1/50 Aretesania Latina revenue cutter Dallas, 1815

Hello,

I have just finished building the Artesania Latina revenue cutter Dallas, 1815.  During the early 19th century, the American Revenue Marine (Coast Guard) was engaged in a variety of roles, from enforcement of revenue laws to the suppression of slave trading and piracy. The Dallas is typical of those cutters employed by the Revenue Marine at that time.  This is my second wooden scale model ship (my first was the Artesania Latina schooner Rhoda Mary, also posted on this website).

The stem-piece, keel, stern-post and rudder were of different shades of walnut wood, so I stained them to make them all look the same.  I continued this theme by staining the bulwark and added a second strip of stained walnut to the wale.  In addition I planked the transom using stained walnut strips, and stained the masts and spars.  The eagle, stars and lettering on the transom are after market items, as are the barrel, buckets, and stand.  Thank you to Cornwall Model Boats and Blue Jacket Ships for supplying these parts.

The instructions in this kit were much better than those provided in the first model ship I built.  This was a great model for a novice like myself to build.  I would like to thank Bart Gradecki for posting photos of his build, also on this site, as they helped me tremendously, and to all who left comments and encouragement in the work in progress section.  Thanks!

As always, comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,

Iain White

IMG_1372 IMG_1373 IMG_1374 IMG_1375 IMG_1376 IMG_1377 IMG_1378 IMG_1379 IMG_1380 IMG_1381

• Like 17

• 5 weeks later...

Beautiful build!

You should take photos with the background much further from the ship and the lighting placed higher, to avoid those pesky rig shadows on the wall, that destroy the impression of your rigging.

Excellent modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hello lain,

Thanks for posting your excellent finished model.

Graceful, as mentioned above is the right word for this model.

Hope to see more of your skillful work on this site.

Regards, Orion.