1/35 Tamiya Kübelwagen +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

11 minutes ago, Vaastav said:

Looks very nice.

How do you prevent the glass from fogging when it is glued?

Hi Vaastav - previously I have used PVA glue as it dries clear - but I find if you do it at the right level of thinness it can be a bit weak.  I recently bought some UV curing glue and used it on my Opel Truck - it dries instantly and very firmly when you shine a small UV torch on it and doesn't fog the plastic - but my first attempt wasn't 100% successful - I put a bit too much on...

l_revell-39625-uv-glue-2.jpg

I shall try to be neater this time :) Steve

• Like 4

...well in between twiddling my thumbs and peeping out the window at the weather I've managed to fix the other door thingy on at the back - which goes behind the rear seat...

KUB072.jpg

...it actually lines up too - when you pop the top on...

KUB074.jpg

I might as well get the last door on - which is to be 'posed in the open position'...

KUB075.jpg

No pain no gain eh :hobbyhorse:

• Like 7

On 2/1/2020 at 11:15 AM, BIG X said:

I've put the dashboard in place - along with the cross bar which has 4 rifle grips...

I'm still a bit annoyed that there isn't a decal for the dash display - I saw at least 3 at the Bolton show and they all looked like they had a decal.  I intend to 'bodge it' - but a proper decal would have been better.

Archer Transfers (available from Historex Agents) produce a set of instrument decals for the Kubelwagen and Schwimmwagen

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Archer Transfers (available from Historex Agents) produce a set of instrument decals for the Kubelwagen and Schwimmwagen

Hi Richard - do you have a link - so I can find them?

Well the door is on & setting fast - thanks to Tamiya quick set TET.  The instructions have a handy diagram so you can set it at the correct jaunty angle...

KUB076.jpg

so with the glue on and the chassis over the diagram...

KUB077.jpg

...a quick wiggle and it's in place.  Here you go...

KUB078.jpg

WEATHERFLASH!!!

The clouds are lifting and there is even a hint of sunshine - catch you in a bit...

KUB075a.jpg

:clap2: I think I'll need my bobby hat though :cold: 

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Coming together quickly and looking superb, can't wait to see it in paint

Roger

Oh I don't know about quickly Roger - it seems like I have been tinkering for weeks - but I just got the primer on - I'm just sorting a couple of pix - Steve

• Like 2

Flippin eck - it's been just like D-Day - waiting for that vital 'window in the weather' - but I've got there...

KUB079.jpg

KUB080.jpg

don't panic - it's still in 2 bits - for painting...

KUB081.jpg

I'm going to give it time to cure - as Mourinho is going head to head with Pep and the boys shortly...

C'mon City!!!

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

49 minutes ago, BIG X said:

as Mourinho is going head to head with Pep and the boys

Nope, sorry you lost me there. I thought it might be rude. Had to switch on google translate and it came up football. Me no speakie, Monsewer.

Anyhoo, back to modelling. Slug damage, Weather, Nutty Neighbour, Door, Primer, Result. Ticks all the boxes, Happy days. Have a good one.

Pete

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nope, sorry you lost me there. I thought it might be rude. Had to switch on google translate and it came up football. Me no speakie, Monsewer.

Anyhoo, back to modelling. Slug damage, Weather, Nutty Neighbour, Door, Primer, Result. Ticks all the boxes, Happy days. Have a good one.

Pete

OOOH - a tense first half - 0-0 - but City have had 9 attempts on goal - WELL at least it gives the primer time to dry properly ;)

...and IF we win we'll only be 19 points behind Liverpool :doh: 

29 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

It's coming on nicely Steve, and ignore that "Confused" from me. That was the result of an twitchy trigger finger.:mg:

John.

Don't worry John - you can always go back and change a response - maybe to 'sad' - I'm as sad as they get at the minute 2-0 to Tottenham :sick: as a 🦜 :crying:

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Don't worry John - you can always go back and change a response - maybe to 'sad' - I'm as sad as they get at the minute 2-0 to Tottenham :sick: as a 🦜 :crying:

What a mess. The VW looks great though.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, BIG X said:

Morning Pete - unfortunately that trained blue slug has bit me in the boot.  I left him on too long and this is the resultant mess...

KUB073.jpg

was this a result of chemical reaction or did adhesive seep under the blue goo?

body & chassis look good in primer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, s.e.charles said:

was this a result of chemical reaction or did adhesive seep under the blue goo?

body & chassis look good in primer.

It was sadly adhesive seep - as you probably know TET works via capillary action and found it's way under the blutak.  When I came to pull it off I should have let it harden - before going at it with a scalpel - will I ever learn :doh:

• Sad 2

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 13:40, s.e.charles said:

prototype question: do we know what the engraved letters on the fuel tank signify?

thanks

Sorry I forgot to come back about this...

The lets on the tank are

R - Z

A

in a triangle  - R is the reserve tank - Z is the main fuel flow & the A is a neutral or off position.

The stop cock for the 3 positions is in under the dashboard - centrally located.

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Morning Folks - I've been having a very interest morning watching all the aborted landings at Manchester Airport (Ringway ;)) on Flight Radar 24 - it's absolute hell up here...

w1.jpg

...even the nutter next door has taken his flag down & the road at the front is like a river - coming down from the hill...

w2.jpg

https://www.flightradar24.com/53.43,-2.12/9  A Virgin flight from Bridgetown did 4 attempted landings before diverting to Glasgow / a couple of SAS flights tried several times before diverting all the way back to Oslo & Copenhagen.  Currently an Emirites A380 from Dubai is circling for his second attempt - brave souls.

...UPDATE - the A380 has flown all the way to Frankfurt - but small flights are now getting in no problem :doh:

• Like 2

WOW - where do the days go???  It's already 2pm & I've been wasting another precious Sunday.  I have got some work done this weekend - so time for a quick update.

With everything primed last weekend I got some burnt iron on the insides of the wheels / on the engine / axels etc...

KUB082.jpg

I also found the slats across the backs of the seats where metal springs...

KUB083.jpg

KUB084.jpg

I then filled in the gaps with watered down dark earth - the rest of the seating & the canopy got a brush too...

KUB085.jpg

These are now ready for a gloss coat & then I'll add a black wash to fill the crevices.

• Like 4

The main chassis got it's coat of German grey...

KUB086.jpg

KUB087.jpg

The 'accident' with the TET insode the boot doesn't look 'too bad' now...

KUB088.jpg

It's far from perfect - but the tools that need inserting may hopefully disguise it some more.

• Like 5