfortunately, all your options are going to require time, patience and effort.... and most likely cash..

Finally, if the canopy is open, perhaps one from another kit may suffice.  I know nothing about F-14s, or kits of, but there are plenty of folks here who do.  You may get lucky and someone has a spare... 

HTH

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Hase spares have been discussed before, seems possible, but a hassle.  You need to ask the UK importer, ore maybe the US importer, 

this is the most recent thread, which discusses this  etc

HINT - the site search is not great, I found the above, and others by putting "britmodeller hasegawa spares" into google.

Date of kit manufacture is not that relevant, when Hase last issued a kit with that canopy sprue is. 

this page has a list of what is in each Hase kit

https://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48d.htm

a look says the sprue L is the clear parts, so ANY Hase F-14 will have the right bits. And there are lots.....

So,  I suggest trying the spares route,  looking for a cheap kit (eg a started or incomplete one on ebay perhaps) and if you make use of this place, when you hit 100 posts, you can ask in our wanted section.

Unfortunately, all your options are going to require time, patience and effort.... and most likely cash..

Finally, if the canopy is open, perhaps one from another kit may suffice.  I know nothing about F-14s, or kits of, but there are plenty of folks here who do.  You may get lucky and someone has a spare... 

HTH

Thank you very much indeed, that is very useful.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, willsm said:

Andre,

I've found a UK distributor (Hanants) and have ordered the clearvax set. Thank you very much! Glad I asked here.

Glad to have been of help!

Cheers,

Andre