Airfix 1/35 Stuart Honey

Thought I'd take a break from Aircraft modelling for a while and have a crack at some armour for a change. I've not completed a tank model for over 30 years so it was a new learning process. Saw this in a local Hobbycraft store and was immediately taken by the stunning box art so i thought I'd have a go. I've always had a soft spot for the 'Honey' especially in the desert scheme. Build was pretty straightforward, a lot quicker than anticipated. Paints are airbrushed...a mixture of Vallejo and Tamiya (which the latter I'm quickly becoming a massive fan of). Weathering was quite minimal as I'm not brave enough to go full pelt with loads of sand and mud yet. Added some panel line wash and some weathering powder here and there, I probably could have done a little more but I'll learn more on my next build. Comments and tips appreciated. Thanks for looking.

IMG_20200112_151902

IMG_20200112_151933

IMG_20200112_151952

IMG_20200112_151941

IMG_20200112_152011

IMG_20200112_151919

IMG_20200112_151933

• Like 21

Beautiful re-creation. Love it 👍

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 15:49, binbrook87 said:

Thought I'd take a break from Aircraft modelling for a while and have a crack at some armour for a change. I've not completed a tank model for over 30 years so it was a new learning process. Saw this in a local Hobbycraft store and was immediately taken by the stunning box art so i thought I'd have a go. I've always had a soft spot for the 'Honey' especially in the desert scheme. Build was pretty straightforward, a lot quicker than anticipated. Paints are airbrushed...a mixture of Vallejo and Tamiya (which the latter I'm quickly becoming a massive fan of). Weathering was quite minimal as I'm not brave enough to go full pelt with loads of sand and mud yet. Added some panel line wash and some weathering powder here and there, I probably could have done a little more but I'll learn more on my next build. Comments and tips appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Edited by Julien
please DONT quote all the pictures in a thread
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi Binbrook,

It does look to be a nice kit.

I'd like to have seen a bit more in the way of weathering, but it could easily be a 'fresh off the boat' Honey, so it's perfect.  If you can manage panel lines, you can manage other pin washes/washes and with a bit of dry-brushing and streaking you'll be a few steps closer to full weathering.

My only tip would be when you take photos, try to have a blank background. The box art is lovely, but your honey gets lost against it.

Rearguards,

Badder.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Hi Binbrook,

It does look to be a nice kit.

I'd like to have seen a bit more in the way of weathering, but it could easily be a 'fresh off the boat' Honey, so it's perfect.  If you can manage panel lines, you can manage other pin washes/washes and with a bit of dry-brushing and streaking you'll be a few steps closer to full weathering.

My only tip would be when you take photos, try to have a blank background. The box art is lovely, but your honey gets lost against it.

Rearguards,

Badder.

Thanks for the comments and tips 👍 I try some drybrushing but don't think the photos have shown it up too well. I've got some Vallejo pigments for my next model so I'll be a bit braver 😁

11 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice model. If I remember correctly, this is one of Academy's kits, repackaged by Airfix. It's got a few issues, but it's still a good kit.

John.

Yes I think it is the Academy kit, still goes together well though. Highly recommended 👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...